IGNORED

Bristol Boy - a thought provoking perspective

NickJ

It would be a pity if Bristol Boy's view was restricted to the limited numbers who frequent Ziderheads. Bristol Boy used to post on here, a lot, for those that don't know, but these days puts his opinions across on Ziderheads only. But he is also Ian of Twentyman Talks Back fame.

Here goes. His reply to Robbored (who goes under "Ashton Alf" on Ziderheads):

Yes, it's a fact that City have done better this season however I would have thought that was to be expected having spent £9m on two players that you couldn't even bring to mind yesterday.Millions have been squandered on others who can't even get in the team or the squad.

28 signings & even allowing for loans that have gone back,only 5 started yesterday.One of those was here before LJ came near the place.

Up to Xmas, I thought LJ had cracked it & come up with a formula.Loads of positive comments get GT to play them back to you.

Since then, it's been all downhill in the main.The form has been dire-relegation standard & yesterday's substitutions to close the game out were nothing short of stupid.I've outlined what they should have been in the R&R & it was easy to see.

Jan was an abject failure & in terms of being "difficult", (MA Quote) that's the way it is for every club in the League particularly for those without a multi billionaire backer.

We are now "Hunted instead of Hunters" because our cup run showcased our better players! So is the answer not to do well, because if that's what he wants then he's cracked that since Xmas.So say, clubs wanted Flint.In reality one club, three bids highest. one for Flint £2.75m.

Not linked with any quality SBC players only L1/2 & players struggling at other SBC Clubs.

His job is to do the "difficult things".I liken it to a brain surgeon......fucking difficult job, that............but if you lost one of your nearest & dearest because they fucked an operation up & then they excused it because it was "difficult" I don't suppose you'd be to pleased.If it's to difficult pack the job in & fuck off so someone else can do it.You can take the scout that found Diony with you!!

Our loan signings have been wretched apart from Tammy.Now we're getting fined for Kent not playing & have fucked the relationship with Liverpool another bastard master stroke from the bloke you think is a genius.

Remember this-Twice fuck all is fuck all & we have regressed since Xmas in a way that should deeply concern you unless you want to be in League One in 2019/20.

Look at the managers/coaches of the top five clubs & you won't see anyone learning on the job who's won fuck all in the way of promotions love them or hate them.

So, my opinion is that, like many others, I would have taken a 10th place finish in August because we almost got relegated last time out-However, having been second at Xmas, I, unlike you, find it completely unacceptable that we have regressed to our current level & that the Board didn't seize the day, just like when GJ was here.

LJ told us that he has final sanction on all incoming transfers in terms of whether he wants the player or not so the ones signed are his players.

Want some leaders? Then fucking well sign some when you're checking their DNA.

MA's job is to do the deals, run the scouts etc, etc..........How's that gone? The bloke we employ in Scandanavia wants shooting.

I'll add, I'm not opinionated-I have opinions-look up the difference.

Progess v last season, yes up until Xmas agree 100% since then, regression at an alarming rate & my real fear is that LJ/MA & his army of coaches have been unable to address it over 22 games, almost half a season.We had a 100% available squad yesterday.

1 minute ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Maybe if he wants his opinions posted on here he should post them on here? Bit pointless debating someone’s opinion when they can’t even respond. 

Not really - people comment on here all the time on online articles or blogs etc - no difference debating the merits of this summation surely?

6 minutes ago, NickJ said:

It would be a pity if Bristol Boy's view was restricted to the limited numbers who frequent Ziderheads. Bristol Boy used to post on here, a lot, for those that don't know, but these days puts his opinions across on Ziderheads only. But he is also Ian of Twentyman Talks Back fame.

Here goes. His reply to Robbored (who goes under "Ashton Alf" on Ziderheads):

Yes, it's a fact that City have done better this season however I would have thought that was to be expected having spent £9m on two players that you couldn't even bring to mind yesterday.Millions have been squandered on others who can't even get in the team or the squad.

28 signings & even allowing for loans that have gone back,only 5 started yesterday.One of those was here before LJ came near the place.

Up to Xmas, I thought LJ had cracked it & come up with a formula.Loads of positive comments get GT to play them back to you.

Since then, it's been all downhill in the main.The form has been dire-relegation standard & yesterday's substitutions to close the game out were nothing short of stupid.I've outlined what they should have been in the R&R & it was easy to see.

Jan was an abject failure & in terms of being "difficult", (MA Quote) that's the way it is for every club in the League particularly for those without a multi billionaire backer.

We are now "Hunted instead of Hunters" because our cup run showcased our better players! So is the answer not to do well, because if that's what he wants then he's cracked that since Xmas.So say, clubs wanted Flint.In reality one club, three bids highest. one for Flint £2.75m.

Not linked with any quality SBC players only L1/2 & players struggling at other SBC Clubs.

His job is to do the "difficult things".I liken it to a brain surgeon......fucking difficult job, that............but if you lost one of your nearest & dearest because they fucked an operation up & then they excused it because it was "difficult" I don't suppose you'd be to pleased.If it's to difficult pack the job in & fuck off so someone else can do it.You can take the scout that found Diony with you!!

Our loan signings have been wretched apart from Tammy.Now we're getting fined for Kent not playing & have fucked the relationship with Liverpool another bastard master stroke from the bloke you think is a genius.

Remember this-Twice fuck all is fuck all & we have regressed since Xmas in a way that should deeply concern you unless you want to be in League One in 2019/20.

Look at the managers/coaches of the top five clubs & you won't see anyone learning on the job who's won fuck all in the way of promotions love them or hate them.

So, my opinion is that, like many others, I would have taken a 10th place finish in August because we almost got relegated last time out-However, having been second at Xmas, I, unlike you, find it completely unacceptable that we have regressed to our current level & that the Board didn't seize the day, just like when GJ was here.

LJ told us that he has final sanction on all incoming transfers in terms of whether he wants the player or not so the ones signed are his players.

Want some leaders? Then fucking well sign some when you're checking their DNA.

MA's job is to do the deals, run the scouts etc, etc..........How's that gone? The bloke we employ in Scandanavia wants shooting.

I'll add, I'm not opinionated-I have opinions-look up the difference.

Progess v last season, yes up until Xmas agree 100% since then, regression at an alarming rate & my real fear is that LJ/MA & his army of coaches have been unable to address it over 22 games, almost half a season.We had a 100% available squad yesterday.

Makes some really good points, and difficult to disagree with a lot of what he says.

We have a worrying problem of failing to hold onto leads, twice on Saturday we let a two goal lead slip and on numerous occasions under Johnson’s reign. Once is acceptable, twice is a worry we’re in the concern place. Yet we keep doing it, why?

Can we trust our scouting team to replace the players people are saying we will lose this summer? Put simply if we lose Flint, Pack , Reid , Baker for instance we need players to come in and make an impact , not wait six months for them to develop. 

This season has been a season of progression, however our form since January is a worry, and once again Johnson has these long periods of bad form.

On a separate note, it’s worrying the number of players who sign for only one year, and then move on because of falling out with management. Tomlin and now by all accounts there are other players this season. 

2 minutes ago, Super said:

Any real need for the endless amount of "Fucks"?

Welcome to Ziderheads. Thought there was a swear filter on OTIB though?

1 minute ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Maybe if he wants his opinions posted on here he should post them on here? Bit pointless debating someone’s opinion when they can’t even respond. 

He doesn't come on here now due to the posters that want to slag off rather than discuss, but I'm fairly sure he'd be happy to have his view expressed nevertheless. Not asking anyone to debate. You can do what you like with it, just thought that it was a very well put point of view.

9 minutes ago, Neo said:

Not really - people comment on here all the time on online articles or blogs etc - no difference debating the merits of this summation surely?

Just seems a bit pointless if the user is making a deliberate decision to not post here....

Not disagreeing with plenty of what he says mind you. 

20 minutes ago, NickJ said:

It would be a pity if Bristol Boy's view was restricted to the limited numbers who frequent Ziderheads.

Sorry, but I'm missing the point as to why his opinion is any more valid/important than anyone else that expresses a view on here?

22 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Does the same apply to articles from newspapers?

It's a good piece and I would suspect a majority of fans would agree with it, the language seems to be coming from a very angry man.

For my opinion, the overall league position is great compared to previous seasons but the form over close to half a season is highly unacceptable, people have defended the transfer policy but Saturday proved that it is at best poor and I have been saying since the turn of the year that we lack leaders, it has been glaringly obvious, well if we don't have any amongst the 30 odd signings (only 5 who started on Saturday) whose fault is that?

Our scouting/transfer policy is not working and needs sorting and I believe the reported possible summer signing of Marley Watkins is testament to that (don't get me wrong he may well end up as a great signing) but the logic behind it is 'he was a good signing for me at Barnsley ergo he will be a good signing for me now', ignoring his current form and situation, ah but maybe he is a leader?

1 minute ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Does the same apply to articles from newspapers?

It's a good piece and I would suspect a majority of fans would agree with it, the language seems to be coming from a very angry man.

For my opinion, the overall league position is great compared to previous seasons but the form over close to half a season is highly unacceptable, people have defended the transfer policy but Saturday proved that it is at best poor and I have been saying since the turn of the year that we lack leaders, it has been glaringly obvious, well if we don't have any amongst the 30 odd signings (only 5 who started on Saturday) whose fault is that?

Our scouting/transfer policy is not working and needs sorting and I believe the reported possible summer signing of Marley Watkins is testament to that (don't get me wrong he may well end up as a great signing) but the logic behind is 'he was a good signing for me at Barnsley ergo he will be a good signing for me now', ignoring his current form and situation, ah but maybe he is a leader?

Bit different. This is someone who apparently had made a conscious choice not to air his opinion on here. Just seemed odd to draw attention to it when he’s deliberately chosen to not be part of discussion on here is all :dunno:

As I say I don’t disagree with plenty of what he has to say, but it’s also very easy to overlook the positives when the mood is as low as it is now. 

3 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Bit different. This is someone who apparently had made a conscious choice not to air his opinion on here. Just seemed odd to draw attention to it when he’s deliberately chosen to not be part of discussion on here is all :dunno:

As I say I don’t disagree with plenty of what he has to say, but it’s also very easy to overlook the positives when the mood is as low as it is now. 

Fair comment B86.

While I do agree with the points raised by the OP, if the scenarios were reversed (ie crap until Xmas, awesome afterwards) we wouldn't be having this debate and LJ would be the messiah, again. Unfortunately, as mentioned, our form since Xmas has been relegation form and the powers that be have been unable to alleviate it, leaving a very flat fan base and lot's of 'what could have been' comments.

It comes down to the question, do we have faith in LJ et al to turn this around for next season? Personally, I have my doubts but we all have differing views I suppose.

6 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

He used to post on here under Bristol Boy but some years ago fell out with another poster (who no longer posts btw) and I've told BB that but he's not interested and prefers to air his views on Ziderheads. Unfortunate really as there are very few Ziderheads users compared to otib and his often well thought out views get a small audience.

Very true but BB does tend to be pessimistic about all things City.

15 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Fair comment B86.

While I do agree with the points raised by the OP, if the scenarios were reversed (ie crap until Xmas, awesome afterwards) we wouldn't be having this debate and LJ would be the messiah, again. Unfortunately, as mentioned, our form since Xmas has been relegation form and the powers that be have been unable to alleviate it, leaving a very flat fan base and lot's of 'what could have been' comments.

It comes down to the question, do we have faith in LJ et al to turn this around for next season? Personally, I have my doubts but we all have differing views I suppose.

Indeed. Had we started in awful form and climbed the table in a remarkable way (as we would have if the two halves of the season were reversed) everyone would be whistling a different tune. Yet the outcome over 46 games is exactly the same. 

It’s natural to fixate on the negatives and I won’t pretend that I’m not disappointed and angry at the wasted opportunity (despite being incorrectly labelled as a ‘happy clapper’ on here!)

But the fact remains that we are about to finish our fourth consecutive season of continual improvement in our football league standing. Things are going in the right direction.

The trouble is that these days everyone wants everything NOW NOW NOW and they don’t realise that actually 23 other teams want it too, and sometimes other teams are better than you. That’s football. 

People talk like it’s just us too, they love to think something unique goes on at BCFC. It doesn’t (we’re really not that special in the grand scheme of things you know!)

Leeds, Derby, Sheff U. All arguably bigger clubs and all have suffered as badly as us since the new year. Derby have been throwing mountains of cash at it for years and years and still can’t get over the line. It’s hard. 

6 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I only see a couple of positives and that is our league position and hopefully the progression of Vyner and Kelly to 1st consideration.

Negatives:-

1. Current relegationesque form.

2. No leaders.

3. Lack of quality.

4. A squad that is no longer a together squad.

5. Poor and unambitious transfer policy.

6. Even worse loan policy.

7. A manager whose luck has run out along with his ideas.

The upshot of all of this is the strides made to increase the average crowd size to 20k plus, maybe seriously compromised for next season because of our wholly unambitious January window, a window that for once instead of having to sign numbers in the hope of staving off relegation, we could have signed some quality to help our push to the play offs and maybe beyond.

All I can say is I believe the club need a huge summer, because the names that I have seen bandied about echo our unambitious January.

LJ has earned his place in charge next season but the first signs of another long seemingly endless relegationesque run and he has to go IMO.

12 minutes ago, Robbored said:

He used to post on here under Bristol Boy but some years ago fell out with another poster (who no longer posts btw) and I've told BB that but he's not interested and prefers to air his views on Ziderheads. Unfortunate really as there are very few Ziderheads users compared to otib and his often well thought out views get a small audience.

Well Ian's reading this right now so maybe he will.

Depends if he wants to be once again subjected to posters like some on this thread already that want to just slag off and rubbish inconsequential issues rather than have a discussion about the real issues.

Ziderheads as you know works a bit differently.......

7 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

I only see a couple of positives and that is our league position and hopefully the progression of Vyner and Kelly to 1st consideration.

Negatives:-

1. Current relegationesque form.

2. No leaders.

3. Lack of quality.

4. A squad that is no longer a together squad.

5. Poor and unambitious transfer policy.

6. Even worse loan policy.

7. A manager whose luck has run out along with his ideas.

The upshot of all of this is the strides made to increase the average crowd size to 20k plus, maybe seriously compromised for next season because of our wholly unambitious January window, a window that for once instead of having to sign numbers in the hope of staving off relegation, we could have signed some quality to help our push to the play offs and maybe beyond.

All I can say is I believe the club need a huge summer, because the names that I have seen bandied about echo our unambitious January.

LJ has earned his place in charge next season but the first signs of another long seemingly endless relegationesque run and he has to go IMO.

Can’t disagree on lack of leaders and awful January but I don’t think lack of quality is true at all. You don’t beat several premier league sides if you don’t have quality. You might fluke one game but we went toe to toe with the champions of the country over 3 hours of football. No fluke.  

We have two of the league’s best strikers, defensive players ‘allegedly’ coveted by much better sides and finally an academy that seems to be producing talent. 

Also you mention ‘league position’ as a positive as if its a triviality. It’s the ultimate end goal isn’t it? Form doesn’t matter when the season finishes. You can lose your last ten games and still win the league or you can win your last ten and get relegated. 

When you break things down to simple unarguable facts, we have made four consecutive years of improving our league placing and have gone from staring down the barrel of relegation into Division 4 to falling just short of knocking on the door of the Premier League in four seasons. 

For all the negativity there’s some serious credit due along the way. 

15 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Very true but BB does tend to be pessimistic about all things City.

With very good reason I'd suggest, have you been away since Christmas?

49 minutes ago, NickJ said:

Thought there was a swear filter on OTIB though?

It went pop !! That or they've mistaken us for fucking adults now

10 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

The trouble is that these days everyone wants everything NOW NOW NOW

Why do people keep saying this about City fans? Maybe the under 20's might, but not those of us who are of an older vintage. If I'd have wanted instant success I'd have stopped going about 30 years ago!

Just now, glynriley said:

Why do people keep saying this about City fans? Maybe the under 20's might, but not those of us who are of an older vintage. If I'd have wanted instant success I'd have stopped going about 30 years ago!

What I mean is that in the summer everyone was saying they’d be happy with few years of ‘establishing ourselves’ and firmly cementing our place as a competent championship outfit, rather than a perennial struggler. 

Now because we had a good few months everyone has almost expected us to instantly change our entire philosophy around recruitment, wages, etc because they demand instant gratification. 

All of a sudden now no one is happy for us to become an established club and lay the foundations for building up from here. People talk about failing like the only acceptable outcome of the season was top six. 

1 hour ago, NickJ said:

He doesn't come on here now due to the posters that want to slag off rather than discuss,

Like this for example:

34 minutes ago, JasonM88 said:

We’re signing Jordan Rhodes don’t you know. Bloke chats shit. Next. 

11 minutes ago, NickJ said:

I've suggest to him that he should rejoin. He'd be a useful contributor 

Depends if he wants to be once again subjected to posters like some on this thread already that want to just slag off and rubbish inconsequential issues rather than have a discussion about the real issues.

I can't see BB being oversensitive Nick. Even I get a bit of stick on here.........:whistle:

Even more angry posters on Ziderheads Nick.........but fewer in number fortunately 

11 minutes ago, NickJ said:

There's an ignore function on here (probably ZH's too) but inconsequential responders and time wasters can be quickly weeded out.

BB always had alot to say, many more people read and responded to his views on OTIB, and I'm surprised he's satisfied with the relatively very few responses his thoughts get on ZH.

15 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

What I mean is that in the summer everyone was saying they’d be happy with few years of ‘establishing ourselves’ and firmly cementing our place as a competent championship outfit, rather than a perennial struggler. 

Now because we had a good few months everyone has almost expected us to instantly change our entire philosophy around recruitment, wages, etc because they demand instant gratification. 

All of a sudden now no one is happy for us to become an established club and lay the foundations for building up from here. People talk about failing like the only acceptable outcome of the season was top six. 

We were discussing this on Saturday in the pub. Do you reckon there is a time scale on getting promotion? Or will the club just go along season after season, buying up young players and hoping that they either develop into a squad capable of promotion or they are sold on for a profit? A kind of it will happen if/when it happens scenario.

We clearly are not going to deviate from the plan, January, and particularly the signing of Walsh, showed that. LJ spoke last week about budget restrictions and not being able to compete on wages. Perhaps we may have been in a position to if we hadn't signed him??

So the it's clear the plan won't change, even when opportunity knocks. So we could be bumbling along for another 30 years waiting for the plan to work. I''l be there though (for as long as possible!)

Archived