IGNORED

Marlon Pack - new Agent

CyderInACan

17 minutes ago, Enter Sandman said:

Yeah. And I’m saying that if you’re assessing a top 6 squad, and you think Pack wouldn’t be in it, then neither would the rest of our squad bar Reid 

Possibly, I’d like to think a few could. Diedhiou, Baker, Reid and Flint I think would start for many top 6 sides. Not much else. People want reasons why we fell off. Multiple reasons but mostly because our best players should be good cover for better players. 

Look I like both Pack and Smith but neither are dynamic enough for a midfield two. Luckily, and if he ever plays there, Brownhill is. So it we persist with a two then could get away with either Smith or Pack(depending on matchups). In a midfield 3 both would be again competing with each other for the holding role. You could argue Pack could play a more box to box role like a Jackson Irvine but that would be a gamble and he isn’t the same level of athlete. 

I don’t want this to turn overly negative. I like our squad. I like every individual player but trying to be a realist, we have 6-7 positions that need big time strengthening before we can seriously talk about promotion. Now just because some isn’t a starter doesn’t mean they won’t have a big role to play. We need to add 4-5 top class players this summer especially if we are losing 1-2 ourselves. Hopefully Brownhill and COD take extra steps forward as well

48 minutes ago, Forever Red 94 said:

Marlon pack is the most important player in the team class at what he does. Absolute rolls royce of a championship midfielder, some players run around like headless chickens all game trying to prove how "good" they are, whereas pack controls the game with absolute ease which largely goes unnoticed. We must do everything we can to keep him, build the team around him and make him captain.

Welcome to the forum Marlon..

All joking aside...this is a bit OTT. I like Pack and believe he has improved massively...however our midfield has been suspect since we got promoted, and the times the gaps that are left are astonishing 

Sheffield United midfield were far superior to ours Sunday. As many have been this season

Pack has one year left on his contract...just like the other 3 members of their little group, he wants out and I believe he will leave

Aside from making a pile of cash for themselves I fail to understand what value an agent can add over and above their costs for players outside the Prem. 

I'm amazed so many players aren't intelligent enough to discuss a contract once every few years. 

For kids I get it. But Pack is a grown man who was in the final of the head to head ;)

Most contractors in life manage it quite easily and many earn more than league footballers. 

I like Marlon but the way I feel now I have no issues  if the entire back 5 and 2 CMs go. 

Offensive half of the team badly, badly let down by the defensive half, same as the last two seasons before it. We must have one of the softest CM pairings in the league. Despite liking both as individuals they are an ineffective pair and we concede chances far too easily through the midfield. 

Two quality full backs and a well matched midfield pair would see us considerably more solid. Oh and hopefully a competent goalkeeper. 

Just now, CotswoldRed said:

Aside from making a pile of cash for themselves I fail to understand what value an agent can add over and above their costs for players outside the Prem. 

I'm amazed so many players aren't intelligent enough to discuss a contract once every few years. 

For kids I get it. But Pack is a grown man who was in the final of the head to head ;)

Most contractors in life manage it quite easily and many earn more than league footballers. 

One less thing for them to think about, agents have their ears to the ground about various news a player wouldn't hear if they dealt with their own contracts.

8 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Negotiation is also a skill in itself. Most English footballers can barely spell their own name unattended let alone negotiate a contract. 

If you recall those head to head quizzes which Pack won 2 years running, I think he is one you can safely say that does not apply to..

4 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

If you recall those head to head quizzes which Pack won 2 years running, I think he is one you can safely say that does not apply to..

General knowledge and inside knowledge two different things, being smart is all well and good but then knowing what other players of his quality are likely making in various bonuses is a different level. 

5 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Yes that was aimed at footballers in general rather than Marlon specifically. But  the point still stands that negotiation of wages is an art in itself and a good agent will be worth his weight in gold over the years. 

Another say £5k a week on a 3 year contract is enormous if he can add that kind of value. The contacts they have with the right people in charge of bringing players to a club is also what they’re paying for. 

2 hours ago, Lew-T said:

I wouldn’t blame the bloke. I have the feeling we’re going to ‘cash in’ on a few this summer.

I’m a little concerned to say the least, especially with our recruitment lately. 

Wolves were supposedly after him in January, think he's a very underrated player anyway but he's come on leaps and bounds this season.

Wouldn't begrudge any of the team moving on honestly. They've earned it if they do leave. Only issue is we've got Captain Smarm and the Prodigal Son presiding over transfers, could be an interesting summer on here.

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

I've just posted my thoughts which contradict Joe's. But I also understand where he is coming from, because I've said the same about Pack in the past; if we are really going to go on a push for promotion, we need the next step or two up in quality over him. 

I agree. If we really want to push for promotion we need the next step or two up in EVERY position. Not just Marlon’s. 

The whole squad is not good enough for promotion. Not one of them. 

12 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

This place is truly a cess pit of spitting vipers. 

It is since you woke up Troll 

Are you jumping in with both feet again , and your head up yer azzzzz like you did with your

‘Why are people criticising Hoddle’  post (Priceless :))

:yes:

dohhhhhh dohhhhh dohhhhhhhh

:laughcont:

Theres a few threads about Championship Manager / FIFA 18 - Go and have a senile rant on those - you like the Console games :yawn:

29 minutes ago, Kingswood Robin said:

Wouldn't be surprised if he leaves. I think some of the better players were as pissed off with our ambitions in January as many supporters were. I can see a difficult summer and an even more difficult autumn. Lets hope it's not forever autumn, cause you're not here Pack.

An interesting analogy, Justin.

1 hour ago, Andy082005 said:

Welcome to the forum Marlon..

All joking aside...this is a bit OTT. I like Pack and believe he has improved massively...however our midfield has been suspect since we got promoted, and the times the gaps that are left are astonishing 

Sheffield United midfield were far superior to ours Sunday. As many have been this season

Pack has one year left on his contract...just like the other 3 members of their little group, he wants out and I believe he will leave

Agree about sheffield uniteds midfield, but then you have to consider what pack had around him. I have always rated marlon but he has come on so much this season that for me he is crucial for us to move forward. Whilst every other midfielder we have had form has dropped, pack has been consistent, never hid from a challenge and the bad runs and aswell as his passing ability his defensive side of the game is vital to us, I have lost count of the times this season that he has won the first ball, whether on the floor or in the air, often taking the pressure of flint and the back four. If you can get a consistent midfield around him then he can be the game changer, the man who sets the tempo and makes the team tick

Our midfield was more than fine for 50% of the season and borderline pony for the other 50%

Pack and Smith both put in good performances against Man City and Man Utd. This will get them both noticed.

Pack is a good player just not got a great turn of speed, but all players have something.

9 hours ago, Enter Sandman said:

I agree. If we really want to push for promotion we need the next step or two up in EVERY position. Not just Marlon’s. 

I wouldn't go that far. A couple or three quality additions to the first team regulars could be all that is needed to give us the consistency that we have lacked for long periods in the last two seasons. 

A decent keeper who has FF standard at shot stopping, dominates the goal area and who is at least competent at ball distribution that doesn't keep on losing possession. 

A solid right back who is able to provide assistance to the players in front of him, but who is primarily a defender. 

A creative midfielder who has the pace, energy to be box to box, chips in with 6/8 goals but who's major role is to provide goal scoring opportunities for others. 

Put those in a side with Flint, Bryan at left midfield,  Kelly, Baker, Magnússon, Reid, Diedhiou, Pack or Korey as defensive midfield, O'Dowda, maybe Eliasson. 

The icing on the cake would be a quality striker who is a combination of Diedhiou and Djuric. 

We're not too far away from being a decent Championship team but without more solidity and creativity, we will struggle to reach top half if the league. 

That's all about the monkeys. But what do we do with the Organ Grinder? 

9 hours ago, Enter Sandman said:

Let’s wait and see where our players who leave, (the ones we sell) land up before we decide that they aren’t good enough to play in the Premiership or for a team trying to win promotion to the Prem. 

24 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

I wouldn't go that far. A couple or three quality additions to the first team regulars could be all that is needed to give us the consistency that we have lacked for long periods in the last two seasons. 

A decent keeper who has FF standard at shot stopping, dominates the goal area and who is at least competent at ball distribution that doesn't keep on losing possession. 

A solid right back who is able to provide assistance to the players in front of him, but who is primarily a defender. 

A creative midfielder who has the pace, energy to be box to box, chips in with 6/8 goals but who's major role is to provide goal scoring opportunities for others. 

Put those in a side with Flint, Bryan at left midfield,  Kelly, Baker, Magnússon, Reid, Diedhiou, Pack or Korey as defensive midfield, O'Dowda, maybe Eliasson. 

The icing on the cake would be a quality striker who is a combination of Diedhiou and Djuric. 

We're not too far away from being a decent Championship team but without more solidity and creativity, we will struggle to reach top half if the league. 

That's all about the monkeys. But what do we do with the Organ Grinder? 

I see it exactly as this.

Trouble is I think the top monkeys have got restless and want to try new surroundings as the monkeys brought in to strengthen their group this season haven’t been up to much. They have realised the organ grinder is just grinding without getting a tune very often. The grass might not be greener to quote SL, but if you are a monkey it probably looks like this. 

The organ grinder will be without his reliable monkeys and will have to replace them and strengthen, twice the hassle when only a few editions would have been enough. 

The monkeys have ripped up the song sheet and the organ grinder is looking into the nursery for baby monkeys to do an adults work!

Archived