IGNORED

Taxi for Frankie

Spoons

The age old question that I have is what do they do all week at training?

We are not talking a kid here - we are talking a seasoned professional who has had these deficiencies since we have first saw him.

Do they not work on things - for example get him to kick to various field positions and where necessary ask him to adjust his body position or angle of approach etc if they find he skews kicks when aiming for a certain area until he can hit that defined area fairly regularly with the adjustments made. 

He has 2 feet, can kick fairly far so for me that is all the attributes you need aligned with coaching to develop and improve your kicking ability but it has not happened - why? I just don’t understand it tbh !!

54 minutes ago, Andy Horsman said:

Frankly (no pun intended!) he looked shell-shocked today. His kicking is poor. He is beaten far too often on his near post. He doesn't command his area and he doesn't have the confidence of his defenders, that much is now obvious. Simply not good enough. May be the nicest man in creation and a good egg, but if the club is serious about moving forward, this position MUST be a priority in terms of short-term recruitment planning.

Highlight for us though was when he turned round and said “what?”

:yes:

Keep in touch. Next season won’t be the same. And you’d pass as an U12! 

I think we have reached a point with Frank where he is no longer improving, but he is at an age when 'keepers should be approaching their peak. 

Also, in my opinion, his lack of command of his box seems to be costing us more than his shot stopping ability seems to be saving us, if you see what I mean. I would prefer a 'keeper to come in who commands his box. 

I don't even buy into this 'good shot stopper' stuff. He's got good reflexes and from 3 yards he can make a good reaction save. But his positioning, his reading of the game, his anticipation are all woeful, and as a result he gets beaten far to often from long range shots (first today being a case in point). 

7 minutes ago, Neo said:

We are not talking a kid here - we are talking a seasoned professional who has had these deficiencies since we have first saw him.

Do they not work on things - for example get him to kick to various field positions and where necessary ask him to adjust his body position or angle of approach etc if they find he skews kicks when aiming for a certain area until he can hit that defined area fairly regularly with the adjustments made. 

He has 2 feet, can kick fairly far so for me that is all the attributes you need aligned with coaching to develop and improve your kicking ability but it has not happened - why? I just don’t understand it tbh !!

He reminds me of me at a driving range, i can hit it bloody miles but i have no idea in which direction its going to go.

1 hour ago, Andy Horsman said:

Frankly (no pun intended!) he looked shell-shocked today. His kicking is poor. He is beaten far too often on his near post. He doesn't command his area and he doesn't have the confidence of his defenders, that much is now obvious. Simply not good enough. May be the nicest man in creation and a good egg, but if the club is serious about moving forward, this position MUST be a priority in terms of short-term recruitment planning.

That's bollocks for a start. Flint has looked worse in front of every keeper who has come in for Frankie.  I get that he can't kick to save his ass but if LJ  replaces him next year He'll be sorely missed IMO. 

Just now, RumRed said:

He reminds me of me at a driving range, i can hit it bloody miles but i have no idea in which direction its going to go.

I was thinking of golf when I wrote my post.

Presumably a golf-pro (ie coach) would look at your swing, work with you on body shape, change of grip etc etc and after days, weeks or whatever get you driving straight.

Why can’t our coaches work the same with FF?

4 minutes ago, Neo said:

I was thinking of golf when I wrote my post.

Presumably a golf-pro (ie coach) would look at your swing, work with you on body shape, change of grip etc etc and after days, weeks or whatever get you driving straight.

Why can’t our coaches work the same with FF?

I'm 100% with you. I'm sure if I was 'into' golf it wouldn't take that many lessons to keep it vaguely straight and i'm certainly no sportsman.  I don't understand how he can't be coached, is it him or the coaching?

No one seems to have mentioned the third goal - surely he should have come for the cross, he definitely looked like he was going to and then stayed still before they hammered it home.

I can forgive the kicking, as the shot stopping at times is first class, BUT his decision making whether today or vs Wolves is nowhere near the best in the division (the stats surely can't reflect more than a shots / saves / goals ratio)?

2 minutes ago, glynriley said:

That's bollocks for a start. Flint has looked worse in front of every keeper who has come in for Frankie.  I get that he can't kick to save his was but if LJ  replaces him next year He'll be sorely missed IMO. 

No the bollocks is that, with the greatest respect, if that's as good a point you can make in his defence, given how god awful the other keepers have been, then he isn't the answer

Decision making very poor. Even little things like 2nd half, when we had decided to go mainly route one, there were times when Pack or Magnússon were unmarked 10 yards away and he ignored them and then punted the ball towards Reid or Semenyo when he came on. Surely Pack or Magnússon would knock a better ball and more than likely hit its target. 

12 minutes ago, Andy Horsman said:

No the bollocks is that, with the greatest respect, if that's as good a point you can make in his defence, given how god awful the other keepers have been, then he isn't the answer

We've had half a dozen keepers come and go. Frankie is still number one. Mark my words, if Ashton and Johnson identity a new one, he won't be as good. 

2 minutes ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Frankie reminds me of Elvis a bit, great reactive shot stopper, hard to beat from distance but distribution and positioning needs work. if we shore up a defence that can somethimes dissapear completely he is good enough for us as long as he learns to kick 

Hard to beat from distance? Not sure Sheffield united agree with that !! 

50 minutes ago, Chris_Brown said:

I think we have reached a point with Frank where he is no longer improving, but he is at an age when 'keepers should be approaching their peak. 

Also, in my opinion, his lack of command of his box seems to be costing us more than his shot stopping ability seems to be saving us, if you see what I mean. I would prefer a 'keeper to come in who commands his box. 

The Sheffield Utd keeper had very little to do, but I couldn’t help nod my head in agreement with the bloke behind me who after seeing him pluck the ball off the head of our players and said ‘if only Frankie could do that’. 

And yes, his first kick into touch was under a minute.

Problem we have with fielding, and most of the other players, is that we have to rely on lj and ma to sign someone better. Steele and geifer have come in, and i cant even remember who else, i dont trust the club that they wont spend a few million and we wont see any significant improvement.

5 hours ago, Antman said:

i was puzzled by the first goal, he didn't move at all to his left despite the no 9 taking an age to shape up to place the ball there - he must have seen what was unfolding - i felt he could have done more there.

another poor game

No way on this planet was it FF fault, not even close. How about the 2/3 defenders in front of Clarke who just kept backing off? Was a great finish too.

As another said and me before that, who was between the sticks on our cup run?

frankie another Johnson favourite! Next season a disaster waiting to happen -  difficult summer?? If our head coach had a clue we would be looking forward to great things! Instead we all know the clown will still be there and the confidence within the squad will be on a headlong dive to nowhere!

crowdfund the move to West Brom !?!?

3 hours ago, Neo said:

It is simple. Technical foundation is built by thousands of hours of deliberate intense practice (years). Frank Fielding does not have a broad technical foundation to work with. If he does not have that ability, that foundation now, his potential to improve is vastly reduced.

Great emphasis is placed upon distribution now when coaching Keepers. That emphasis starts with children Keepers in an attempt to build that foundation. Waiting till adulthood is too late ... 

The distribution thing...you've either got it or you haven't- he has been trained, coached, schooled that way- very hard for any player, especially a keeper to change midstream that sort of thing. Distribution aside, he's done a good job for us down the years IMO...

@archie andrews Like you, don't like knocking individual players. That Wolves game however- just thinking about it- season flashing before my eyes, well from that point onward at least- mind you, tactically we can't blame him entirely for that because had Flint been deeper after we'd gone a goal up, a priceless goal up, we might have dealt with that situation better and it may not have even occurred- what might have been...

13 hours ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

Decision making very poor. Even little things like 2nd half, when we had decided to go mainly route one, there were times when Pack or Magnússon were unmarked 10 yards away and he ignored them and then punted the ball towards Reid or Semenyo when he came on. Surely Pack or Magnússon would knock a better ball and more than likely hit its target. 

That's down to LJ though. hes been told to go route one. hes told to take the goal kicks that way. City could roll it out a lot more. think it sums Citys so called identity up. scattergun!!

16 hours ago, BCFC11 said:

No way on this planet was it FF fault, not even close. How about the 2/3 defenders in front of Clarke who just kept backing off? Was a great finish too.

definitely agree about the defense, they gave him a shocking amount of room to tee it up - FF didn't seem to anticipate it at all is my point.

Archived