IGNORED

Sheff Utd is must win

Olé

I've always wanted to start one of these threads. They've been so successful the previous ten times we had one, I think we have a 0% record in OTIB-appointed Must Win Games™. So let's have one last one for old times sake.

If we've learnt anything this season it is to have as few must win games as possible. I suggest that next season we either sign a few more players like Diony or play a few of our Under-12s so that we go into games as massive underdogs and City are spared the overbearing pressure of minor expectation.

For added effect let's have the players run out at Ashton Gate to the theme tune of the magic roundabout and have home fans all dressed as sunflowers throwing small balls of cotton wool onto the pitch. Anything to create a happy marshmallowy sort of environment free of the dreaded must-win. 

P.S. #1 On recent respective league form our point at Burton is looking more and more impressive.

P.S. #2 For the sake of Niclas Eliasson's poor family at least tell them where you have buried the body.

7 minutes ago, Olé said:

I've always wanted to start one of these threads. They've been so successful the previous ten times we had one, I think we have a 0% record in OTIB-appointed Must Win Games™. So let's have one last one for old times sake.

If we've learnt anything this season it is to have as few must win games as possible. I suggest that next season we either sign a few more players like Diony or play a few of our Under-12s so that we go into games as massive underdogs and City are spared the overbearing pressure of minor expectation.

For added effect let's have the players run out at Ashton Gate to the theme tune of the magic roundabout and have home fans all dressed as sunflowers throwing small balls of cotton wool onto the pitch. Anything to create a happy marshmallowy sort of environment free of the dreaded must-win. 

P.S. #1 On recent respective league form our point at Burton is looking more and more impressive.

P.S. #2 For the sake of Niclas Eliasson's poor family at least tell them where you have buried the body.

Your 2nd P.S is the funniest thing I've ever read on here.

16 minutes ago, Olé said:

For Christ's sake Rob, we're all thinking the same thing and you have to bloody well say it. 

1 hour ago, Olé said:

Hegeler abducted him mate and we won’t pay the ransom...

I have a season ticket and haven't seen a home win in the league since Cardiff in November. Literally the only home games I have missed since then have been the wins. I even went to Sunderland and Hull games haha!

Sorry to say I am going to this one.

Feels like we should be 24th from what I have seen!!!

2 minutes ago, Cider-Head23 said:

Hinds won’t play there’s no reason why Diedhiou & Reid won’t be the front 2 pairing. 

Do you know what? With Reid in the running for golden boot, I really wouldn’t be surprised if he were benched such is the bizarre nature of LJ’s thinking recently. 

1 hour ago, Wanderingred said:

Didn't you hear? Johnson said that he wants us to go out with a bang and the players will be really up for it. I can't remember him ever saying this before so we must mean business.

Think that speaks volumes as to how desperate he must be then.

The one time I wouldnt care and would rather see a few younger players. E.g. Kelly and O'Dowda on the left together.

I mean for god sake - I just wouldnt mind seeing O'Dowda, Eliasson, Reid, and Fammy - for once - in the same starting 11.

I have a horrible feeling that LJ is incapable of dropping Pato.

18 minutes ago, Cider-Head23 said:

Fair point but think the team will be full strength to try and end on a high. There all gunna wanna play there last competitive game for 3 months. 

Some are gonna want to play their last game for the club

On a serious note, I just listened to the Radio Bristol post match coverage (NTTDS & Geoff Twentyman are a great catalyst for a mid afternoon nap) and when it came to Lee Johnson's interview, he said something that even by his standards has me absolutely baffled.

Honest to god, he says something along the lines of "when we got word that Derby had been pulled back to 1-1, we really wanted to go for it but I'd made all my subs". I assume this is a reference to the sight of Flint suddenly going up front for the last five minutes.

You may be several steps ahead of me here, but where do you even start on this sort of logic!? Why is he only suddenly turning the match into a must-win scenario when Derby are being held to a point? What the hell was our objective for the afternoon prior to that? 

As it happens, like most of us, I'd long since written off the playoffs and was more disappointed we didn't see some experimentation yesterday, but what totally baffles me now is that he did pick his strongest side, but per his remark, clearly wasn't really going for it.

To that end he took off a striker having a good game and only upon Villa's equaliser (the idea we were monitoring Derby's score I find bizarre anyway) he suddenly in his own words had conviction to get a result, but no longer had the attacking options (again, his words). 

Can anyone clarify whether we were supposed to be taking yesterday seriously or not, because I'm totally lost here. :noexp:

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

Do you know what? With Reid in the running for golden boot, I really wouldn’t be surprised if he were benched such is the bizarre nature of LJ’s thinking recently. 

Nah Center Back with Flinty playing on the wing supporting Woodrow

I want to win next week to record yet another 'double'. We've had quite a few in a really good season and one tends to like more of a good thing. Just hoping the woodwork is as kind to us as it was at Bramall Lane (was it 5 times they couldnt find the net but hit the white stuff??)

Lets hope to see an attacking display to end the season somewhere near one of the many 'high's this season.

5 hours ago, reddogkev said:

Your 2nd P.S is the funniest thing I've ever read on here.

I bet you are the only person laughing your rocks off while everyone else is covering their faces with cushions when a truly scary horror movie comes on.

11 minutes ago, Olé said:

On a serious note, I just listened to the Radio Bristol post match coverage (NTTDS & Geoff Twentyman are a great catalyst for a mid afternoon nap) and when it came to Lee Johnson's interview, he said something that even by his standards has me absolutely baffled.

Honest to god, he says something along the lines of "when we got word that Derby had been pulled back to 1-1, we really wanted to go for it but I'd made all my subs". I assume this is a reference to the sight of Flint suddenly going up front for the last five minutes.

To that end he took off a striker having a good game and only upon Villa's equaliser (the idea we were monitoring Derby's score I find bizarre anyway) he suddenly in his own words had conviction to get a result, but no longer had the attacking options (again, his words). 

Can anyone clarify whether we were supposed to be taking yesterday seriously or not, because I'm totally lost here. :noexp:

To put your mind at rest Olé , Lee Johnson does have significant form for saying one thing and doing another; I have always thought from the early days that he rather makes it up as he goes along, he ad libs with hilarious regularity and no more so than his early remarks in the interview link below about his views on John Pemberton. Did not take long for that to change. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03jnzpl

Your highlighted remarks above though could very well go down in infamy as when a significant proportion of City fans finally lost trust in Johnson. Frankly, that remark does beggar belief on so many levels. Integrity, honesty, intelligence, disingenuity. It is bound to anger a lot of people. The man is nothing if not a genius of putting his foot in it time and again. 

44 minutes ago, Olé said:

You may be several steps ahead of me here, but where do you even start on this sort of logic!? Why is he only suddenly turning the match into a must-win scenario when Derby are being held to a point? What the hell was our objective for the afternoon prior to that? 

As it happens, like most of us, I'd long since written off the playoffs and was more disappointed we didn't see some experimentation yesterday, but what totally baffles me now is that he did pick his strongest side, but per his remark, clearly wasn't really going for it.

I made reference to this on another thread yesterday and some buffoon gave me one of those little garbage thingies....:laugh:!

2 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

As it is pretty much an open secret he is off this summer I wouldn’t be all that bothered if he doesn’t start.

Not a chance in a million that Hinds will feature, but would not be too shocked if Max O’Leary did.

@Olé Along with your must win, why don’t we go the whole hog and have a beam back to the sports bar too ( yes before someone says I do realise we are at home)

I thought I saw Elliasson yesterday, if that’s any help. As for Diony, well whilst we were ‘battling’ with Forest yesterday his social media had him uploading piles of Selvridges shopping bags from his London hotel. #NiceWorkIfYouCanGetIt

If nothing else, the desire for a win but more importantly a performance, with desire, pace, passing, press etc, would be most welcome, along with some tacit acknowledgment that, quite frankly, we've been dreadful for months and so off the pace considering our early season form and the plaudits gained through the Cup run. The 2nd half of the season has been nothing of a nightmare and diabolical.

Fielding (or Steele)

Back 3 of Wright, Flint, Baker (or if one of Wright & Baker unfit, Pisano)

Midfield of Eliasson & O'Dowda wide, Pack, Smith & Brownhill (would ideally like Hegeler in there in front of back 3 to protect and bring the ball out....)

Front two of Reid & Diedhiou, or Bobby lone to accomodate Hegeler

Subs: Matty, Pato, Bryan, GK, Djuric, Fammy

Or,

Fielding (or Steele)

Pisano, Baker, Flint, Kelly

Smith, Pack, Brownhill

Eliasson, Reid, O'Dowda

Essentially a team to win and get 3pts to reach 70 please, LJ. Some confidence to end the season prior to the fun n games of the close season and much transfer activity.

7 hours ago, Olé said:

It's the families of poor old Diony, Woodrow as well. It must be tough seeing those life size dummies impersonating them on match days!

Archived