Top team goes up automatically, leaving the play offs to be:

Qualifying

4th v 7th one off game with 4th at home

5th v 6th one off game with 5th at home

Semi Finals

2nd v winner of 5th/6th one off game with 2nd at home

3rd v winner of 4th/7th one off game with 3rd at home

Final

A much better way to do it in my opinion and gives a real advantage to the team finishing 2nd to have a one off home game before the final. If this is an experiment I'll be interested to see if they repeat it or if the Football League want to take on the format.

Only 3 days between Qualifying and the Semi Final, so the old argument that it leaves the higher placed teams stale and undercooked isn't particularly important. The only negative being that if 7th beat 4th, 2nd plays 5th/6th and 3rd plays 7th, which perhaps is a little unfair.

I know this comes up every year, but thoughts? We might have had a chance of at least reaching the qualifying round this season!

It's an interesting variation on the play-off format and strikes me as being similar to the NFL play-offs, in that the Wildcard teams and the lesser Divisional winners are pitted against each other while the two best Divisionals have a week of extra preparation.

Our end of season mayhem started during the time when the League restructured the divisions and hence the Play-offs were necessary for that. I imagine the extra excitement (and lucre, naturally!) that came with them were too much of a temptation for the suits. Now they are a part of almost every division, all over the country.

But the system still allows the same counter-intuitive flaw. The league format gives us the final table of a long, hard season and that should (in my opinion) be that, just as it was. We now are used to the idea of a team finishing in sixth place going up over those who actually finished in third, fourth or fifth.   :blink::disapointed2se:

I know ,it's been suggested before, but in the EFL divisions;

5th are home to 6th. Winner of that game is away to 4th and thew winner of that game is away to the team that finished 3rd. That rewards where you ended in the league season as 6th placed need to win three away games whilst the team finishing 3rd only need win one home game to go up.

Ebbsfleet have a promising young manager of their own; a lot of lower league clubs could do worse than looking at Daryl McMahon. The football this year isn't as pretty as the season before but the side are a really efficient unit, in with a chance of back to back promotions after the clubs highest every finish (thanks to the new play off system).

20 minutes ago, Juan Kerr said:

I`ve a mate who is a Tranmere fan, so would like them to do it.

but from what I've heard and the little bits I've seen I think Tranmere will do it

2 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

Surely their advantage is lost by the other team being match sharp while the 2nd and 3rd place teams don't play or is it done over a short period of time?

4th v 7th and 5th v 6th are tonight and tomorrow, then winners v 2nd and 3rd this weekend, then the final is a week on Saturday at Wembley. 

16 minutes ago, The turtle said:

I'd always thought you could do....

3 v 4 winners  go to Wembley 

5 v 6 winners loser eliminated.

Loser of 3v4 plays winner of 5v6 to go to Wembley 

All matches 1 off at home of highest seed.

Then final.

That's how they do it (or used to at least) in rugby league. 

In Speedway the the top four at the end of the season go into H&A play offs, just like rugby does. In Speedway however, the team finishing top picks which of the other three they play and whether to have the home leg first or not.

3 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Ebbsfleet United win 0-0 on penalties        

Sky sports app taking confusing to another level:

9A897C6A-3170-42EA-888A-2D9129CA9293.jpeg

Given that I think the current play-off systems are anachronistic, I would propose a new method: Bottom two of Div 1 go down and top two of Div 2 go up, simple. Then the real play-off is between the third bottom of Div 1 against the third top of Div 2, over one or two legs. Winner plays in Div 1, loser in Div 2. :yes:

4 hours ago, CheddarReds said:

Ebbsfleet have a promising young manager of their own; a lot of lower league clubs could do worse than looking at Daryl McMahon. The football this year isn't as pretty as the season before but the side are a really efficient unit, in with a chance of back to back promotions after the clubs highest every finish (thanks to the new play off system).

but from what I've heard and the little bits I've seen I think Tranmere will do it

same here met him in prenton srms last time we played them s few years ago now

7 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Ebbsfleet United win 0-0 on penalties        

7 hours ago, Tomarse said:

Sky sports app taking confusing to another level:

9A897C6A-3170-42EA-888A-2D9129CA9293.jpeg

BBC site just as good, we’ll done Braintree on a 0-0 shoot out win.

39F3A379-DE39-44B8-9C35-93ADF903464C.png

13 hours ago, The Gambler said:

I love the play offs the way they are. They are some of the most exciting games you will see.

aint broke so don’t fix it.

Thé play offs should start at the beginning of the season .

Each team plays each other home and away and , here's  the thing , the three best teams then get promoted.

Not some chancer that suddenly finds a bit of form at the end of the season playing without the pressure that the front runners have endured for the biggest part of it .

Archived