IGNORED

Ashton Gate to be used for Rugby League World Cup !

Major Isewater

2 hours ago, bristolcitysweden said:

Any international event at AG is great business for the club. For me Rugby League is American wrestling and I'm not very often wrong. As long as the right amount of people are interested it's fine with me. The Hull game worse than American wrestling. Pathetic.      

I’ve been told that a popular game in Sweden is “bandy”. I assume that this must consist of lots of people with bent legs running around the pitch. 

2 minutes ago, RedLionLad said:

Apparently...

" The venue (Ashton Gate Stadium) is also important for British rugby – since 1920 it’s used regularly by Bristol Bears and is also the place where largest rugby crowd in Britain outside Twickenham was seen."

Fixed that for you...

2 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

All for anything that takes us back to the 1950s when we had games like this at Ashton Gate.  Nothing new under the sun.  There was life before BS

Yes we had them then and the 60's I remember the game when poor Alec Jeffery broke his leg,  been thinking,  but can't remember who it was against.  Perhaps someone will tell me!

4 hours ago, kivsy said:

if only we could get an england u21 game !  not interested in rugby 

AG has hosted quite a few U21 games in the past, but then FIFA or UEFA introduced a rule that U21 games must be played within 100km (60 miles) of where the full international team is playing. So Bristol is too far from London to get one these days.

1 hour ago, 22A said:

AG has hosted quite a few U21 games in the past, but then FIFA or UEFA introduced a rule that U21 games must be played within 100km (60 miles) of where the full international team is playing. So Bristol is too far from London to get one these days.

Where has this come from?

Recent England U21 games have been played at Middlesbrough, Sheffield United, Barnsley, Burnley and Bournemouth and none of those are remotely near 60 miles from London...

Also don't really see the reasoning. It's not like it's about logistics of the visiting nation because in most cases the opposition is different for the senior and U21 teams.

10 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

Where has this come from?

Recent England U21 games have been played at Middlesbrough, Sheffield United, Barnsley, Burnley and Bournemouth and none of those are remotely near 60 miles from London...

Also don't really see the reasoning. It's not like it's about logistics of the visiting nation because in most cases the opposition is different for the senior and U21 teams.

I think the ruling only applies when the teams involved are from the same countries.

Ie, if the full international side were playing Spain and the under 21’s were playing France, then the under 21 game could be played anywhere. 

14 hours ago, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

Yes we had them then and the 60's I remember the game when poor Alec Jeffery broke his leg,  been thinking,  but can't remember who it was against.  Perhaps someone will tell me!

I had forgotten all about that match and poor Alec Jeffery - what a player

Archived