IGNORED

I earned the right to start a new LJ thread

5 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Are you surprised Dave ?

Yes, I am.  It’s not even a hard-nosed businessman’s sort of comment, it’s more like something that would be heard at Robbo’s local bowls club committee meeting. No offence Robbo.

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yes, I am.  It’s not even a hard-nosed businessman’s sort of comment, it’s more like something that would be heard at Robbo’s local bowls club committee meeting. No offence Robbo.

He wants to leave his name , a legacy , getting us into the Prem isn’t his no one priority 

Its his money and right to do , but I’m not surprised in any way

12 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

IMO, I have. I have been a die hard supporter of Lee to the point of me being branded as a happy clapper and delusional. I have had to justify my support for " Little Lee-the poison dwarf " for the best part of three seasons .

And here's the thing: We've ended up with a top half finish, not a moment of relegation trouble, the best finish in almost decade and the most glorious moment in as long when we beat Man U. At the death.

I get what BCFC are doing and am really grateful to SL and can only despise his critics.  I am  happy and clappy and completely supportive of this fine man.

However...... I cannot deny that I am now putting my support for Lee on notice. He is now an experienced Manager of three clubs , he is also shortly to be in the top four longest serving Managers in the Championship. He has a good squad, fair budget , fantastic owner, brilliant stadium, great academy and all the tools to succeed.

I understand a blip in form- shit happens. But it seems that it happens with Lee a bit too often and whilst I'm delighted to see us in the top half with a fantastic cup run- I'm still a bit hacked off at our collapse since Xmas.

My points is that even us optimists and so called 'happy clappers' are getting a bit sceptical . We really want Lee to succeed ( as much as many on here don't) but next season is the final chance imo.

If Lee is not on track within a reasonable time scale ( oct/nov) to take us up next season then , with great regret, I think it will be time for SL to end the Johnson Journey. He has been given every support, every tool and the fans have been flipping fantastic.

Time to deliver, Lee

Come and join us on the other side of the fence. It’s not (as many clappy’s would lead you to believe) “Full of LJ Haters” or those who “Delight in Failure”. Your viewpoint for the upcoming season is exactly the same as mine concerning the manager. As you can see, we are all fans who want the best for our club, some like to shut up shop after 23 games and a defeat of Man United and hail the season a complete success (as you almost did), but then there are those who see the second half of the season as not just a blip, but a worrying collapse that occurred the season before and whilst LJ was at Barnsley and Oldham. These persistent crashes cannot be overlooked. LJ said himself, “Judge me after 3 transfer windows”, well he’s had that and the season finished with a collapse in form. I would give him until the end of November, but agree with the happy clappy mob that he earned his stripes for another crack at a season having finished in a respectable 11th position comfortably avoiding relegation. However, the finish alone doesn’t tell the whole story. Nice to see fans coming closer together and not disrespecting the opposition viewpoint. Fair play.

41 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Didn’t the cigar smoking one go to Brislington after the curly haired one.  I left Brislington during the curly haired one’s time, and I think he financed it in the right way.  The club was still a club imho.  After I left, and soon after cigar man came in, the soul got ripped out imho.

The first season I was at Brislington we got zilch, and then after Xmas it was £10 win (and sometimes curry Source on our chips at an away game).  Even when we got promoted to the WL Prem it was still not much more and even then zilch for a defeat.

I think he did. You’re right. Then south down the M5. Taking players with him.

Wonder where he is now? The clubs he frequented are still there, long after the odour of his Havana’s have wafted away with him.

Bit like it’ll be in BS3 when we’re off to meet our makers....

7 hours ago, Jan Window said:

There is a free magazine called Business Leader South West edition.  SL is on the cover of the edition that arrived today.

BLSW:

What is your long-term ambition for Bristol Sport?

SL:

Good question because it's always evolving.  Primarily I think it's marketing and media related.  It's focusing on making sure the clubs that we are involved with make the best out of what they have.  Whether that's improving the brand, the commercial opportunities or their community infiltration.  If I was going to look back at it in five or ten years' time, I;d like to say that ensured more people participated in sport, more people supported in terms of coming to watch...

“Primarily....it’s marketing and media related....” - good grief....that’s the long term ambition.....

8 hours ago, Jan Window said:

There is a free magazine called Business Leader South West edition.  SL is on the cover of the edition that arrived today.

BLSW:

What is your long-term ambition for Bristol Sport?

SL:

Good question because it's always evolving.  Primarily I think it's marketing and media related.  It's focusing on making sure the clubs that we are involved with make the best out of what they have.  Whether that's improving the brand, the commercial opportunities or their community infiltration.  If I was going to look back at it in five or ten years' time, I;d like to say that ensured more people participated in sport, more people supported in terms of coming to watch...

Go and buy bloody Breitling or Burberry Steve ffs and let someone who wants to run a ******* football club, rather than a brand you can advertise in an airline magazine, a go.

20 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

IMO, I have. I have been a die hard supporter of Lee to the point of me being branded as a happy clapper and delusional. I have had to justify my support for " Little Lee-the poison dwarf " for the best part of three seasons .

And here's the thing: We've ended up with a top half finish, not a moment of relegation trouble, the best finish in almost decade and the most glorious moment in as long when we beat Man U. At the death.

I get what BCFC are doing and am really grateful to SL and can only despise his critics.  I am  happy and clappy and completely supportive of this fine man.

However...... I cannot deny that I am now putting my support for Lee on notice. He is now an experienced Manager of three clubs , he is also shortly to be in the top four longest serving Managers in the Championship. He has a good squad, fair budget , fantastic owner, brilliant stadium, great academy and all the tools to succeed.

I understand a blip in form- shit happens. But it seems that it happens with Lee a bit too often and whilst I'm delighted to see us in the top half with a fantastic cup run- I'm still a bit hacked off at our collapse since Xmas.

My points is that even us optimists and so called 'happy clappers' are getting a bit sceptical . We really want Lee to succeed ( as much as many on here don't) but next season is the final chance imo.

If Lee is not on track within a reasonable time scale ( oct/nov) to take us up next season then , with great regret, I think it will be time for SL to end the Johnson Journey. He has been given every support, every tool and the fans have been flipping fantastic.

Time to deliver, Lee

The shame is that it had taken this long for the penny to drop about Johnson. How the complete collapse of the team in terms of results, performance and team spirit can be described as a blip is remarkable. 

20 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Time to deliver, Lee

I agree with most of your post MRR but I have an issue with the highlighted point. The season is a long haul not a sprint, as a tested by Fulham, Middlesborough, and others who didn't look like they would make the top ten in November. It won't matter if we are top of the table in November because all we will hear from the anybody but Johnson brigade is, "When will the bad run start". Mind you Judging by the obsession with our post xmas form that some have, I suspect that we could finish the season strongly next year, only for them to say "ah yes, but look how rubbish we were at the start of the season". If achieving the best finish in a decade and the best cup run for 20 years doesn't get people on side then I doubt much will. 

16 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I agree with most of your post MRR but I have an issue with the highlighted point. The season is a long haul not a sprint, as a tested by Fulham, Middlesborough, and others who didn't look like they would make the top ten in November. It won't matter if we are top of the table in November because all we will hear from the anybody but Johnson brigade is, "When will the bad run start". Mind you Judging by the obsession with our post xmas form that some have, I suspect that we could finish the season strongly next year, only for them to say "ah yes, but look how rubbish we were at the start of the season". If achieving the best finish in a decade and the best cup run for 20 years doesn't get people on side then I doubt much will. 

I've got to ask. Have you been skipping out of the Gate delighted by our football ? Maybe living in some twilight world where we have won every game. Or are you just ignoring everything until we start winning again? 
How can we not obsess over abject form that has continued for 20 odd games (25 counting the cup), during which we have cobbled together 4 (that's four) wins(FIW Burton have managed 5 in their last 25). I think you'd find if the season was reversed, we would probably be saying great finish to the year but it's a shame about the start, happy in the knowledge we had found some form. As it is , all we can wonder is will we ever find the end of this slump. 
The highest finish thing is becoming tiresome (even if it is true) , if the points had been picked up more evenly during the season I would agree. Thing is we have averaged 1 point a game over half a season, how could that not worry you. If we start strongly again next year everyone will be happy, but obviously because of the last 2 years as soon as we start a poor run people will worry. How soon we come out of a bad run will tell whether LJ is under pressure IMO. We can not carry on with these boom or bust runs. I think what @Marina's Rolls Royce meant was, if we carry this recent run into the start of next year LJ will be under massive pressure for his job, and as SL has set his eyes on the prize it's hard to argue.

22 hours ago, Fuber said:

I'm just dreading what happens this summer.

If we lose Reid, Flint, Baker, Bryan, or Pack, or at least any 2-3 of the 5 of them. I think we're stuck up a creek without a paddle with our recruitment record the last two years.

And if we get rid before bringing anyone in - then god help us all. The one signing that will stick in my mind forever is when we sold Kodjia, panicked and bought Engvall. It took a loan signing to save us and we finally rectified the situation with Diedhiou. If it wasn't for LJ convincing Tammy to join us we'd of been League 1 bound last season.

Another example was getting rid of Freeman. We could of signed him on for another year, didn't, sold him for £300k, and ended up (with no disrespect intended) Eliasson who has played (starting) a total of 3 league matches.

It's things like that which make me question whether the squad is stronger than it was previously. Or whether the league this season is simply weaker.

freeman had to be got rid of he was a cotterell signing the same as all the other cotts signings are being gradually shown the door

12 minutes ago, RobintheRed Red said:

freeman had to be got rid of he was a cotterell signing the same as all the other cotts signings are being gradually shown the door

A bit overzealous but I can see the viewpoint. I think it was more to do with the fact LJ can't handle big characters or personalities.

People have said I'm anti LJ, and I am to a degree.

But you can't deny the football he had us playing.

It's just a shame about the football he's got us playing now...

1 minute ago, Fuber said:

A bit overzealous but I can see the viewpoint. I think it was more to do with the fact LJ can't handle big characters or personalities.

People have said I'm anti LJ, and I am to a degree.

But you can't deny the football he had us playing.

It's just a shame about the football he's got us playing now...

yes good footy start of season but the constant fallouts with different players in the dressing room soon put payed to that like father like son

1 minute ago, RobintheRed Red said:

yes good footy start of season but the constant fallouts with different players in the dressing room soon put payed to that like father like son

To a degree, probably. I'd still appropriate part of the blame to our recruitment.

But yeah, Johnson's man management skills are like my performance on a piano, out of tune, mistimed, and very poor. Bit like Mark Ashton's press statements really then.

Surprised I haven't been hit with a gagging order by him tbh.

Archived