IGNORED

Ashton Gate to be used for Rugby League World Cup !

Major Isewater

5 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Got to be, they couldn't have 3 teams playing at Ashton Gate, wouldn't work

Actually the Manager of the local team (I didn't know this existed) made the point that theirs is a summer game now. I could almost hear the Stadium company ringing him up during the interview! :)

14 minutes ago, Frenchay Red said:

I don't think any stadium rugby income would benefit the football team. Separate companies aren't they?

But anything that means the Bristol Sport enterprise as a whole makes money means less underwriting by SL, so I would think it would have a knock on effect for all parts of the business.

• Admin
1 hour ago, JBFC II said:

Got to be, they couldn't have 3 teams playing at Ashton Gate, wouldn't work

100% it would

52 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Actually the Manager of the local team (I didn't know this existed) made the point that theirs is a summer game now. I could almost hear the Stadium company ringing him up during the interview! :)

This - the season is roughly February to the end of July - so would share AG8 for 3 months and be on their own for 3 months

48 minutes ago, Frenchay Red said:

I don't think any stadium rugby income would benefit the football team. Separate companies aren't they?

Only in the way the Union side impact

Understand completely the attraction of getting a World Cup game, but in the South of England Rugby League is a minority sport at best.

I doubt the Gloucester & Oxford sides mentioned in the BBC report as potentially merging to form a Bristol one, get even 500 people watching them.

If Bristol does launch a team I could see them playing at The Mem rather than at AG.

Earlier in October 2017, there were plans for a New York rugby league team to follow Toronto Wolfpack into the English game, submitted to the RFL.

Toronto were promoted from League One to the Championship, the game's second tier, at the first attempt in 2017.

The consortium for the New York club hopes to get the go-ahead in time to enter the competition in 2019 at Championship level.

A good friend of mine from Sheffield who is involved in RL, told me it is thought the 'consortium' could be our lot.

Interestingly FGR's owner Dale Vince is interested in taking over Sheffield Eagles and doing a similar thing up there as he's done at FGR.

• Admin
9 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Understand completely the attraction of getting a World Cup game, but in the South of England Rugby League is a minority sport at best.

I doubt the Gloucester & Oxford sides mentioned in the BBC report as potentially merging to form a Bristol one, get even 500 people watching them.

If Bristol does launch a team I could see them playing at The Mem rather than at AG.

Very true, but if enough investment is put into the team it will grow

Look at Catalan and London teams - started very small but are getting there now

100% fits with the Bristol Sport model of having all the different sports under one umbrella

The RWC previously played at the Minimal and it sold out so there are 10k already about the area to be tapped into

1 hour ago, hodge said:

At £900m imagine how many Swedish players we could buy

All of 'em!!

It would be a great coup for the area if it were to happen, and of course all revenue coming from it would presumably go into Bristol Sport/the stadium , rather than us or the Rugby club. Whether both get a percentage of that in turn, I'm not sure as I don't know how that bit works.

If it happens and is a success, I would presume that it could only help our bid to become a host ground if/when England are ever awarded another national football competiton. I know Ashton Vale was talked about if we won the bid before, so I assume that that would also be the case with Ashton Gate if we were ever in that position again. Unless of course they deem the road system as inadequate......

There should be a good chance of this happening. With world cups, the organisers tend to spread the matches around the host country, not bunch them in one location. Ashton Gate is the best stadium in the south west and there are good sporting facilities nearby where teams could be based. Plus wonderful transport links with the metro bus and the new rail station at Ashton (This is just a bit of PR spin that will never happen, but it sounds good)

31 minutes ago, phantom said:

Very true, but if enough investment is put into the team it will grow

Look at Catalan and London teams - started very small but are getting there now

100% fits with the Bristol Sport model of having all the different sports under one umbrella

The RWC previously played at the Minimal and it sold out so there are 10k already about the area to be tapped into

As I understand it for the World Cup game a very high number of those tickets were given away for free to UWE students..

Personally I’m not too fussed either way because I have zero interest in rugby of either code, but the summer is the only time the hard pressed groundstaff get to work on our immaculate surface and reducing that time whilst a few hundred people rattle around in the Lansdown stand for the RL equivalent of Conference South football, just seems pretty silly to me.

2 hours ago, pongo88 said:

There should be a good chance of this happening. With world cups, the organisers tend to spread the matches around the host country, not bunch them in one location. Ashton Gate is the best stadium in the south west and there are good sporting facilities nearby where teams could be based. Plus wonderful transport links with the metro bus and the new rail station at Ashton (This is just a bit of PR spin that will never happen, but it sounds good)

This is just the sort of event that could make the rail link and station happen. Could be good news long term.

1 hour ago, kivsy said:

if only we could get an england u21 game !  not interested in rugby 

All for anything that takes us back to the 1950s when we had games like this at Ashton Gate.  Nothing new under the sun.  There was life before BS

Archived