IGNORED

Bristol Boy - a thought provoking perspective

NickJ

13 hours ago, NickJ said:

It would be a pity if Bristol Boy's view was restricted to the limited numbers who frequent Ziderheads. Bristol Boy used to post on here, a lot, for those that don't know, but these days puts his opinions across on Ziderheads only. But he is also Ian of Twentyman Talks Back fame.

Here goes. His reply to Robbored (who goes under "Ashton Alf" on Ziderheads):

Yes, it's a fact that City have done better this season however I would have thought that was to be expected having spent £9m on two players that you couldn't even bring to mind yesterday.Millions have been squandered on others who can't even get in the team or the squad.

28 signings & even allowing for loans that have gone back,only 5 started yesterday.One of those was here before LJ came near the place.

Up to Xmas, I thought LJ had cracked it & come up with a formula.Loads of positive comments get GT to play them back to you.

Since then, it's been all downhill in the main.The form has been dire-relegation standard & yesterday's substitutions to close the game out were nothing short of stupid.I've outlined what they should have been in the R&R & it was easy to see.

Jan was an abject failure & in terms of being "difficult", (MA Quote) that's the way it is for every club in the League particularly for those without a multi billionaire backer.

We are now "Hunted instead of Hunters" because our cup run showcased our better players! So is the answer not to do well, because if that's what he wants then he's cracked that since Xmas.So say, clubs wanted Flint.In reality one club, three bids highest. one for Flint £2.75m.

Not linked with any quality SBC players only L1/2 & players struggling at other SBC Clubs.

His job is to do the "difficult things".I liken it to a brain surgeon......fucking difficult job, that............but if you lost one of your nearest & dearest because they fucked an operation up & then they excused it because it was "difficult" I don't suppose you'd be to pleased.If it's to difficult pack the job in & fuck off so someone else can do it.You can take the scout that found Diony with you!!

Our loan signings have been wretched apart from Tammy.Now we're getting fined for Kent not playing & have fucked the relationship with Liverpool another bastard master stroke from the bloke you think is a genius.

Remember this-Twice fuck all is fuck all & we have regressed since Xmas in a way that should deeply concern you unless you want to be in League One in 2019/20.

Look at the managers/coaches of the top five clubs & you won't see anyone learning on the job who's won fuck all in the way of promotions love them or hate them.

So, my opinion is that, like many others, I would have taken a 10th place finish in August because we almost got relegated last time out-However, having been second at Xmas, I, unlike you, find it completely unacceptable that we have regressed to our current level & that the Board didn't seize the day, just like when GJ was here.

LJ told us that he has final sanction on all incoming transfers in terms of whether he wants the player or not so the ones signed are his players.

Want some leaders? Then fucking well sign some when you're checking their DNA.

MA's job is to do the deals, run the scouts etc, etc..........How's that gone? The bloke we employ in Scandanavia wants shooting.

I'll add, I'm not opinionated-I have opinions-look up the difference.

Progess v last season, yes up until Xmas agree 100% since then, regression at an alarming rate & my real fear is that LJ/MA & his army of coaches have been unable to address it over 22 games, almost half a season.We had a 100% available squad yesterday.

Thanks Nick for sharing.  I think Ian talks a lot of sense on BBCRB, if not a bit on the extremes.  He’s certainly not always having a go, he’s sees things  that a lot of us see, and is passionate in the way he puts it across.  Saturday I agreed with everything he said bar the "I’ll drive him to West Brom myself" comment.  I don’t think LJ deserves that, but it’s a common phrase, and I take it with a pinch of salt.  Geoff was antagonised by it.

12 hours ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Our scouting/transfer policy is not working and needs sorting and I believe the reported possible summer signing of Marley Watkins is testament to that (don't get me wrong he may well end up as a great signing) but the logic behind it is 'he was a good signing for me at Barnsley ergo he will be a good signing for me now', ignoring his current form and situation, ah but maybe he is a leader?

They say "every dog has his day" and without purposely using this about Marley (the film about the dog), I think his time at Norwich probably showed he peaked for a very short spell at Barnsley.  He was exactly the player I expect LJ to sign, and exactly the player City usually sign....and exactly the player I wouldn’t.  City, as a club, have historically recruited players who play well against us, and then realise that was as good as it got.  Massive generalisation I accept, but you get my point.

10 hours ago, Fuber said:

Kodjia, Baker, Fredericks, Robinson, Bennett - Id take all of them now, and we actually ended up signing one of them. Even our backups on paper werent bad at the time i.e. Matthews, Pearce, Gladwin, Moore, Imagine if the scouting team in Cotts' reign had access to the kitty we'll have if Reid and Bryan go. Id be a lot more confident.

The only truly bad signings I can recall are El-Abd, Hamer, and Cox. Two were loans and El Abd was free (and on paper at the time seemed a good signing, was also Cotts first one). Garita was a harmless punt.

Cotts lover here, but some of the above might be stretching it a bit.  The first 5 you mention, yes sir.  Robinson was a real shame.  Only saw him twice, but he should’ve replaced Freeman.  He was on Kodjia’s wavelength.  

Re the second list, Matthews was good, but second loan was awful.  Think he was playing for a Wales squad place and when he didn’t get it, though eff it.

Pearce - solid / Bailey Wright, when fit, a younger version.  An either / or for me.

Gladwin - reminded me of a lower league Waddle at Swindon....injured, never recaptured that Swindon form.

Moore - came with a hernia problem, didn’t really fit our 352, but the little I saw of him, I knew he could defend.  Virtual ever-present in a Reading side since.  Can play left or right CB too.

Re the third list, El-Abd, played in the wrong position.  But if you can’t blsme Cotts because it was a good signing on paper, you can’t blame LJ for a couple of his either.

Hamer - the original "crisp packet hands".  Had a stormer re Boro, and shockers in more than one too.

Cox - just not fit

On 23/04/2018 at 10:48, NickJ said:

Sorry but who said that it was?

Well you said it would be a pity if his views were limited to Ziderheads, so I guess you might conclude that his comments maybe more valid....not that I think so mind, just another negative thread about the club, I just don't have the words to express how much I like this post!

Vote...it's a Democracy.  

2 hours ago, Enter Sandman said:

Reid & Pack I agree. 

I don’t think Bryan will be sorely missed and Flint is easily replaced / upgraded. It’s only his goals at the other end that’ll really be missed. 

As with Bobby, Flint would be extremely difficult to replace imo.

Probably the 2 players who've come closest to consistently maintaining their pre Christmas form during the slump.

Hard to imagine any City fan remains unconvinced by Flint and dismisses his contribution and importance to the team.

Bryan I'd agree with, he can look impressive at times but also produces patchy performances where he can appear disinterested.

Lloyd Kelly looks ready to make that position his own.

I think all 4 are highly important for different reasons.

• Reid- His goals and his technical ability. Plus his ability to either lead the line, or come back. Most Important Player?
  • Pack- Our passing midfielder, undoubtedly so.
  • Flint- Not our captain in title but our defensive leader- could even say captain in name only. Lynchpin, can also deliver the odd important goal...
  • Bryan- As Left back perhaps, but he's only 24, he's kicked on this season and crucially he can play LB- but that possibly isn't his best position. Left midfield/Wing or maybe even left wing back.

IMO all four are definitely highly important- and more crucially would be hard to replace.

20 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

As with Bobby, Flint would be extremely difficult to replace imo.

Probably the 2 players who've come closest to consistently maintaining their pre Christmas form during the slump.

Hard to imagine any City fan remains unconvinced by Flint and dismisses his contribution and importance to the team.

Bryan I'd agree with, he can look impressive at times but also produces patchy performances where he can appear disinterested.

Lloyd Kelly looks ready to make that position his own.

Trouble with Flint is that he has been part of a defence that has constantly caved in time and time again. Not saying it's just down to him mind.

1 minute ago, Super said:

Trouble with Flint is that he has been part of a defence that has constantly caved in time and time again. Not saying it's just down to him mind.

He's consistently City's strongest defensive link and although he didn't have his best game on Saturday he did OK. If the other 3 defenders are well underpar even a CB performing well will still be part of a poor defence overall.

Pisano and Bryan were poor against Hull imo, Baker, as he often does, occasionally appeared lackadaisical. While Flint is not perfect he never hides and has a high standard he very rarely falls below.

Flint sent one of their players hurtling into the hoardings with a perfectly timed and very aggressive sliding tackle on Saturday to put a marker down to the team and get the crowd going.

A perfect example of his competitive nature and will to win - unmatched in the current team imo. - and if possible we need to rebuild the defence around Flint because his commitment and leadership by example is never in question.

I'm not a fan of a few of this team and wouldn't be overly bothered if they moved on, but losing either Flint or Bobby would be a huge blow to our chances imo.

5 hours ago, 1bristolcity said:

Well you said it would be a pity if his views were limited to Ziderheads, so I guess you might conclude that his comments maybe more valid....not that I think so mind, just another negative thread about the club, I just don't have the words to express how much I like this post!

Vote...it's a Democracy.  

I thought the analysis, whether you agree with it or not, was - leaving aside the over use of fuck (although obligatory on Ziderheads) - on a level that you rarely get on OTIB, and included several valid points never raised by our local journalists.

Hence worthy of a wider audience.

10 hours ago, havanatopia said:

this is assuming the loss of Flint, Bryan, Reid & Pack. 

10 hours ago, havanatopia said:

We will be in or around the bottom 3 all of next season if those 4 are sold.

Firstly I think this thread has been one of the more interesting ones around a familiar theme - sorry I missed it in real time.

But:

Loss of Flint - gives us chance to pair Wright and Baker (still with Vyner / Maggers as back up)

Loss of Bryan - Kelly (not immediately) but within a season after a sustained run in the first team.

Reid - agree a big loss but we would need Pato to step up

Pack - he has as many average days as good ones over a season, he is a very strong / astute player, but perhaps we would need to change style and play to Hegelers strengths.

You can't say we would necessarily be bottom 3. 

On 23/04/2018 at 13:35, Jack Dawe said:

I planted 3 bags of potatoes two weeks ago and all I've got to show for it so far are a few ****ing leaves poking up through the soil. I had hoped to be harvesting and devouring me own spuds by NOW NOW NOW but apparently there won't be any until July or something.

Absolute shambles.

I planted 3 bags of potatoes two years ago. The first green leaves appeared quite quickly and I was quite excited, but almost equally as quickly they stopped growing and a lot of them went bad. I weeded a few out halfway through the growing season and tried to bed in some replacements, but nothing happened. In the end there were only a few more signs of life from some of the original plants, and at harvest time we had just enough for a celebratory plate of chips.

As a result I started this growing season by planting another 3 bags of potatoes. Again the green shoots arrived quite quickly and I was very excited, particularly when a few of them shot up, and withstood some fairly inclement weather. But before I could announce a harvest banquet like no other, once again all the plants started wilting away. I did transplant in a fully grown potato plant from a big farm in France but I'm beginning to think they've sent me a stone with a dandelion plant sellotaped to it. 

Even though the leaves on this crop are now brown and half the plants appear to have given up, some of my friends say that the fact they were growing earlier in the year is progress, even though I'm sat here with only enough for a plate of bloody chips again. Other friends say I don't actually know how to grow potatoes at all. I prefer to listen to our chief horticulturist, who always says it's about the seeds we choose. We've just agreed that we should have been growing carrots.

I reckon with another three harvests I'll have this cracked, and I'm hoping no one has noticed that I've had more trips to the garden centre and spent more money there than all the prior gardeners put together. I wouldn't mind so much but for some reason the crops that the last two gardeners had already planted before I got here are all still thriving at the centre of the vegetable patch, and I've taken to re-planting them among my crop so it looks like I know what I'm doing.

36 minutes ago, Olé said:

I planted 3 bags of potatoes two years ago. The first green leaves appeared quite quickly and I was quite excited, but almost equally as quickly they stopped growing and a lot of them went bad. I weeded a few out halfway through the growing season and tried to bed in some replacements, but nothing happened. In the end there were only a few more signs of life from some of the original plants, and at harvest time we had just enough for a celebratory plate of chips.

As a result I started this growing season by planting another 3 bags of potatoes. Again the green shoots arrived quite quickly and I was very excited, particularly when a few of them shot up, and withstood some fairly inclement weather. But before I could announce a harvest banquet like no other, once again all the plants started wilting away. I did transplant in a fully grown potato plant from a big farm in France but I'm beginning to think they've sent me a stone with a dandelion plant sellotaped to it. 

Even though the leaves on this crop are now brown and half the plants appear to have given up, some of my friends say that the fact they were growing earlier in the year is progress, even though I'm sat here with only enough for a plate of bloody chips again. Other friends say I don't actually know how to grow potatoes at all. I prefer to listen to our chief horticulturist, who always says it's about the seeds we choose. We've just agreed that we should have been growing carrots.

I reckon with another three harvests I'll have this cracked, and I'm hoping no one has noticed that I've had more trips to the garden centre and spent more money there than all the prior gardeners put together. I wouldn't mind so much but for some reason the crops that the last two gardeners had already planted before I got here are all still thriving at the centre of the vegetable patch, and I've taken to re-planting them among my crop so it looks like I know what I'm doing.

Started off with runner beans up top then chucked an artichoke on and it did regularly !!

38 minutes ago, Olé said:

Brilliant mate :-) especially the stone and dandelion :laugh:

On 23/04/2018 at 12:21, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Strikers are strikers and they either score or they don't, that is how they are generally judged. The serious lack of quality is in midfield and has been for far too long now.

Ditto your assumption that form is a triviality, form matters to keep 2Ok crowds and being less reliant on SL's money (which surely is the aim) people will not want to watch 4 months of great football followed by 4 months of abject football, as several people have said if our season had been more evenIy spread win, lose or draw wise it wouldn't have mattered so much, but I have certainly have found watching from January onwards a huge chore instead of the expectancy of earlier in the season. His record of these long streaks has to be addressed and decide whether it's a flaw that will remain with him and I for one will watch closely our summer transfer activity and early season form, because consistency is what now should be the next expected goal for our club and I for one truly believe that our form over the past 4 months does not put us in the established bracket of the championship, that will depend upon the form we carry into next season.

Of course there is undeniable credit due along the way, but the most important part of a successful club is recruitment and ours is sadly lacking, I have to question the role of Mark Ashton and ask has our recruitment improved under him? and judging by the last indicator of January and the team selection for last Saturday of only 5 LJ/MA signings making the starting line up out of 30 odd signings answers that and LJ banging on about leaders FFS is plain stupid as he and MA are the only people who affect that and they have singularly failed in that regard LJ has admitted as much.

The body language on the pitch over the past month/6 weeks is not good, it does not look like a happy camp to me at all and that needs addressing. Our strength earlier in the season was built upon our team spirit and togetherness on and off the field, that has disappeared and is a worry.

Exactly this:

The serious lack of quality is in midfield and has been for far too long now.

The midfield needs sorting. When we're up against classy teams we're left wide open at the back. And whilst we at it, the defence needs a bit of looking at too....

And this:

Our strength earlier in the season was built upon our team spirit and togetherness on and off the field, that has disappeared and is a worry.

There are many reasons for this. But we do need a team of players who work their butts off for each other.

We're five players short of being able to challenge. I wouldn't worry too much about those leaving in the summer. some of them have totally lost interest.

2 hours ago, Olé said:

Ok, but were you specifically targetting potatoes this year, Ole?

6 hours ago, Olé said:

Whilst not agreeing with the sentiments (just another dig at LJ), I can certainly appreciate the humour!

7 hours ago, Olé said:

Our chief horticulturist has been telling us since he arrived, that he knows what are the best seeds to sow and during the summer window he has to actually buy those seeds and make sure that those seed are from quality stock, with only 5 of the loads of varieties that he has bought actually poking their heads through in the AG allotment on Saturday, clearly he is far to reliant on the older variety of seed that previous chief horticulturists have left lying around in the old potting shed, it would also appear that our chief horticulturist now has realised that he needs sturdier supports for when the green shoots grow to quickly something for those green shoots to hang on to in case strong winds knock them over and can lead them to where the light/sun is and not wither, like your potatoes.

7 hours ago, Olé said:

I find that it's much easier to buy the potatoes I want rather all this faffing about and expense. 

Archived