IGNORED

Mark Lawrensons opinion of the Championship

Taz

Championship not a good fit for Gerrard

Now I can't make my mind up (bearing in mind I'm shattered), whether Mr Know-It-All is saying Gerrard shouldn't lower himself to manage in the Championship, and that Rangers would be a better move, or whether he's saying it's such a tough league he'd get found out too quickly?

Could just be that he's talking out of his ass again and doesn't know what he means......

1 minute ago, Taz said:

Now I can't make my mind up (bearing in mind I'm shattered), whether Mr Know-It-All is saying Gerrard shouldn't lower himself to manage in the Championship, and that Rangers would be a better move, or whether he's saying it's such a tough league he'd get found out too quickly?

Could just be that he's talking out of his ass again and doesn't know what he means......

Lawrenson has zero  knowledge of the Championship if he considers it lower in standard to the SPL...........:rofl2br:

I kind of see where he's coming from, with Rangers he'll have a side who aren't relegation threatened (unless financial catastrophe strikes again...) and will be able to lay out the way he wants to play and have time. If he goes to a championship club there is immediately a higher level of pressure, a bad run and he's facing the chopping block and won't necessarily get the time to get the team playing the way he wants (something he gets as an U18's coach) the championship is a dangerous division to go to for a first time manager.  

Gerrard hasn't done enough to warrant managing Rangers let alone any team in the Championship.  Coaching a U18 Liverpool team is not sufficient experience.

And Lawrenson is a n*b whatever he meant.

4 minutes ago, BCFC11 said:

Mark Lawrenson knows **** all about anything these days how he’s still employed by the BBC god only knows, blokes a dinosaur.

"Liverpool score for fun, although it was 0-0 against Stoke at the weekend". 

Although I have a soft spot for Rangers they despite a good season by their standards are a basket case club, be a bad move for Gerrard imo, they need a complete overhaul and some serious investment which I don’t think will ever happen unfortunately.

11 minutes ago, Xiled said:

Gerrard hasn't done enough to warrant managing Rangers let alone any team in the Championship.  Coaching a U18 Liverpool team is not sufficient experience.

And Lawrenson is a n*b whatever he meant.

Bellamy (who is a ******* on the touchline unsurprisingly) doing enough at Cardiff to get L1 interest, however I gather the impression Gerrard is definitely going about things the right way with Liverpool's 18's.

4 minutes ago, hodge said:

Bellamy (who is a ******* on the touchline unsurprisingly) doing enough at Cardiff to get L1 interest, however I gather the impression Gerrard is definitely going about things the right way with Liverpool's 18's.

If it was some average unheard of bloke coaching Liverpool's U18s, would that person get a sniff at Rangers or a Championship team?  I get that Gerrard will have contacts and probably be able to bring players to a club but I would rather see him get a L1 or L2 English team promoted to earn his stripes.

1 minute ago, Xiled said:

If it was some average unheard of bloke coaching Liverpool's U18s, would that person get a sniff at Rangers or a Championship team?  I get that Gerrard will have contacts and probably be able to bring players to a club but I would rather see him get a L1 or L2 English team promoted to earn his stripes.

Agree with this 100%, it’s the way all managers should go, but it’s Rangers who’ve approached him and he’d be stupid not to think about it, whether they know his qualities as a manager that we don’t or they (which I think) are taking a massive gamble with SG who is a big name and hoping his contacts within the game can help attract better players to Ibrox, but the financial situation will hinder it, still think he may turn it down due to it.

2 hours ago, BCFC11 said:

Mark Lawrenson knows **** all about anything these days how he’s still employed by the BBC god only knows, blokes a dinosaur.

He finds everything he says hilarious, non-stop irritation with a grin on his face like it's the smartest thing anyones ever heard.

Mark Lawrenson was probably the most uninterested and borish pundit to appear on ITVs' West Match, the guy just ain't interested unless it's Premier league or above.

IMO his input on anything championship and below is about as valid as a skydivers opinion on the mating intricacies of a sea squirt.  

13 minutes ago, redcityman said:

the guy just ain't interested unless it's Premier league or above.

IMO his input on anything championship and below is about as valid as a skydivers opinion on the mating intricacies of a sea squirt.  

Not saying he's a great pundit, but he attends a fair few PNE games, so probably knows more about the Championship than many of his fellow 'experts'.

13 hours ago, Taz said:

Why would anyone take any notice of anything Lawrenson says. One of the stable of arseholes who are paid large salaries by the BBC for talking rubbish.

Mark Lawrenson's whole act as a "football analyst" was established on HTV when in a typical moment of daydreaming he turned to Roger Malone at Ashton Gate (during a Bristol derby) and remarked of a in-swinging, curling, but ultimately overhit cross "He wants some of them Moroccan shoes Rog".

For 25 years since we've had to put up with his same lame attempts at observational comedy, mixed occasionally with sporadic deviations into actual analysis. The bloke is in his own little world where he is king of the one-liners, no idea why he's still indulged time to do it. So many better analysts now.

17 hours ago, hodge said:

Good lad is Bellamy....

22 hours ago, hodge said:

I kind of see where he's coming from, with Rangers he'll have a side who aren't relegation threatened (unless financial catastrophe strikes again...) and will be able to lay out the way he wants to play and have time. If he goes to a championship club there is immediately a higher level of pressure, a bad run and he's facing the chopping block and won't necessarily get the time to get the team playing the way he wants (something he gets as an U18's coach) the championship is a dangerous division to go to for a first time manager.  

That is an incredible naive comment. Trust me nobody managing Celtic or Rangers gets time. Second place is relegation for Rangers. If Stevie G takes over he will quickly realise he has simple objectives for the season - win the League Cup, then the League, then the Scottish Cup. Oh, do it without losing a game along the way or you will get pelters. To be fair the Old Firm do have budgets at least three times that of their nearest rivals Aberdeen, Hibs and Hearts so you can partly understand the expectation that they will be easily dispatched.

29 minutes ago, sglosbcfc said:

That is an incredible naive comment. Trust me nobody managing Celtic or Rangers gets time. Second place is relegation for Rangers. If Stevie G takes over he will quickly realise he has simple objectives for the season - win the League Cup, then the League, then the Scottish Cup. Oh, do it without losing a game along the way or you will get pelters. To be fair the Old Firm do have budgets at least three times that of their nearest rivals Aberdeen, Hibs and Hearts so you can partly understand the expectation that they will be easily dispatched.

Pat Nevin was making exactly this point on 5live the other day. If you finish behind Celtic up there in anything you have failed - it`s exactly the same the other way round.

If you took Lawro's Prem score predictions as gospel, Liverpool would be on a 70-game unbeaten run spanning two seasons. The guy seemed to be going all doo-lally five years ago yet he's still employed? His random bursts of dry cynicism aren't even funny; they remind me of a tetchy uncle at Christmas getting angry because the children won't stop playing with their new toys and interrupting his lonely sherry-drinking times. It's time for the dinosaur to go extinct. Or at least get shuttled off to TalkSport where he can only talk to idiots and lonely reps in hotel rooms.

20 hours ago, Robert the bruce said:

Good lad is Bellamy....

Hated the guy during his playing career but been impressed with his analysis and punditry. You would think from looking at him he only knew eight words! He also has a charity foundation in Sierra Leone which discovers promising young footballers

On 03/05/2018 at 05:43, Robbored said:

Lawrenson has zero  knowledge of the Championship if he considers it lower in standard to the SPL...........:rofl2br:

Firstly I am not sure how you seem adamant he has zero knowledge unless you are his pair of slippers, his brother or his morning cuppa tea that listens and understands everything going on in his brain.

Secondly, the way i see it, he likely thinks the Championship is not a good fit for Gerrard because it is too hard for a first stint at managing and, in taking a job at Rangers, he should at least do reasonably well in a league with not a lot of quality. I tend to agree with him and I think you have misread him.

18 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

Pat Nevin was making exactly this point on 5live the other day. If you finish behind Celtic up there in anything you have failed - it`s exactly the same the other way round.

Souness saying exactly the same on Sky Sports now. Second place to Celtic is failure full stop. No pressure then Stevie!

Archived