IGNORED

Carlos?

ExiledAjax

If there was to be a managerial change, now is the right time. Then the new person would have time to decide which players to keep, whoic the bring in and then get the team trained up ready for 2018/19.

The hard bit would be deciding who applied for the job looking for an easy pay day and who would come here thinking they can do something with this squad.

B86 states facts which clearly show any reasonably balanced person we have a very good manager working under a great owner so wont get much positive. comment on this 'forum for the negative'

One of the numerous reasons we love  bcfc is the class we have in footballing appointments and bucking the trend of the many hire n fire clubs who not-surprisingly end up in lower positions than our OTiB 

5 minutes ago, Hampshire Red said:

B86 states facts which clearly show any reasonably balanced person we have a very good manager working under a great owner so wont get much positive. comment on this 'forum for the negative'

One of the numerous reasons we love  bcfc is the class we have in footballing appointments and bucking the trend of the many hire n fire clubs who not-surprisingly end up in lower positions than our OTiB 

What timescale are you judging the above on?

On 11/05/2018 at 07:37, Olé said:

Yes mate. I'm massively biased but he's my answer to that retort "if you don't want LJ then who" (because apparently we all want Colin or Garry Monk, and therefore we should all be surrendering to the fact that LJ is as good as it gets and worth years more of sponsored trial and error). My answer to that is that there is actually someone out there now, available, and clearly better than LJ (sorry LJ) and his name is Marco Silva.

Saw him (with a few City mates) playing full back for Estoril in the second tier 10 years ago, and he went on to manage the team (average attendances in the low 4 figures) and take them to the top flight and Europe, where they drew away at Sevilla under him and were beating teams like Panathanaiakos (I was there) at home. He had a phenomenal record of carving out extraordinary results away from home with very average players.

He is a leader. He commands fierce loyalty from players. His teams tend to play with Cardiff levels of fearlessness but without the shite football. At the same time he's also not in the Mourinho school of arrogance. He's quietly spoken and sensible. He did well at Hull, and then again at Watford before the wheels came off. He's the opposite of LJ -  the first thing he builds is team, way before he thinks about the very long shopping list.

1867321464_ScreenShot2018-05-11at00_34_51.thumb.png.a49d0d74f6e1e34885174c72ebfa3fb8.png

Interesting read Olé, you clearly know a bit about this fella. Bottom line; it is not gonna happen. But nice to dream. Meanwhile, let us hope the summer changes LJ was talking about work the magic clearly needed; got off to a poor start with Adam going but what do we know.

On 10/05/2018 at 14:54, BRISTOL86 said:

He’s only marginally more successful at this level than Johnson.

Unless it’s for an incredibly accomplished manager with an infinitely better track record, I can’t see why you’d rip it all up for what on paper is only a very modest improvement on what you already have. 

A 6th place finish followed by 4th a year later. Got Wednesday to within 90 minutes of the Premier League. I'd call that more than marginally more successful than Johnson who in two full seasons has managed 17th and 11th.

On 11/05/2018 at 13:24, spudski said:

And that's why LJ is being linked to other sides to manage.

The rest of the footballing world can see his potential, and have taken into account the reasons that led to our form after January.

You don't get linked to bigger clubs than us, and have people like Pep singing your praises and sending u21's down to train with us, if you are useless.

When talking to fans and others in the game at other clubs, they all sing praise about LJ ( maybe not Barnsley :laugh: ) and what nice football we play...yet many of our own fans are completely negative about him.

As you say fine margins...if it hadn't been for the amount of injuries, and the poor recruitment in January, things may have turned out a lot better than they ended.

Do you have a opinion on why we keep having these bad runs of form spud ? He admitted he over coached during last season and possible signs of it again ? Playing joe right back etc. Personally , I think he over thinks things at times and tries to be too clever. 

3 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

Do you have a opinion on why we keep having these bad runs of form spud ? He admitted he over coached during last season and possible signs of it again ? Playing joe right back etc. Personally , I think he over thinks things at times and tries to be too clever. 

This last one was a culmination of many things, that imo, weren't related to previous ones.

4 minutes ago, spudski said:

This last one was a culmination of many things, that imo, weren't related to previous ones.

You said it was "very simple" and down to just two things - injuries, and a weak squad - on May 4th, spud (on my excellent thread about staying at the top). Make yer mind up!

8 minutes ago, spudski said:

You should be a politician with that reply. It doesn’t stack up for me tbh . A proper explanation of your views would be nice when you have time. There’s lots right with the club but also some very worrying things going on. 

On 11/05/2018 at 13:24, spudski said:

And that's why LJ is being linked to other sides to manage.

The rest of the footballing world can see his potential, and have taken into account the reasons that led to our form after January.

You don't get linked to bigger clubs than us, and have people like Pep singing your praises and sending u21's down to train with us, if you are useless.

When talking to fans and others in the game at other clubs, they all sing praise about LJ ( maybe not Barnsley :laugh: ) and what nice football we play...yet many of our own fans are completely negative about him.

As you say fine margins...if it hadn't been for the amount of injuries, and the poor recruitment in January, things may have turned out a lot better than they ended.

Hi Spud....I’ve seen a few posts about Man City U21s training with us....apologies, this has totally passed me by, I must have been living on Mars but when and why did this happen? Surely training facilities and processes at Man City are good enough for them?

10 hours ago, Jack Dawe said:

You said it was "very simple" and down to just two things - injuries, and a weak squad - on May 4th, spud (on my excellent thread about staying at the top). Make yer mind up!

10 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Hi Spud....I’ve seen a few posts about Man City U21s training with us....apologies, this has totally passed me by, I must have been living on Mars but when and why did this happen? Surely training facilities and processes at Man City are good enough for them?

10 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

In short reply...like I said to JD before...injuries and squad not strong enough to cover those injuries long term. Which in turn led to players having to play with niggles, not 100% fit, illness, out of form etc.

If you wanted to take it further...the players we brought in during January didn't work out. ( we can blame that as much as we like, but none of us know the budgets available or reasons etc...either way, for whatever reasons, it didn't work out or help us, in fact it probably hindered us, as they were so poor when played ) That could be argued that it was either poor judgement in our recruitment or down to the players...I feel we will never know )

If budget was available....then I would seriously question our recruitment policy. ( which I already do...as knowing players have been recommended to City over the last few years, and been either ignored or dismissed, and those players have mainly gone on to be successes and other clubs. Watkins and Grimes amongst many )

Pep sent down a few u21's to train with us....that's all I know. Don't know the reasons why etc.

10 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

You should be a politician with that reply. It doesn’t stack up for me tbh . A proper explanation of your views would be nice when you have time. There’s lots right with the club but also some very worrying things going on. 

See above mate. Didn't have the time last night.

18 hours ago, Wanderingred said:

A 6th place finish followed by 4th a year later. Got Wednesday to within 90 minutes of the Premier League. I'd call that more than marginally more successful than Johnson who in two full seasons has managed 17th and 11th.

Fair point. I was going on points per game over their respective tenures - surprisingly close given Wednesday’s playoff placings. 

The thing that most people (understandably) don’t realise/believe is that we’ve actually been in playoff form for a lot of Johnson’s tenure. Those two horrendous runs have just absolutely overshadowed all the good that’s been done before and after them hence him having a similar points return to a manager that twice took Wednesday to the playoffs. 

Gimme an English manager/coach any day above a foreign one.... If the football is half decent.

At least the media interviews (cliché's apart) are listenable in plain English (L J is pretty good in that respect) ..

So fed up with the constant umming, ahhing, errrs, foreign accents and broken English in pre game/post game analysis nowadays.....  (it might not be 'pc' ) but, am I the only one annoyed by all that? ...Surely not. 

(football aside ...in everyday life don't get me started on 'customer service' phone lines... :phone:)

Archived