IGNORED

Is Lee Johnson the right man for the job?

reddogkev

I did a lot of talking and listening yesterday, the feeling I got was the big majority feel Lee has taken us as far as his abilities can. What I also heard was very much the feeling that our only hope of keeping this squad together (or the ones we need to keep) can only be done at the hands of another manager. It really is a clear choice, him or them (the players) from what was being said. 

It really was head over heart type conversations, from people who had given Lee every support throughout the season, win or lose. Certainly people who aren’t prone to knee jerk and people who are sensible and well balanced. 

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I doubt he talks to anyone else about Bristol City so his opinion is very likely to be affected by your own and be biased in that direction imo.

Thats true, but by the same margin you could say he's making an informed decision. 

Rather than some pundits who I would wager would come up with the same conclusion, on much less knowledge of the situation.

11 hours ago, Alan Dicks said:

Instant success, I've only waited 38 years for our return to the top flight.

In that time I've witnessed at least a dozen smaller clubs than us go up.

Thanks AD. 

We have money SL sees to that. So much of it wasted on poor or unready players when the walking wounded needed help. The Jan transfer window sucked and Woodrow Elliason Engval were not deemed good enough for more than unused sub. 

The season has finished with the divisions best striker playing as a winger the best player on our team at forest being subbed and Flinty being told to get up there. I could go on and on but everyone’s seen it. A few just won’t believe it or are trying to excuse the total crap of the last four months. 

Still all the players that played under SC will bring in some money right!?

10 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Not on twitter mate, care to share?

Presumably referring to these. Broadly true perhaps, but not really acknowledging the post-Christmas capitulation. In fact I found the back-slapping a bit annoying given our form - I’d have preferred to have seen a bit more recognition of how it might also be seen as a failure. Not exactly chiming with the current mood. Just felt a bit too propaganda-ish for me.

My idea of “fighting” is not going from 2nd to 10th in 4 months.

Edit - reading this back I perhaps seem harsh, I’m just not really in the mood for club employees (albeit legends) to tell us how great everything is right now.

6E1BFA6C-328E-44C0-9E7B-7DB6DD65FA83.jpeg

B090EC39-83E6-4F34-A735-273D0BF5D2E2.jpeg

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I don’t think wanting a few shots on target in every game and the odd away win is ‘expecting too much..’ - we haven’t managed either in 2018...

Yes, correct. But I was talking expectations broadly in terms of the top 6/promotion etc. Not specifics about why we're losing games/not picking up many points.

Bottom line we are we deserve to be, I'm sure and I hope the post mortem of the season will be thorough so that we're best prepared to go again.

2 hours ago, KingLear said:

Yes, correct. But I was talking expectations broadly in terms of the top 6/promotion etc. Not specifics about why we're losing games/not picking up many points.

Bottom line we are we deserve to be, I'm sure and I hope the post mortem of the season will be thorough so that we're best prepared to go again.

Sadly it seems we don't do post mortems, only happy clappy tweets, interviews etc

I have been calling for seasons for the club to undertake a full independent audit of all aspects of the club from the emasculated Board to the head coach's palpable failings via the appalling pr machine and the truly poor recruitment practices

I like Scott Murrays positivity but they do say momentum is everything; you could see how we would follow last seasons splendid finish with the good start this campaign. 

In being so positive now is it because they are being told to be so to paper the cracks? If not then their positivity tells a different story we do not yet know; clearly nobody in their right mind could be positive about more than half the season. I hope it is not blinkered positivity for the corporates but clearly the subliminal message is there; more academy players less expensive duds; LJ is having his wings clipped.

Scotty’s tweet. 

I’m not sure we’ve been ‘fighting’ for promotion at all since December. Last half of the season Johnson & the players should be embarrassed. Our performances have been pathetic. 

Next season hopefully we can ‘fight’ for more than half of it. 

I’d keep Johnson in charge personally, but if next season starts anywhere near similarly to how this one has ended I’d have him out within 10/15 games. 

50 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Scotty’s tweet. 

I’m not sure we’ve been ‘fighting’ for promotion at all since December. Last half of the season Johnson & the players should be embarrassed. Our performances have been pathetic. 

I’d keep Johnson in charge personally, but if next season starts anywhere near similarly to how this one has ended I’d have him out within 10/15 games. 

Feel the same, Scotty has actually annoyed me with that tweet!  We were fighting for promotion until we gave up against Villa, held our hands up and said we are just too tired.

Ever since then there's not been an ounce of fight in the league.  Cardiff away for example was the worst performance I've ever seen from City.

Just now, reddogkev said:

Feel the same, Scotty has actually annoyed me with that tweet!  We were fighting for promotion until we gave up against Villa, held our hands up and said we are just too tired.

Ever since then there's not been an ounce of fight in the league.  Cardiff away for example was the worst performance I've ever seen from City.

Thought we topped that at Burton!

On 29/04/2018 at 08:20, Alan Dicks said:

What happened to the other half?

Had we started poorly and ended on a great run i would have hope and optimism for next season, as it stands now we are probably going to be weaker next season without several of our better players.

It's going to be Johnsons job to replace those players, now based on some of his previous signings it doesnt fill me with much joy

Exactly. Some seem to argue it doesn't matter which half of a season was poor when considering the next. 

1 hour ago, Carey 6 said:

Scotty’s tweet. 

we cant afford to be in a relegation positiin come xmas because if your down there its hard to get out of i dont think il see prem football in my lifetime been watching fifty seven years but i sure dont want to watch league one again and under this clueless goon thats where we are heading

I understand peoples frustrations...but it's always the managers that get the backlash of that frustration.

Look at our recent history...as a Bristol City fan, have you been taken in by the big stadium, rich owner, the money he's paid out short term in the past, the fact we are the 'biggest' club in a large City, attract large numbers on occasion, the local press that hypes us up, the big catchment area?

Or... do you look at history of where we have finished in leagues, what leagues we've been in, what we have or haven't won, and if so what level was that at. Who we've attracted as players or managers etc?

Look at the list of managers we've had since Alan Dicks...how long each manager has been here, what they actually achieved long term, what have they done since, who appointed them, why we haven't brought in managers with higher credentials, could or couldn't we attract them, why did we change our strategy nearly every season?

Then you look at what we are trying to do now...

Imo...you can ask for the manager to be changed, and then two years down the line want the same again....which has been our continual history more or less.

For all those who have been watching since the 50's, 60's, 70's...I get their frustration...but look at our history...it's been like groundhog day throughout...yet some want to go back to that way of running the club. It didn't work before, so why do you expect it to work now?

Surely a change of tact would make sense...and some stability and a chance to build, even if it means two steps forward, one step back on the way?

I don’t think there would be a single moan if we had just been stready and consistent all season and finished 10th or there about. Yes THAT would have been seen as progress and a good start for next year. Instead we have had the highs (excluding the cup) and the lows where we can’t get a single shot on target home or away and throw two or three goal leads away more than once. We don’t know how we will start or end next year but we seem to function with ‘lurches’ and just as worrying I’m still convinced we don’t know what our best team is or formation. This has got to be pretty unsettling for a player.

The players who might have stayed if we had been steady now have probably instructed their Agents to find a move. As fans we have loyalty, but if the player can see an easier, more reliable way to make progress then why wouldn’t they try? 

17 minutes ago, RedM said:

I don’t think there would be a single moan if we had just been stready and consistent all season and finished 10th or there about. Yes THAT would have been seen as progress and a good start for next year. Instead we have had the highs (excluding the cup) and the lows where we can’t get a single shot on target home or away and throw two or three goal leads away more than once. We don’t know how we will start or end next year but we seem to function with ‘lurches’ and just as worrying I’m still convinced we don’t know what our best team is or formation. This has got to be pretty unsettling for a player.

The players who might have stayed if we had been steady now have probably instructed their Agents to find a move. As fans we have loyalty, but if the player can see an easier, more reliable way to make progress then why wouldn’t they try? 

Even if we had finished 10th with a 'consistency' like you ask RedM, our best players would still have attracted other Clubs...some will still go regardless. We put ourselves in the bigger window the the cup performances. We beat a lot of Prem sides...perhaps some of our players are better suited to Prem type play? Who knows...

As for our best team or formation....that will always change with larger squads and the amount of games. It's the modern way.

Agents won't be 'instructed' to find moves...it's what they are doing constantly, trying to find the best contract for their client, regardless of whether they are happy at a club or not.

The majority want to make as much money as possible before their mid 30's...then lead a more settled life. It's only a few that get really tied up with clubs and geography.

15 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I don’t think wanting a few shots on target in every game and the odd away win is ‘expecting too much..’ - we haven’t managed either in 2018...

We are being a bit greedy aren't we ? 

We will surely have a shot or two in the future , we mustn't get ahead of ourselves. 

We are learning as a group .

Tinnion and Murray- legends though they are, work for the club so it's a no brainer that they will put a positive spin- you may as well discount it tbh.

Yet, the base facts of improvement in results on a season to season basis and the youth coming through positives too.

Last four months have been far from great- I believed top 2 beyond us deep down, Fulham's form has been insane and yet they will probably have to settle for playoffs for a start. 

Millwall have basically put in promotion form for months, yet 'only' have the 5th  best form this year.

However, undoubtedly we should have been safely in the playoffs. The gaps over challengers, the form, the confidence- 5th or 6th should have been IMO well within range.

The form of last 23 games- which shows why automatic was unlikely IMO:

• Wolves- 48 points
  • Aston Villa- 46 points
  • Cardiff- 45 points
  • Millwall- 43 points
  • Middlesbrough- 43 points

Then- a quite incredible- Fulham with 59 points and 23 unbeaten.

It's likely that 3 and maybe four of those sides will finish with at least 2 points a game over half a season- extrapolated that's the apparent magic formula for promotion. 4 into 2 doesn't go.

Hell, even Brentford have 40 from 23- usually good enough for 4th or 5th, yet extrapolated only the final playoff place- and in reality, no playoffs this time.

The bar has been raised, I said it in December when both Wolves and Cardiff were averaging over 2 points a game at that stage- will be interesting to see if it's a blip or a sign of things to come.

Archived