IGNORED

Frank Lampard strongly linked with the Ipswich job

Lanterne Rouge

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Dunno.  Just pleased he’s taking steps into management at a non-Prem club.

Out that Golden generation have fancied him to do well

Highly Intelligent (Very high IQ)  & fully understands game 

Wouldn’t be a shouter but calm and steady

Educated in game from a child via Dad etc

He Achieved through hard work more than bundles of natural ability so knows what it takes

Would command respect in dressing room -

You could hardly say ‘What did you achieve as a player ?’ Could you

6 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

If we had a vacancy would you take a punt on him Dave ?

I would

Lampard and Terry i suggested on another thread with Rio as well. 20 million for 1 season. 120 million prize. Looks like Ipswich are going for it though and not us.

7 hours ago, myol'man said:

About time some of our ex England players tried club management instead of the easy tv pundit money 

To be fair a few have been managers relatively recently....Shearer, Adams, G Neville, P Neville, Ince, Waddle, Butcher, Mark Wright, Shilton, Pearce, Platt, Paul Parker, Bryan Robson, John Barnes, Gazza, Keith Curle, Nigel Clough, Ian Wright, Southgate, Sheringham, Merson, David James, Robbie Fowler, Gerrard etc ....with varying degrees of success though!

14 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Lampard and Terry i suggested on another thread with Rio as well. 20 million for 1 season. 120 million prize. Looks like Ipswich are going for it though and not us.

Think Lampard will be happy going it alone , but will be interesting to see who he gets in alongside him when he takes a job

Like Gerrard I’d suggest he will get someone in with experience 

I’ve heard lots of discussions recently about young managers and to a man everyone says how vital it is to get an experienced head in to help you

I can’t see him doing it but bringing in  an experienced assistant would be a wise move

It might mean , in his own eyes losing a bit of face and could put DH & JMs noses out of joint and presents some obvious difficulties , but IMHO it would be a brave,  but very sensible call for Lee and could be the making of him in the long run 

3 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

To be fair a few have been managers relatively recently....Shearer, Adams, G Neville, P Neville, Ince, Waddle, Butcher, Mark Wright, Shilton, Pearce, Platt, Paul Parker, Bryan Robson, John Barnes, Gazza, Keith Curle, Nigel Clough, Ian Wright, Southgate, Sheringham, Merson, David James, Robbie Fowler, Gerrard etc ....with varying degrees of success though!

Spot on.

Rarely does a great player become a great manager because the two jobs are entirely different and only share some core knowledge of tactics and training methods.

The best managers are often those who have under achieved as a player because they still have the drive and passion; remember Steve Coppell saying he'd lost that passion?

So:

Clough: playing career ended early through injury

Ferguson: unspectacular career in the Scottish leagues

Wenger: average player at Strasbourg

I find the parachuting in of top players into top management jobs baffling unless they're going in as player manager and then you know you'll get some benefit from them even if they turn out to be a rubbish manager.

Giggs at Wales, Gerrard at Rangers and now possibly Lampard at Ipswich.  Stupid decisions all and each with a massive likelihood of failure.

4 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Spot on.

Rarely does a great player become a great manager because the two jobs are entirely different and only share some core knowledge of tactics and training methods.

The best managers are often those who have under achieved as a player because they still have the drive and passion; remember Steve Coppell saying he'd lost that passion?

So:

Clough: playing career ended early through injury

Ferguson: unspectacular career in the Scottish leagues

Wenger: average player at Strasbourg

I find the parachuting in of top players into top management jobs baffling unless they're going in as player manager and then you know you'll get some benefit from them even if they turn out to be a rubbish manager.

Giggs at Wales, Gerrard at Rangers and now possibly Lampard at Ipswich.  Stupid decisions all and each with a massive likelihood of failure.

While not such great managers, other interesting examples are Harry Bassett who was non-league almost all of his playing career, and AVB who seemed to go straight into coaching without any playing career.  Who knows, maybe I missed an opportunity ...

5 minutes ago, hodge said:

Interesting people say they'd be happy with lampard but say Johnson should be learning on the job elsewhere despite previous managerial experience. 

Agree to some extent, but there is a difference, they aren’t directly comparable.  I’m happy that if this story is true, he’s going in at a lower level than some might expect to.  Same with Gerrard....no easy task at Rangers!!

Both will command respect, initially, because of their playing career and leadership during those.  That respect will of course disappear if they’re bad at their new jobs.

I think there are different avenues for players these days.  In the good ole days the average player had two options, stay in football as coach / manager or run a pub (big generalisation).  Today, there’s the whole media circus where you can earn a good living, assuming you still need to / want to earn.

At the end of the day, a good player doesn’t equal a good manager, nor does an average player automatically mean they’ll be a good manager.

4 minutes ago, hodge said:

Interesting people say they'd be happy with lampard but say Johnson should be learning on the job elsewhere despite previous managerial experience. 

Lampard has a wealth of experience t a much higher level ,played for some of the best managers in theWorld

And would command instant respect on reputation and career alone

Not much different

Has Lampard been doing any coaching after retiring?  Gerrard at least coached Liverpool under 18s.  

It's laughable the lift up that media friendly ex players get in football.  Very few ever succeed unless they but the ground work in helping someone.  

49 minutes ago, red panda said:

While not such great managers, other interesting examples are Harry Bassett who was non-league almost all of his playing career, and AVB who seemed to go straight into coaching without any playing career.  Who knows, maybe I missed an opportunity ...

Lawrie McMenemy also stands out.  Absolutely great manager whose playing career was two seasons at non-league Gateshead.

I would be horrified if we had appointed any of Giggs, Gerard, or Lampard.

Though like many I was cheering when Tinnion was appointed because I had my rose coloured specs firmly on.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawrie_McMenemy

Also Gerard Houllier:

He was an enthusiastic footballer, but never threatened the professional ranks as a player. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gérard_Houllier

9 hours ago, havanatopia said:

Has Tinman85 hijacked your account Hav... ? :blink:

19 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Lawrie McMenemy also stands out.  Absolutely great manager whose playing career was two seasons at non-league Gateshead.

I would be horrified if we had appointed any of Giggs, Gerard, or Lampard.

Though like many I was cheering when Tinnion was appointed because I had my rose coloured specs firmly on.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawrie_McMenemy

Also Gerard Houllier:

He was an enthusiastic footballer, but never threatened the professional ranks as a player. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gérard_Houllier

And Mourinho. Also, love him or hate him, Colin never tore up any trees as a player. Neither did Graham Taylor.

24 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Nor Zidane, Dalglish, Carlos Alberto, Franz Beckenbauer :D

I agree with you all, just being facetious 

Dalglish was a figurehead at Liverpool to begin with.  Games were managed by the likes of Roy Evans and Ronnie Moran as he was playing.  He also took over at arguably one of the best clubs in the world at the time with an established way of doing things.  Similarly Zidane, Becknbauer and Guardiola knew the set up at their top level clubs and had all the support they needed. 

Lampard is allegedly going to Ipswich .... 

Archived