IGNORED

Lois Diony - The Statistical Freak

Olé

6 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Incredible

I’ve said Ole - I cannot see how we can possibly have actually watched Diony in the months preceding our January swoop on him - A player doesn’t turn that bad / fall that far from any hint of professional form or ability overnight

Would love to hear their ‘explanation’

Some more for for your statistics 

He has posted 43 videos of himself driving through the city centre

Spent 23 nights in London Shopping

£3731 on train fares

£687 on black cabs

£37,013  in Selfridges 

Hasn't scored ONE SINGLE first team goal ALL SEASON ! 

How unlucky is that ? 

1 hour ago, ashton_fan said:

Diony had two good seasons for Dijon, helping them to get promoted and then playing in the top division, scoring 11 in both seasons. Both Kodjia and Diedhiou struggled to make an impact in their first few games, the Championship is completely different from the French Leagues so it's not that surprising that Diony has struggled given he was under pressure to make an immediate impact. It was a gamble that didn't pay off, he'd have had a better chance if he'd joined us at the start of a season so he had time to play himself in, he's obviously got something from his record in previous seasons. Maybe the lesson is to get players with Championship (or at least English football) experience if they're being recruited in January on a loan deal.

I can understand why the club did the deal but really the timing was all wrong. 

We needed someone to hit the ground running but bought in a lad who hasn't scored all season and add to that the fact that LJ , I think , said that our French imports need time to adapt to the ' physicality of the Championship it was unlikely to be a marriage made in heaven.

It could just be a cunning plan devised by the very cunning Mark Ashton to get Diony on the cheap .

Listen St Etienne, your boy Diony is really awful but we'll take him off your hands on a free transfer .

Bish , bash , bosh Diony starts the season like a train now he's out of his old club. 

That's how I see it .

:yes:

1 hour ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

We got ourselves a dud. It happens. I’m disappointed but hey ho he goes back to France and we all move on. 

Unfortunately it's cost the club a fortune. 

I estimate £100 for every single season ticket. 

Disaster. 

3 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Unfortunately it's cost the club a fortune. 

I estimate £100 for every single season ticket. 

Disaster. 

Maybe (I really don’t know how much he cost/is costing) 

It cant be anywhere near as much as we lost the last time we got rid of a mid-table Championship manager and spent a few years languishing in the league 1 backwater, surely?

i expect the Sky money alone would cover his costs !!!!!

4 hours ago, Swede said:

I try very hard not to criticise individuals but what baffles me is that the coaching staff gave him a lot of game time at the expence of others when it was plain to see from a very early stage that he couldn't trap a bag of cement. 

That's a bit hard, but there's plenty of concrete evidence to support this.

6 hours ago, Olé said:

It's a fair point and I did a double take and cross-checked to see how much his data was skewed by playing so little. It isn't.

Hegeler, Eliasson and Woodrow have each played not much more time than Diony, and have 5, 3 and 10 shots versus his 1.

Engvall has played a grand total of 13 minutes in 2 league sub appearances with 75% pass completion and no mis-control.

Over 3 hours is enough to see that he doesn't shoot, he doesn't setup teammates, he can't pass, and mis-controls the ball.

Add in that he's offside or fouls more frequently than more or less everyone else, and I'm not sure we want a larger sample! 

200 min and at least 40 have been when we have been down to 10 men. 30+ against QPR and another 10-15 where someone went off injured and we had used all our subs. So 20% of his time the other side had an advantage and he didn’t play with a striker partner which we all knew he was used to. Then take into account another 60 odd minutes in a strange start against Cardiff where no one could do much right. He wasn’t exactly set up to succeed here. 

Fair enough he has been poor but no need to throw salt in the wounds. Just didn’t work out here. I mean you could almost say he contributed the least to our poor form as he played so little. He was poor and so were those around him for the most part. It is like there needs to be a scapegoat for why we didn’t reach the playoffs. Hell even Afobe in that team at Wolves didn’t do much just not noticeable when the team is winning

6 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

How do we explain 11 goals and 8 assists for Dijon the year before?

It attracted interest from clubs in England and big clubs in France- there's got to be some sort of talent in there somewhere. Not defending the signing but he clearly did well last season.

Birmingham, Bournemouth and Brighton all interested last summer. For a bit of balance, some sort of graph from his season at Dijon.

C7YTioZXwAMiPN1.jpg

I did have a look at his stats(goals and assists) from that season and he generally performed against the weaker teams in France. Part of me feels like maybe he wasn’t as good as it looked. Idk, you can breal stats down to tell any story. Probably just doesn’t suit English football. Could go to Spain this summer and score 10 in LaLiga. Just one of those things. 

5 hours ago, Robin Ashton said:

Might as well sign Usain Bolt then.

Can't remember Usain Bolt ever scoring 11 goals in Ligue 1 for an underperforming team.

People can laugh as much as they like but Diony will come good somewhere after us. I'm not disputing the fact he's been terrible here. I'm just saying there must be a good player there somewhere, you don't do what he's done by accident.

4 hours ago, ashton_fan said:

Diony had two good seasons for Dijon, helping them to get promoted and then playing in the top division, scoring 11 in both seasons. Both Kodjia and Diedhiou struggled to make an impact in their first few games, the Championship is completely different from the French Leagues so it's not that surprising that Diony has struggled given he was under pressure to make an immediate impact. It was a gamble that didn't pay off, he'd have had a better chance if he'd joined us at the start of a season so he had time to play himself in, he's obviously got something from his record in previous seasons. Maybe the lesson is to get players with Championship (or at least English football) experience if they're being recruited in January on a loan deal.

I'm sorry but if the people recruiting didn't realise that you needed players of Championship experience on loan in January then they should be sacked. We got the likes of Tomlin, Matthew and Odemwingie 2 years ago.  Something similar this year was what was needed.

6 hours ago, Juan Kerr said:

Even Steve Jones had a purple (or was that Orange?) patch.

Maybe it was that. Maybe the team was built around him at Dijon, I've really no idea.

His fall is astonishing though... unless he was vastly overperforming at Dijon.

One piece last summer suggested maybe he was St Etienne's heir, finally, to Aubameyang...laugh away, it seems it now but a year ago he was quite highly rated, pre St Etienne.

Archived