IGNORED

Phone upgrade - suggestions?

Taz

My phone is due an upgrade, and until a few weeks ago I was just going to go onto a cheaper contract as I really like my current phone and didn't, have any issues with it... Currently have a Samsung S7 Edge, but I now have a Pink line down the right hand side, which comes and goes. Google search says that it's a common problem, as the connector(s) on the screen aren't great. Some cases on the S8, and a few on the new S9...

With that in mind, the obvious choice for me was the S9, but if they are developing the same problems, then I don't want another phone which will go the same way. I was then thinking of the new Sony XZ2, but after reading a few reviews I'm not so sure now. Not sure I like the idea of the back which doesn't sit flat.

Then I thought about the new iPhone, but have never really taken to them, plus the prices are rediculous!!

So.....any recommendations? Currently paying £38 a month for 5gb data, unlimited minutes and text on EE. Ideally don't want to change network or phone number, and don't want to pay too much more,  especially as I was looking at reducing payments anyway!

The other option is I just stick it out with my current phone until I can't use it anymore, but then the downside to that is that the value of it when I get rid will reduce significantly....

33 minutes ago, kevinmabbuttshair said:

SIM only and buy the handset,

These are great and going under the radar https://www.amazon.co.uk/Honor-Camera-Charge-SIM-Free-Smartphone-Grey/dp/B075DZRD8G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1524845115&sr=8-2&keywords=huawei+honor

Also EE are a rip off, tell them you want your PUK code see what deal you can get

As said above would get rid of EE,have a look around mate I’m a iPhone fan boy after using Samsung for years but there are plenty of other top quality phones out there if you don’t want all the razzmatazz that comes with them that half you don’t really need 

20 hours ago, Taz said:

My phone is due an upgrade, and until a few weeks ago I was just going to go onto a cheaper contract as I really like my current phone and didn't, have any issues with it... Currently have a Samsung S7 Edge, but I now have a Pink line down the right hand side, which comes and goes. Google search says that it's a common problem, as the connector(s) on the screen aren't great. Some cases on the S8, and a few on the new S9...

With that in mind, the obvious choice for me was the S9, but if they are developing the same problems, then I don't want another phone which will go the same way. I was then thinking of the new Sony XZ2, but after reading a few reviews I'm not so sure now. Not sure I like the idea of the back which doesn't sit flat.

Then I thought about the new iPhone, but have never really taken to them, plus the prices are rediculous!!

So.....any recommendations? Currently paying £38 a month for 5gb data, unlimited minutes and text on EE. Ideally don't want to change network or phone number, and don't want to pay too much more,  especially as I was looking at reducing payments anyway!

The other option is I just stick it out with my current phone until I can't use it anymore, but then the downside to that is that the value of it when I get rid will reduce significantly....

Buy a very cheap phone, on a cheap tariff.

Put it in a draw, with the rest of your shit.

Forget the phone, get out into this big, wonderful world, and enjoy your life.

Speak to real people, new people. Breath the air. Swim in the sea.

Be happy.

1 hour ago, ... said:

Be happy.

But what's the point if you can't put the pictures of yourself doing all those things on Instagram?

Just now, Slacker said:

But what's the point if you can't put the pictures of yourself doing all those things on Instagram?

Happiness is not about Instagram - it is about yourself.

Only Taz can find true inner happiness. He will not find it on Instagram.

One should not waste time seeking constant approval.

Depending on what you need, I would seriously consider looking at some Chinese built handsets. You can get some decent mid-range phones at budget prices if you are unfussy about the brand. As they run Android you will not notice much of a different in user experience, so long as you have selected one with reasonable specs you could save yourself a shed load of money. 

Downside is lack of after sales support, but for me personally it is worth it. I use an Oukitel K10000 Pro which weighs a ton but has a 10,000mah battery so suits my purposes. 

1 hour ago, Chris_Brown said:

Depending on what you need, I would seriously consider looking at some Chinese built handsets. You can get some decent mid-range phones at budget prices if you are unfussy about the brand. As they run Android you will not notice much of a different in user experience, so long as you have selected one with reasonable specs you could save yourself a shed load of money. 

Downside is lack of after sales support, but for me personally it is worth it. I use an Oukitel K10000 Pro which weighs a ton but has a 10,000mah battery so suits my purposes. 

Surely they have a helpline??

On ‎27‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 14:50, Taz said:

7 hours ago, ... said:
See the source image

Be happy.

@Taz 

YOU"RE  HIS  WIFE  NOW!

I always stay a couple of versions behind on the iphone, currently have the SE, its around £24 a month for 3GB and unlimited calls/texts (or if there is a cap I haven't got near it). Point being I don't think the older versions are big steps behind and can often get them a lot cheaper if you find what you want in the contract. 

Still using an iPhone 6 here. New battery for £25 and it’s as good as day one and must be about 90% cheaper than whatever the latest model is - so unless you have to have the latest model of anything it’s a cheap route. I know it’s fashionable to bash the iPhone but I’m surprised how resilient it’s been - has been dropped on concrete about 10 times and still going strong.

Bought the handset outright about 4 years ago, and SIM only contract with unlimited everything is about £20/m or less. 

I’m still using my iPhone 7, this is the longest I’ve had a phone for as long as I can remember. Got o2 chasing me asking me when I want to upgrade, but the battery is still fab on it, and I can’t see the iPhone 8 being any kind of massive change from what I’ve got now, so not bothering to change anything at the mo. 

Archived