IGNORED

SL more motivated towards Bristol Bears than BCFC?

cityironman

3 minutes ago, JasonM88 said:

They are not one of the same, and can never be one of the same due to different regulations on money in both sports. It does not allow income from both clubs to simply be put into one pot. 

I appreciate that but they both come under the wing of Bristol Sport who have one of the UKs richest men at their head. I just get the impression that he is pushing the accelerator down with the rugby whilst the football club is in neutral!!

9 hours ago, bris red said:

Indeed. I look at the chairman of Brighton and think thats a man that really wanted the topflight for his club, got the stadium got the proven manager in Chris Hughton and then backed him heavily financially. Tony Bloom was/is serious the Lansdowns for me are too happy plodding, its needs a Tony Bloom approach imo..

It took Brighton six seasons on their return to the second tier to be promoted to the PL.

Six seasons and four managers. 

Including a play off loss to their bitter rivals, CP.

And another play off failure after that.

They got it horribly wrong appointing Hyppia, finishing 20th. They sacked him, and the head of recruitment.

They moved into a modern training complex during this time.

And finally got it right - after more heartbreak finishing 3rd to Mboro on goal difference -  drawing at Boro on the last day, then blowing the play offs again, third time in 5 seasons.

Not sure we could cope with all that drama.

28 minutes ago, cityironman said:

I appreciate that but they both come under the wing of Bristol Sport who have one of the UKs richest men at their head. I just get the impression that he is pushing the accelerator down with the rugby whilst the football club is in neutral!!

Money doesn’t guarantee any form of success in football, and Lansdown learnt that before, and the cost of tens/hundreds of millions. It seems that there is almost a linear relationship with money and success in rugby.  

9 hours ago, JasonM88 said:

Money doesn’t guarantee any form of success in football, and Lansdown learnt that before, and the cost of tens/hundreds of millions. It seems that there is almost a linear relationship with money and success in rugby.  

No there isn't.

Bath flouted the salary cap won jack shit.

Sarries flouted the cap they won plenty.

Exeter stayed within the limits and won the Prem.

The French league has the highest salary cap of all - one semi finalist in the European Cup this year.

Pro 14 deemed the weakest league in Europe got 3 semi finalists.

All you do is spout insults backed up by facts you pluck out of the air.

SL is more serious about the rugby club because it will give him personal glory at a lower cost and he is an accountant after all.

19 hours ago, bris red said:

Even before FFP was a ‘thing’ Lansdown never really splashed the cash. The odd signings here and there but he has always been very sensible with his cash when lets be honest if you want success in this sport you have to take a financial risk as such . He could have easily thrown more around in his early tenure as chairman if he really wanted too...

Bristol City has never made a profit since Steve Lansdown has been Chairman. Bristol City has made significant losses often over ten million pounds a season in the recent past. The club has loans of tens of millions repayable to Steve Lansdown to cover losses and debt, which the FC does not have the means in reality to pay back. The last and the next accounts showed and will show a deficit,  Annual account summaries have highlighted concerns about the club being a on going business without Steve Landown's cash injections. 

There is great risk and throwing money around there.

On ‎08‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 07:25, Phileas Fogg said:

It’s an interesting angle on the theory that Lansdown wouldn’t appoint a hard nosed and experienced manager for City.

Pat Lam is very experienced and isn’t a ‘yes man’ at all. 

Perhaps by nature there are less Lee Johnson type coaches in rugby, but still - by appointing Lam it shows that Lansdown will appoint that ‘type’ if necessary.

Or.. and I’m wildly speculating here.. does Jon Lansdown have more of a say on the football side than rugby and it was him that feels more comfortable around people like Johnson?

If that’s the case, perhaps it’s an extension on @Olé‘s ideas about Johnson surrounding himself with players he feels comfortable with carrying on right up to board level..

I think it's just the case that the Lansdowns don't 'interfere' as much in the rugby side, as they do not know as much about the intricacies of the game. Football side, they like to be involved in everything hence the need for a yes man.

That said, I heard from someone very close to Bristol Rugby only last summer that there is plenty of boardroom interference in playing matters and that it is well known in rugby circles (not the Lansdowns, but Chris Booy etc). Doesn't happen at other clubs apparently, but Bristol.... 

Probably just a coincidence that there are persistent rumours of boardroom interference at both clubs within the Lansdown sporting stables...

5 hours ago, Loon plage said:

No there isn't.

Bath flouted the salary cap won jack shit.

Sarries flouted the cap they won plenty.

Exeter stayed within the limits and won the Prem.

The French league has the highest salary cap of all - one semi finalist in the European Cup this year.

Pro 14 deemed the weakest league in Europe got 3 semi finalists.

All you do is spout insults backed up by facts you pluck out of the air.

SL is more serious about the rugby club because it will give him personal glory at a lower cost and he is an accountant after all.

As I said earlier, **** off. 

17 hours ago, Loon plage said:

So ..

1. What can Bristol rugby afford ?

2. What can bcfc afford?

3. What does LJ earn?

4. What does PL earn?

You dont know the answer to any of those questions so I suggest you shut up until you do.

It’s rather easy to find out any of these. Look at the accounts, what can BCFC afford? not much more than they already pay. what can the rugby afford? Less in real terms, more in terms of the money in their sport. What’s Pat Lam on? About £550,000 pa. What’s LJ on? A fair bit more than that, probably 175% of that. 

1 hour ago, JasonM88 said:

It’s rather easy to find out any of these. Look at the accounts, what can BCFC afford? not much more than they already pay. what can the rugby afford? Less in real terms, more in terms of the money in their sport. What’s Pat Lam on? About £550,000 pa. What’s LJ on? A fair bit more than that, probably 175% of that. 

If its easy to find out then find it out and share with the forum.

Yet again you pluck figure out of the air.

12 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

If its easy to find out then find it out and share with the forum.

Yet again you pluck figure out of the air.

I plucked that figure off of the internet you wetter. It’s also the first number I’ve used conversing with you, thus renders your ‘yet again’ comment completely inappropriate and useless. 

Now I’ll say it one more time; **** off. 

52 minutes ago, JasonM88 said:

I plucked that figure off of the internet you wetter. It’s also the first number I’ve used conversing with you, thus renders your ‘yet again’ comment completely inappropriate and useless. 

Nah, show the link..

You know you could get slung off this forum if you carry on like that.

3 hours ago, JasonM88 said:

If what you say is true then that means that Lee Johnson is on nearly £1m per annum or approx. £19k per week! Cant see it myself but if true we should be asking him for a large rebate, that definitely does not represent value for money!! :facepalm:

18 minutes ago, BigTone said:

I'm sure SL can see better financial rewards from Bristol Rugby than he can in BCFC.............NOT !!!!

You may be surprised BigTone, new main sponsors for premiership from next season (major American insurance co.), TV rights sold to major American TV company, new rugby union league (you know what i mean!!) starting soon in the USA and we all know how the Americans love their franchise names like Bears, Eagles, Giants etc. etc.

You see where i'm going with this i'm sure!! ;)

1 hour ago, cityironman said:

You may be surprised BigTone, new main sponsors for premiership from next season (major American insurance co.), TV rights sold to major American TV company, new rugby union league (you know what i mean!!) starting soon in the USA and we all know how the Americans love their franchise names like Bears, Eagles, Giants etc. etc.

You see where i'm going with this i'm sure!! ;)

Take your point but one season of BCFC in the Prem will earn more surely

2 hours ago, BigTone said:

Take your point but one season of BCFC in the Prem will earn more surely

I'm sure that your correct in that assumption but looking at the longer haul, who knows?!! Massive potential in the States alone, mega money in American sport especially the NFL. 

There's even a bloody major league baseball game at the London Stadium soon!! Where will it all end??!! :shocking:

£550k pa is a big enough salary for a Union player. It was reported in the Irish media in 2016 that Bristol were offering Lam €750k pa which is almost certainly more than Joe Schmidt earns to coach the Irish national side. Mental numbers for a Championship club if true. No wonder he took a huge step down to go there.

7 hours ago, MichaelRobartes said:

£550k pa is a big enough salary for a Union player. It was reported in the Irish media in 2016 that Bristol were offering Lam €750k pa which is almost certainly more than Joe Schmidt earns to coach the Irish national side. Mental numbers for a Championship club if true. No wonder he took a huge step down to go there.

Yes and (allegedly) the highest paid player in the game will join from Ulster next season.

15 hours ago, JasonM88 said:

Why are you being so hostile? Seems a bit unnecessary..

49 minutes ago, MichaelRobartes said:

It was reported that Charles Piatau would be getting around a million a year. That would certainly put him in the  conversation for highest paid player.

That salary figure is speculation and, by all accounts, well wide of the mark. However, certain individuals at certain Premiership rugby clubs have been throwing their toys out of the pram about Bristol Rugby's financial muscle, that's for sure. Money isn't everything though - as Exeter's success demonstrates, the sky is the limit if you get your recruitment right and employ a top class coach. Bristol did neither last time they were in the Prem and the same failures continue to afflict BCFC.  

Archived