IGNORED

Bobby Reid the 'Wind up toy' (Merged)

Roger Red Hat

32 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

"He's one of our own" .  I am pleased he is being used as an example of perseverance by our academy coaches because he could have easily been an example of how not to do it. Too many kids think that talent is all it takes, Bobby has shown that it takes a much more dedicated approach.  I wondered the other day whether one of the few good things about signing Tomlin was that Bobby saw first hand how to waste your talent and learned from that. 
There were those in the period BT (Before Tomlin) that suggested that Bobby was a bit of a "Billy Big Bollox", although I think that is sometimes an easy conclusion to make and one that is levelled at lots of local players at times, if this was true, there is certainly no sign of that now.

37 minutes ago, Super said:

I picked up on that as well.

39 minutes ago, GlastonburyRed said:

Interesting that Bobby calls his boss 'Lee'. 

8 minutes ago, Super said:

Don't see it much in football though.

I guess it must be difficult when you have grown up playing with someone and then they go into a Management role. 

48 minutes ago, Olé said:

What a brilliant article.

Absolutely.

How rare for a national paper to do proper research, get their facts right and give a non Prem player this sort of well written comprehensive coverage.

23 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

I have never had a job where I haven't called may boss by their first name. 

Neither have I but the NHS hierarchy, from wards to the very top informality was completely normal.

As for the article - good to see a City player highlighted in a national broadsheet sports section. More publicity fir the club as well.

Rayon Wilson also worked with Bolasie during his time here and has continued to ever since. He seems to be a huge influence, if only we could of had them both or get Rayon working with others. I think he may also oversee Joe if I remember rightly. Info from a relative, and I’ve met Rayon at a work event (before Bolasie).

20 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

God I love Bobby. Easton lad, honest, hard working, career riddled with setbacks, very nearly didn't make it, now reaping the rewards of the work he put in.

Lives in St George now.

That's a good article...and refreshingly honest.

I'm glad it mentions his time at Plymouth, as when down there he did come across as a billy big bollox to them. Then he realised he wasn't that good, and needed to improve.

A good learning curve and one that shows our 'comfortable' academy players when out on loan what they have to do to improve when playing men's football.

I think Tammy also had a very positive impact on Bobby, and he realised what he had to do to not waste his natural talent.

From someone with no energy and tiring after an hour, to a Duracell battery...all with a bit of hard work and realisation.

22 minutes ago, spudski said:

That's a good article...and refreshingly honest.

I'm glad it mentions his time at Plymouth, as when down there he did come across as a billy big bollox to them. Then he realised he wasn't that good, and needed to improve.

A good learning curve and one that shows our 'comfortable' academy players when out on loan what they have to do to improve when playing men's football.

I think Tammy also had a very positive impact on Bobby, and he realised what he had to do to not waste his natural talent.

From someone with no energy and tiring after an hour, to a Duracell battery...all with a bit of hard work and realisation.

It also shows that maybe the decision making at Academies is absolutely key.  The traditional 'he's too small' mentality could have been used but those who made the decision at the time could see he would develop later physically and so needed to give him more time.  

Having said that, it was only when he realised that he was short in certain areas and did something about it that he took off...  

55 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Is moving to St George from Easton when you're a local footballer similar to a millionaire racing driver from the home counties upping sticks and getting a place in Monaco?

Pretty sure moving to St.George can definitely be seen as a sign of “making it”.

The area has massively gentrified since I moved away in 1986 (hopefully these two events are unconnected)..

3 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

I am pretty sure Ben Fisher is on record as a City fan as well.

He certainly is. Has written a couple of good pieces on us this year. His Football League writing is very good - a nice article on Mo Eisa at Cheltenham last week too.

4 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Absolutely.

How rare for a national paper to do proper research, get their facts right and give a non Prem player this sort of well written comprehensive coverage.

The Guardian's football writing is consistently excellent. They've started to write more on the Football League recently, and have featured us a few times this season.

Archived