IGNORED

Today’s game support for Big Mick

Wolf Island

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Um.......AD got us promoted to the the top division in 1976.......remind me where GJ got us to?  

The top division in 76 was non league let’s be honest about that compared to it now a days.

respecting the past is well & good but comparing it to Gary Johnson master play is not level. 

Also as you are aware the Messiah Steve Lansdown wasn’t here either then...

4 minutes ago, Maggersno1Fan said:

The top division in 76 was non league let’s be honest about that compared to it now a days.

respecting the past is well & good but comparing it to Gary Johnson master play is not level. 

Also as you are aware the Messiah Steve Lansdown wasn’t here either then...

I gues you weren't around during the halcyon days then.

Mick McCarthy aside...

People talk about relegation? Seen the bottom third, maybe slightly more of this League this year??

42, 43 points or thereabouts was survival- the newly promoted sides won't pull up trees IMO, one or 2 surprise packages will bottom out a bit.

We got a number of issues, but genuinely I'm not too worried about a relegation scrap- maybe on the fringes but nothing vastly worrying.

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Mick McCarthy aside...

People talk about relegation? Seen the bottom third, maybe slightly more of this League this year??

42, 43 points or thereabouts was survival- the newly promoted sides won't pull up trees IMO, one or 2 surprise packages will bottom out a bit.

We got a number of issues, but genuinely I'm not too worried about a relegation scrap- maybe on the fringes but nothing vastly worrying.

Wish I had your confidence.  What in the last few months has given you hope?  Or do you just think there'll be 4 or 5 teams who are truly terrible?

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Mick McCarthy aside...

Wigan & Blackburn will stay up

Brum may finally dropped, A given West Brom or Stoke will go straight down 

Just now, Maggersno1Fan said:

Wigan & Blackburn will stay up

Brum may finally dropped, A given West Brom or Stoke will go straight down 

?

I think Brum will be half reasonable next season - some decent players and reasonable squad with Monk making some changes in Summe

I see WBA being decent (Think they won’t be far away from immediate return personally)  , Stoke may not pull up any trees but won’t  drop through ?

10 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

?

I think Brum will be half reasonable next season - some decent players and reasonable squad with Monk making some changes in Summe

I see WBA being decent (Think they won’t be far away from immediate return personally)  , Stoke may not pull up any trees but won’t  drop through ?

Would you of thought that about the rest who have come down & bottom out to league 1

18 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Mick McCarthy aside...

Bold statement Pop.

What needs to be considered is if you take our form from December onwards- apply that form across a season 

We'd be 23rd on 39 Points.

Only team worse than us? - Sunderland. 9 Points out of our last 33 including draws against Burton and Barnsley who are both relegated.

With the way we're playing such as today and Hull could we beat Wigan? Blackburn?

One clean sheet in our last 8, the draw to Forest.

If we have to rely on half the team that started today and the manner in which they played today and most of the season Jan onwards - I fear for our future. Period.

Johnson has had 4 ****ing windows and spent upwards of £20m. We're not getting that back on Deidhiou and Brownhill, let alone the other signings. We have the same issues as when LJ joined - GK, RB, CB, CM.

Say what you want about Cotts, Pembo, but the players seemed as if they cared.

In what world does a 50% good season 50% disaster promote 'stability'?

Bit of rant and I apologise in advance for it. But we need stability. We won't get that with Johnson in charge based upon current evidence.

3 hours ago, JBFC II said:

In 26 years as a manager, McCarthy has had 2 promotions, 6 of those years were as manager of Ireland but even still he has had 2 promotions in 20 years.....

...and both of those promotions were for winning the 5th toughest division in Europe as Champions...and you have simply chosen to ignore Mick’s amazing managerial record...let me enlighten you:

In his first season as manager of Millwall he took them to a 3rd place finish in the second tier (Championship)

In his first full season as manager of Sunderland he got them to the Championship play offs and in his second season he won the championship as champions and went up into the premier league

In his first season in charge of Wolves he took them to the championship play offs; in his second season he finished 7th in the championship, in his third season he won the championship as champions, took Wolves into the premier league and kept them there for three seasons - not bad in just six years

At Ipswich he had less than £6m to spend on players in total over his six years there, yet he kept them in the championship

In his last two managerial jobs he lasted 6 years in each....that’s a long, long time in football management terms....Mick McCarthy’s managerial record is amazing and very successful...your selective and dismissive summary does not tell the whole story....

1 hour ago, Fuber said:

Bold statement Pop.

What needs to be considered is if you take our form from December onwards- apply that form across a season 

Only team worse than us? - Sunderland. 9 Points out of our last 33 including draws against Burton and Barnsley who are both relegated.

With the way we're playing such as today and Hull could we beat Wigan? Blackburn?

If we have to rely on half the team that started today and the manner in which they played today and most of the season Jan onwards - I fear for our future. Period.

Johnson has had 4 ****ing windows and spent upwards of £20m. We're not getting that back on Deidhiou and Brownhill, let alone the other signings. We have the same issues as when LJ joined - GK, RB, CB, CM.

Bit of rant and I apologise in advance for it. But we need stability. We won't get that with Johnson in charge based upon current evidence.

I don't think we'd go down- it would be tight but overall based on this season, how many medicore sides there are, Ipswich will surely have problems replacing the guy in the thread title, they could fall if they're not careful.

It's not necessarily that I see us as vastly too good to drop, mainly I see a lot of grounds to say that we would probably stay up- thanks in decent parts to the flaws in other sides, be they financial or just generally not great.

It's far from an ambitious approach or one I'd want to see, however if we strip it down we'd probably stay up.

@Maggersno1Fan

Blackburn and Wigan? Might stay up- they're in better shape than last time, but I think most of the playoff sides won't- with the possible exception of Shrewsbury. Plenty of other sides are hardly going to charge onwards or upwards next season though IMO,. Stoke? Will stay down. West Brom? Financial issues potentially, release clauses for several of their best players, decent number out of contract, some aging players too- it could go any way there, maybe they'd be top half but I can't see them dominating the division or anything like that.

@RumRed

Very fair question. Just think there will be quite a few poor sides. e.g.

• Playoff side coming up? Will struggle big quite likely.
  • Ipswich, Forest hardly look likely to surge next season.
  • Bolton are still in a huge financial mess so more of the same for them next season.
  • Sheffield Wednesday- Finished this season very decently, but at the same time have FFP issues incoming which will set them back.
  • Reading- Could have FFP issues, but could also improve- it's hard to say but they've gambled so...you tell me. :dunno:

It's not so much a vote of confidence in us, as looking at other sides and their limitations on the pitch, budget wise or the fact that a decent number will struggle with FFP and that will set them back.

2 hours ago, Maggersno1Fan said:

The top division in 76 was non league let’s be honest....

Utter bollox! Real men played football back then and didn’t cry if the pitch was a bit dodgy....they got on with it...the over-paid show ponies who prance around in today’s top division wouldn’t have lasted a minute back then....great players like Glenn Hoddle, Kenneth Dalglish, Graeme Souness, Terry McDermott, Alan Hansen, Kevin Keegan, Ossie Ardiles, Clive Allen, Bob Latchford, Cyrille Regis, Bryan Robson, Tony Currie, Gerry Gow, Arnold Muhren, John Robertson, Garry Birtles, Joe Jordan, Dave Mackay, Stan Bowles, Eddie Gray etc etc etc etc played amazing football in much more testing times and under much more testing conditions.... you’re obviously a product of the post 1992 Sky Sports generation....you missed out....and as for your hero Maggers....he’d have got battered or mesmerised by all of those listed above....they didn’t try to look like a precious member of a boy band....they just played football and they were a zillion times harder and better than the over-protected, delicate millionaires in today’s game....the top tier back then was ‘non league’?! Clueless....

13 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Utter bollox! Real men played football back then and didn’t cry if the pitch was a bit dodgy....they got on with it...the over-paid show ponies who prance around in today’s top division wouldn’t have lasted a minute back then....great players like Glenn Hoddle, Kenneth Dalglish, Graeme Souness, Terry McDermott, Alan Hansen, Kevin Keegan, Ossie Ardiles, Clive Allen, Bob Latchford, Cyrille Regis, Bryan Robson, Tony Currie, Gerry Gow, Arnold Muhren, John Robertson, Garry Birtles, Joe Jordan, Dave Mackay, Stan Bowles, Eddie Gray etc etc etc etc played amazing football in much more testing times and under much more testing conditions.... you’re obviously a product of the post 1992 Sky Sports generation....you missed out....

At the same time though, their fitness was far, far less than today.

Diets were nothing compared to today, alcohol was rife. Teams were far less tactically rigorously setup, prepared- some of them in today's game, with those fitness regimes would be blowing after an hour at best. I'm not knocking their technical ability incidentally, but it's very hard to compare- imagine 70's formations of basic basic 4-4-2 at high levels today- mullered a lot of them? On the other hand though, a decent chunk of modern players wouldn't cope on those pitches and conditions- wouldn't be up for it.

1 hour ago, Fuber said:

Bold statement Pop.

23rd since the turn of the year but for some we have excelled this season. 

59 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

...and both of those promotions were for winning the 5th toughest division in Europe as Champions...and you have simply chosen to ignore Mick’s amazing managerial record...let me enlighten you:

In his first season as manager of Millwall he took them to a 3rd place finish in the second tier (Championship)

In his first full season as manager of Sunderland he got them to the Championship play offs and in his second season he won the championship as champions and went up into the premier league

In his first season in charge of Wolves he took them to the championship play offs; in his second season he finished 7th in the championship, in his third season he won the championship as champions, took Wolves into the premier league and kept them there for three seasons - not bad in just six years

At Ipswich he had less than £6m to spend on players in total over his six years there, yet he kept them in the championship

In his last two managerial jobs he lasted 6 years in each....that’s a long, long time in football management terms....Mick McCarthy’s managerial record is amazing and very successful...your selective and dismissive summary does not tell the whole story....

Great post. Leaves me wondering who is good enough for City in some people’s eyes, if not McCarthy. Pochettino maybe. 

I struggle to think of a realistic target who has a better record or is so well suited to the particular issues with our squad.

16 minutes ago, Ser Davos Ciderworth said:

Great post. Leaves me wondering who is good enough for City in some people’s eyes, if not McCarthy. Pochettino maybe. 

I struggle to think of a realistic target who has a better record or is so well suited to the particular issues with our squad.

Totally agree mate, for some reasons our fans instantly reject proven, successful guys like Warnock, McCarthy and Bruce....it’s like we don’t want to have success! Strange...and not forgetting McCarthy managed his country to the World Cup and stood up to Roy Keane’s tantrums....he’s that hard!

7 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

At the same time though, their fitness was far, far less than today.

Diets were nothing compared to today, alcohol was rife. Teams were far less tactically rigorously setup, prepared- some of them in today's game, with those fitness regimes would be blowing after an hour at best. I'm not knocking their technical ability incidentally, but it's very hard to compare- imagine 70's formations of basic basic 4-4-2 at high levels today- mullered a lot of them? On the other hand though, a decent chunk of modern players wouldn't cope on those pitches and conditions- wouldn't be up for it.

I would even knock the technical ability, the ball technology & boot technology this age is a big contributor 

Archived