IGNORED

Thank you Motty....

BS4 on Tour...

He didn't have the voice, the timbre, and theatricality of Coleman ("one nil!"), nor the intelligence, culture and maturity of Barry Davies ("you have to say that's magnificent"), but he knew how many corners Arsenal had successfully defended in the second half at Highfield Road in matches played under floodlights refereed by officials with mousy brown hair from Sussex and Northamptonshire. "The crazy gang have beaten the culture club" wasn't what Motty was good at; but he was certainly enthusiastic, a football nut. He just didn't have the voice for the big games, for me. Blackpool v Hull, yes; Ajax v Inter Milan? Not for me....

My lad - 12 now - on first hearing Motty on MOTD expressed an irritation at and a dislike of his voice. With no prompting from me! 

But he will be missed. Part of the furniture, and all that. 

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Thanks for this...you recently replied to a thread entitled ‘Your messages to the lads’ - I’m sure they all read that and really appreciated it....

And if you see my message in that thread it's very VERY serious...

I literally just commented the word "Win."

I was definitely expecting that to be forwarded on :facepalm:

2 minutes ago, Robin TBW said:

And if you see my message in that thread it's very VERY serious...

I literally just commented the word "Win."

I was definitely expecting that to be forwarded on :facepalm:

I was simply giving a public thank you to a guy who shaped my football experience from a very young age...didn’t ask for or need your sarcasm...or the pathetic face palm - you really didn’t need to reply to this thread...do you really think I expected John Motson to see it?!

14 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I was simply giving a public thank you to a guy who shaped my football experience from a very young age...didn’t ask for or need your sarcasm...or the pathetic face palm - you really didn’t need to reply to this thread...do you really think I expected John Motson to see it?!

Yes , are you implying that Santa and the Easter bunny don't exist (just don't go near the tooth fairy) 

1 hour ago, Leveller said:

Decent chap, very knowledgeable, but to me he had an irritating voice and adolescent manner, and doesn’t feature amongst the best commentators.

Can you survive in any job in any walk of life at the top level for over 50 years if you're not amongst the best?

The “England have done it!! I the last minute of extra time” moment was what really got me into football. All 89/90 season my dad had tried getting me into city/football but I wasn’t interested. I remember watching the Italia 90 group games and wanted England to win but wasn’t hat fussed! Then the Belgium game when platt scores me & my dad just went mental! He then took me to Watford home start of 90/91 season and the rest is history :laugh:

Thought he was pretty good- still going after all these years, longevity.

I also wonder if we expect more and different from commentators these days. Have BT sport so seen decent number of Big Match revisited (before my time but always interested to see).

Brian Moore's commentary was pretty basic by today's standards to take one example. I remember one episode where he did the presenting.

Who did the commentary (in the prior main game that was on Big Match)?

Why- Brian Moore!

Who did post match interviews?

Why- Brian Moore!

Who did analysis (was ok if fairly rudimentary)?

Why- Brian Moore!

Simpler times- Dare I say it, simpler or lesser expectations?

TBH Motty annoyed me a bit with his false little giggle and his awkward shoehorning of totally random facts into the commentary.

I know people who've worked with him however and what they all say is he is a consummate professional and a pleasure to work with.  Every bit as eccentric in real life as his on-screen persona would suggest.

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

TBH Motty annoyed me a bit with his false little giggle and his awkward shoehorning of totally random facts into the commentary.

I know people who've worked with him however and what they all say is he is a consummate professional and a pleasure to work with.  Every bit as eccentric in real life as his on-screen persona would suggest.

Brian Moore was the ' Daddy ' will always be the voice of football for me .

2 hours ago, Taunton_BCFC said:

The “England have done it!! I the last minute of extra time” moment was what really got me into football. All 89/90 season my dad had tried getting me into city/football but I wasn’t interested. I remember watching the Italia 90 group games and wanted England to win but wasn’t hat fussed! Then the Belgium game when platt scores me & my dad just went mental! He then took me to Watford home start of 90/91 season and the rest is history :laugh:

I was lucky enough to be there - Probably  my favourite moment following England

@GasDestroyer was there 

(  ‘Phone call for Chinner’ :laughcont: )

2 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I was lucky enough to be there - Probably  my favourite moment following England

@GasDestroyer was there 

(  ‘Phone call for Chinner’ :laughcont: )

Phone call for Chinner! He took a fancy to the whores in Genoa if I remember right? They did not fancy him though!!!! What a shithole Genoa was in those days.

I was there @Bob Bob Super Bob - the best moment for us watching England away IMO - what a night..

@weepywall was there also if memory serves me right? Big following from Bristol City old skool. I was going away with England quite a bit in those days. 

The spiks were nasty bast@rds driving around on mopeds stabbing people then scooting off - cowards. Rarely stood and fought. England were the no.1 firm though and were not to be messed with when equal numbers (the skill was making sure you were’nt on your own as the cowardly bast@rds would come at you when you were on your Tod) - all England fans came together at the World Cup - apart from the cockneys, there was next to no inter firm rivalry.

Remember a group from Knowle West on a major thieving trip in Italy. Did it regularly at England games. 

14 hours ago, GasDestroyer said:

Phone call for Chinner! He took a fancy to the whores in Genoa if I remember right? They did not fancy him though!!!! What a shithole Genoa was in those days.

I was there @Bob Bob Super Bob - the best moment for us watching England away IMO - what a night..

@weepywall was there also if memory serves me right? Big following from Bristol City old skool. I was going away with England quite a bit in those days. 

The spiks were nasty bast@rds driving around on mopeds stabbing people then scooting off - cowards. Rarely stood and fought. England were the no.1 firm though and were not to be messed with when equal numbers (the skill was making sure you were’nt on your own as the cowardly bast@rds would come at you when you were on your Tod) - all England fans came together at the World Cup - apart from the cockneys, there was next to no inter firm rivalry.

Remember a group from Knowle West on a major thieving trip in Italy. Did it regularly at England games. 

Ah , the good old days . 

:blink:

Archived