IGNORED

Taxi for Frankie

Spoons

20 hours ago, glynriley said:

We've had half a dozen keepers come and go. Frankie is still number one. Mark my words, if Ashton and Johnson identity a new one, he won't be as good. 

Can’t argue with the last sentence!! If any new keeper they identify is from France with a huge pineapple on his head we’ll be relegated by October. However we could do with an upgrade ideally.

2 hours ago, Red Army 75 said:
  • It was not a good day for Frank Fielding as only 44% of his passes found their target.

I'm sure that's true but no idea why LJ persists with Frankie kicking to the side when we all know he' s not accurate enough to do it. You'd think we'd do something else rather than repeating the same mistake over and over. Then again, the option of passing out to centre backs never seems to be tried, probably because neither of them can pass a ball. Odd that they don't get the flack that Frankie does. Personally think got much bigger problems than replacing Frankie.

16 hours ago, Calculus said:

I'm sure that's true but no idea why LJ persists with Frankie kicking to the side when we all know he' s not accurate enough to do it. You'd think we'd do something else rather than repeating the same mistake over and over. Then again, the option of passing out to centre backs never seems to be tried, probably because neither of them can pass a ball. Odd that they don't get the flack that Frankie does. Personally think got much bigger problems than replacing Frankie.

All the centre backs have passing accuracies over 70%. 

If Bristol Citys outfield players cannot pass a ball what does it say about the teams football? At their best this season Bristol City certainly were passing the ball.

I disagree that Bristol City players cannot pass a ball. My point would be is that if Lee Johnson wants Bristol City to be a passing team building from the back its starts with the Keeper. 

Ok, let me rephrase it. Don't think they can pass a ball forward or play it out of defence with any confidence. Knocking easy balls side to side might give good stats but it's slow and ineffective. I'm not defending Frankie's distribution - it is poor and needs to improve - but he shouldn't be the total scapegoat when others are far from faultless.

2 minutes ago, Calculus said:

Ok, let me rephrase it. Don't think they can pass a ball forward or play it out of defence with any confidence. Knocking easy balls side to side might give good stats but it's slow and ineffective. I'm not defending Frankie's distribution - it is poor and needs to improve - but he shouldn't be the total scapegoat when others are far from faultless.

Totally agree. The likes of Baker, Flint and Pisano are pretty poor. Mags in fairness looked decent when brought on the other day. I have sympathy for FF being asked to kick it to the touchline all the time really is a complete nonsense.

24 minutes ago, Calculus said:

The centre backs and full backs are playing forward and all have passing accuracies above 70% Pisano apart (?).

Knocking easy balls side to side is part of football good and bad. Manchester City play simple, quick early so do Liverpool .. Knocking easy balls is another option v doing something you are saying yourself Frank Fielding is not good enough to do.

Frank Fielding is 30. It is improbable that he will improve dramatically which impacts the teams football . 

I was making a point about Lee Johnson and so are you about technical deficiency and Bristol Citys football. Bristol City teams beneath the first team play out of the back. If this is Bristol Citys philosophy and its future game (FA blurb) the Keeper is integral.

I actually think the issue with Frank is confidence - as it is with other under-performing players at the club.

Steele was considered good enough to play in the cup games, so had LJ been rational about it and really wanted to win the game he'd have stuck him between the sticks on Sunday.  The reserve keeper should be there to provide competition for the man currently occupying the role - not just be there to cover for injuries. No position on the pitch should be guaranteed to a player simply because the manager doesn't think the alternative is any good. we should have realistic competition everywhere.

Having picked the ball out of the net 10 times in the last 4 games, Frank's confidence will be shattered. We've seen this before and - to be fair to FF - he's come back after a rest and looked a much better keeper.

There are weaknesses to his game, but I think the reason he's been poor recently is a temporary  loss of form.

If Johnson doesn't think Luke Steele is the man to step up in those circumstances, another keeper should be bought this summer.  And serious consideration should be given to us starting next season with the new man in goal.

I'm going to do something now, I don't often do, stick up for Frankie.

Because we have been recognised as a side that prefers to pass out from the back, teams press to stop us doing that. I agree @Red-Robbo , confidence seems low throughout the side and so options seem limited. The CBs pull wide and Pack normally drops deep, but there are few other options so if  these 3 passes are cut off we go longer and FF kicking is exposed. 
Man City manage to have a pass into MF nearly every time , they are of course more comfortable on the ball but the ideas are similar. I watched out 2 games Vs Man C , and games since and I was surprised at the number of times there is an easy ball on to somewhere near the centre circle, while shorter options are cut off. FF always makes himself available, on either foot, for a back pass. This may take the pressure off a defender, but puts it on his kicking. His choice, or instruction , who knows but he goes for the more difficult option of a pass near the touchline, often this leads to a thrown for the opposition.
Not sure why Steele hasn't been given a game recently, maybe off in the summer? The problem with spending money on a keeper is that we may have to generate funds by selling, and so have other priorities to replace. I do think we need to upgrade to push forward.

He was awful but his kicking has always been hasnt it. His distribution is awful and his misplaced pass to Brownhill says it all.  I think the club have tried to address this but have simply come up short in the recruitment process (Giefer, O'Donnell, Lucic, Steele). FF is a league one goalie and perhaps a good back up keeper. He  needs to be replaced in the Summer. 

3 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I'm going to do something now, I don't often do, stick up for Frankie.

Because we have been recognised as a side that prefers to pass out from the back, teams press to stop us doing that. I agree @Red-Robbo , confidence seems low throughout the side and so options seem limited. The CBs pull wide and Pack normally drops deep, but there are few other options so if  these 3 passes are cut off we go longer and FF kicking is exposed. 
Man City manage to have a pass into MF nearly every time , they are of course more comfortable on the ball but the ideas are similar. I watched out 2 games Vs Man C , and games since and I was surprised at the number of times there is an easy ball on to somewhere near the centre circle, while shorter options are cut off. FF always makes himself available, on either foot, for a back pass. This may take the pressure off a defender, but puts it on his kicking. His choice, or instruction , who knows but he goes for the more difficult option of a pass near the touchline, often this leads to a thrown for the opposition.
Not sure why Steele hasn't been given a game recently, maybe off in the summer? The problem with spending money on a keeper is that we may have to generate funds by selling, and so have other priorities to replace. I do think we need to upgrade to push forward.

Man Citys centre backs split and drop to the edge of the box. The full backs push up high and wide as do wide midfielders. The central midfield players then drop into the created space as a secondary movement. Bristol City did do similar (ish) but where not as bold and energetic. Bristol Citys version did not create as much space for that ball to the centre circle. 

City are not a team that plays out of the back consistently now. There have been games where Frankie has gone long at every opportunity. Citys players are not looking to split regularly. Frankie Fielding opts to go long consistently v even looking to go short.  This theme occurs with no pressure being applied to Citys players. This is not due to the opposition it is due to Lee Johnsons instruction.

Frankie Fielding consistently does not make himself available for the defenders. He is almost locked into his box v leaving it to become an option. A tactical choice by Mr Johnson. 

There is a defence here of Frank Fielding. Because this is MrJohnson's technical and tactical decision. It is about what Mr Johnson wants BCFC to be now (last season) and in future.

Improvement depending on perception can be made there with and without Frank Fieding in goal.

If Mr Johnson wants City to not play out Frank Feilding's ability to go longer is decent. 

1 minute ago, Cowshed said:

City are not a team that plays out of the back consistently now

Yep. This may come from the confidence being low, although nothing wrong with mixing things up , you don't want to be predictable. It's the options though, not just for FF but through the team, in the early part of the season players were always available. This made a passing game easy, if you have 2 or 3 options when you're on the ball it becomes a simple game. Move on to the latter part of the season , fewer options and players were less eager to take the ball.

7 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Frankie Fielding consistently does not make himself available for the defenders. He is almost locked into his box v leaving it to become an option.

Agree about not leaving his box , this really bugs me, but he has over the years been happy to take a pass from defenders, all be it very deep. He is no sweeper keeper. 

12 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

f Mr Johnson wants City to not play out Frank Feilding's ability to go longer is decent. 

No denying he has a good length kick, it's the accuracy that annoys and confuses people. I'm amazed that they stick with the tactic of going wide for a header when a high percentage end up just giving possession away as a throw in.

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

Yep. This may come from the confidence being low, although nothing wrong with mixing things up , you don't want to be predictable. It's the options though, not just for FF but through the team, in the early part of the season players were always available. This made a passing game easy, if you have 2 or 3 options when you're on the ball it becomes a simple game. Move on to the latter part of the season , fewer options and players were less eager to take the ball.

Agree about not leaving his box , this really bugs me, but he has over the years been happy to take a pass from defenders, all be it very deep. He is no sweeper keeper. 

No denying he has a good length kick, it's the accuracy that annoys and confuses people. I'm amazed that they stick with the tactic of going wide for a header when a high percentage end up just giving possession away as a throw in.

We obviously share similar views on football. I frequently watch City and think "can't they just keep it!"

I may dislike Citys future game, but did enthuse about one they played not so long ago. That was not solely based on results it was due to intent. Within the club right now is intent at academy level to play out, to take possession under light pressure, players the midfield players are generally comfortable on the ball ... The club appears ready to pursue a clear path and way of playing.

The unevenness in the first teams play is not down to confidence, unless its the Managers crisis in confidence in his approach and players ... It is not that hard at all to create the improvements both of us post about. They are basics, and less complex than that mad goal kick that will unfortunately be a legacy for Frank Fielding in fans minds - He kept kicking the ball off the pitch. I think Frank Fielding, City players and Lee Johnson are far better that that, and the less than focused football they have been playing ... They are not crap. There is more there. That is a positive.     

Archived