IGNORED

Lois Diony - The Statistical Freak

Olé

7 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

His 11 and 8 season for Dijon was last season- in Ligue 1.

My mistake - although the breakdown of stats I shared for him were for his 11 goals / 8 assist season in Ligue 1 (he got 11 goals / 4 assists in 15/16 in Ligue 2). 

WhoScored does have the detailed metrics for some prior seasons, but not easy to find by club or league, but you can by player. As mentioned, if you go to this:

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/232587/History/Lois-Diony

You can select all the same data views (tabs/options) and it will update each row of his prior seasons, so you can see splits for the 16/17 season while at Dijon... 

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

His work at Dijon is disregarded is it? 11 goals, 8 assists in a struggling side in 31 starts and 4 sub appearances is rather good. Seeing that data though (before we even get onto his 'performances' for us)- genuinely like 2 different players!

If we are going to give people a chance based on previous stats, I’d genuinely prefer that we invited Micheal Owen out of retirement. Ask Kevin Keegan if he fancies a game, or even give another contract to the relatively prolific Liam Robinson..! Not Iain Baird though. He was just a ***! 

4 minutes ago, pnefcok said:

Wouldn't shock me if you went for Hugill on loan next season, he's hardly getting off the bench at West Ham.

Why on earth did West Ham buy him?

1 hour ago, phantom said:

Surely this is a criminal offence?

A bit like the Tammy incident, it only seemed to come public after word got out on here - but this time around it's stayed real "hush hush"

He keeps doing it.. his instagram makes me so cross, however much he earns I dunno, he's got something Assou- Ekotto about him

I still reckon it's gonna come out in a few years time that he was actually a con-man who somehow managed to fake his way into the role of professional footballer to secure himself a few lucrative deals.

2 hours ago, alexukhc said:

Still would like to know why he got arrested

I heard it was for fraud.

Apparently he was caught impersonating a footballer....

Christ. Never mind trawling through stats. I’ve seen him several times. With my own eyes. That’s enough to convince me he wouldn’t look out of place up at the Sea Walls.

He’s dreadful. And as for driving around in a car with matt paint..... ******* hell!

I try very hard not to criticise individuals but what baffles me is that the coaching staff gave him a lot of game time at the expence of others when it was plain to see from a very early stage that he couldn't trap a bag of cement. 

3 hours ago, Olé said:

Briefly pondering on the ineptitude of Diony as his latest film-myself-driving Instagram flashed across my phone, I had a look at WhoScored.com (fantastic data reference for the minutiae of the game) to see quite how bad he is on paper. In nearly three and a half hours of football for us, he hasn't scored, he's had just one shot, and the team as a whole has failed to score the entire time that he's been on the pitch. Dive into the detail and he's the only player at the club to be worst or among the worst in every single relevant category.

721700181_ScreenShot2018-05-03at10_23_59.thumb.png.8ed0750daae7b94177a46c90d2d3f4da.png

Hindsight is obviously easy, but I think you'd be hard pushed to find a professional club that on paper has signed a statistically more inept forward player this season and I am waiting with much anticipation for the oddly quiet Mark Ashton to reprise his usual summer recess video - to see how he maintains his self-congratulatory tone on transfer activity.

Incidentally, rather than painting Diony as some kind of statistically awful freak of nature, the rational explanation would be to put these different stats all down to coincidence, bad luck and bad form.... but as someone pointed out on Twitter this week, Saint-Etienne's record before and after his move, makes the statistical meltdown beyond remarkable:

• Saint-Etienne before his 25/01 transfer: LDLLDLDLLLLL
  • Saint-Etienne since his 25/01 transfer: WWDWDDDWWDWWW

As the club are big fans of data, I keep wondering why we haven't just looked at all the evidence and written off the loan and sent him back already rather than sponsoring his London shopping trips and highly dubious approach to driving. But when I look at the records above, perhaps Saint-Etienne are actually paying us a bonus to keep him away from them. 

Odds on him being part of the lap of honour on Sunday?

Condensed Version

Diony

He's crap

2 hours ago, Olé said:

It's a fair point and I did a double take and cross-checked to see how much his data was skewed by playing so little. It isn't.

Hegeler, Eliasson and Woodrow have each played not much more time than Diony, and have 5, 3 and 10 shots versus his 1.

Engvall has played a grand total of 13 minutes in 2 league sub appearances with 75% pass completion and no mis-control.

Over 3 hours is enough to see that he doesn't shoot, he doesn't setup teammates, he can't pass, and mis-controls the ball.

Add in that he's offside or fouls more frequently than more or less everyone else, and I'm not sure we want a larger sample! 

That's the thing though, it's still a tiny sample size, whether skewed or not. 200 minutes is two-and-a-bit games. You wouldn't fairly judge the other four players on that amount of time either.

2 hours ago, phantom said:

Surely this is a criminal offence?

A bit like the Tammy incident, it only seemed to come public after word got out on here - but this time around it's stayed real "hush hush"

Haven’t seen the videos so don’t know the context. I guess if the phone is in a hands free setup then it’s not illegal to record footage in it? 

If he’s clearly holding it in his hand then he’s an idiot!

3 hours ago, cheshire_red said:

Might as well have sent Frankie Fielding up front.

At least if he tries crossing from the half way line near the Dolman,  we might get a shot on target!

Not long into the job here in 2016, LJ took the trouble to tell us that Jonathan Kodjia - 20 goal, £11m forward Jonathan Kodjia - was "tactically, an 18 year old." 

It can't be long now until LJ delivers his Diony assessment. There's not a lot of time left. Perhaps @Olé's stats will help.....

3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

How do we explain 11 goals and 8 assists for Dijon the year before?

It attracted interest from clubs in England and big clubs in France- there's got to be some sort of talent in there somewhere. Not defending the signing but he clearly did well last season.

Birmingham, Bournemouth and Brighton all interested last summer. For a bit of balance, some sort of graph from his season at Dijon.

C7YTioZXwAMiPN1.jpg

Even Steve Jones had a purple (or was that Orange?) patch.

Diony had two good seasons for Dijon, helping them to get promoted and then playing in the top division, scoring 11 in both seasons. Both Kodjia and Diedhiou struggled to make an impact in their first few games, the Championship is completely different from the French Leagues so it's not that surprising that Diony has struggled given he was under pressure to make an immediate impact. It was a gamble that didn't pay off, he'd have had a better chance if he'd joined us at the start of a season so he had time to play himself in, he's obviously got something from his record in previous seasons. Maybe the lesson is to get players with Championship (or at least English football) experience if they're being recruited in January on a loan deal.

Diony is utter crap. It may be the loss of form to top all losses of form or he maybe a one season wonder that got a transfer who knows. But since he has been here he has been beyond awful. 

I tried to give him the benefit of the doubt early on but bugger me he continued to be crap well beyond anything I have seen since Carl Hutchins 

DNA my ass. Add Woodrow Engval Elliason the two scousers into the mix we had by January the worst bench in the division to support a first 11 running on empty. 

Smell the coffee ladies!

1 hour ago, Shtanley said:

What about fights on park street per minute? 

I've just chatted to OPTA and we're going to need more information than that.

5 hours ago, Olé said:

Saint-Etienne before his 25/01 transfer: LDLLDLDLLLLL

Saint-Etienne since his 25/01 transfer: WWDWDDDWWDWWW

Staggering. 

5 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

So Saint Etienne are unbeaten since they got shot of the Spiderbull fraudster?  Whoever thought it'd be a good plan to bring him in needs a good smack.

That would be LJ then.

3 hours ago, Cheesleysmate said:

Perhaps when we send Diony back we to St Etienne we offer them Arn for £9 Million?

Remember, it is Bristol City that have been dumb not St Etienne.

Archived