IGNORED

Frank Lampard strongly linked with the Ipswich job

Lanterne Rouge

1 minute ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Fair enough I think.....Mick has a tremendous managerial track record of success, Frank has zero....so what did he expect to earn straightaway?!

Not saying it was right or wrong, just the rumour I'd heard. 

On 24/05/2018 at 21:38, Sweeneys Penalties said:

The bookies say he's off to Derby. No one else is really in the frame

https://www.oddschecker.com/football/football-specials/derby/manager-1st-game-next-season

Apparently Derby requested the tickets for Frank and his Dad to go to Wembley for the play off final final today....that seems to suggest he is on his way there....

1 minute ago, DaveF said:

Evidently.

Ok. Please allow me to explain. 

When a club appoint a player or manager who is in the media’s eyes more famous/newsworthy than the club itself they go on to add that persons name to the club name, eg last season all we had was ‘John Terry’s Aston Villa’, they rarely just state the club name without the ‘famous’ person eg, ‘today Bristol City are playing Derby County’ becomes ‘Frank Lampards’s Derby County’.

Geddit now? You wait and see if I’m right.

1 minute ago, RedM said:

Ok. Please allow me to explain. 

When a club appoint a player or manager who is in the media’s eyes more famous/newsworthy than the club itself they go on to add that persons name to the club name, eg last season all we had was ‘John Terry’s Aston Villa’, they rarely just state the club name without the ‘famous’ person eg, ‘today Bristol City are playing Derby County’ becomes ‘Frank Lampards’s Derby County’.

Geddit now? You wait and see if I’m right.

I understand that, but that doesn’t explain what’s particularly wrong with the media doing that?

1 minute ago, DaveF said:

I understand that, but that doesn’t explain what’s particularly wrong with the media doing that?

I dont see there is a need, you might believe there is a need to be reminded who is manager when it is someone ‘famous’ and I don’t. 

We have different opinions, I have taken the time to explain my point and you don’t agree, it’s ok I’m cool with that. 

11 minutes ago, DaveF said:

It's irritating and just dumbs things down further - the club is the important thing not a transient 'famous' individual who the puerile media view as temporarily more newsworthy.

10 minutes ago, RedM said:

I dont see there is a need, you might believe there is a need to be reminded who is manager when it is someone ‘famous’ and I don’t. 

We have different opinions, I have taken the time to explain my point and you don’t agree, it’s ok I’m cool with that. 

It just seems like quite a trivial thing to get annoyed about is all :)

Given his footballing career, his temperament, his family background growing up around football, coaching and management (Lampard Snr, Harry Redknapp) and how he has analysed games real time when featured on Sky, he comes across as someone you would expect to go on to have a successful management career. Why he's taken his first job at a club potentially on a severe downward spiral starting as he arrives is totally beyond me and makes me wonder if he really is that astute. 

• Admin
29 minutes ago, 29AR said:

Given his footballing career, his temperament, his family background growing up around football, coaching and management (Lampard Snr, Harry Redknapp) and how he has analysed games real time when featured on Sky, he comes across as someone you would expect to go on to have a successful management career. Why he's taken his first job at a club potentially on a severe downward spiral starting as he arrives is totally beyond me and makes me wonder if he really is that astute. 

Interesting point @29AR , I just read the below, copied from the BBC Sport site.

Personally can only see him and Gerrard falling on their faces - but more so to do with having no managerial experience. But guess at least Stevie G did a stint with Liverpool kids?

. . . . . . . . . . . . .

First it was Steven Gerrard, now it's Frank Lampard.

The former England midfielders have both been given their first opportunities in management this month - Gerrard with Rangers and now Lampard with Derby County.

What does history tell us about how they might get on in the hot seat?

BBC Sport has looked into the managerial careers of the pair's former England team-mates and let's just say some went better than others...

Paul "Gazza" Gascoigne

It's fair to say Paul Gascoigne's playing career strongly outweighs his managerial prowess. Gazza is considered a bona fide legend for England, Tottenham, Rangers and Newcastle United.

However, when he was appointed manager of then-Conference North club Kettering Town in October 2005, he said he was "in it for the long haul", despite some [rather mean-spirited] bookmakers putting odds on him being sacked before Christmas.

Just 39 days later, Gazza was dismissed on 5 December.

The club's owner, Imraan Ladak said his manager was drinking too much, but Gascoigne hit back, accusing Ladak of interfering with team affairs.

"I have never been left alone to do my job as manager," said the former Lazio player at the time.

Gary Neville

The elder Neville brother Gary dipped his toes into management after retiring from playing with 602 Manchester United appearances on his CV.

We say "dipped" because his tenure at Valencia didn't last all that long - less than four months in fact.

He was appointed with limited managerial experience in 2016 and his side won just three of their 16 league games - 10 of 28 games overall.

Awkwardly, his brother Phil, who was then a part of the Valencia coaching team, kept his job.

Alan Shearer

Former England striker Alan Shearer will want to be remembered for his playing days rather than his managerial record.

Shearer scored 148 goals in 303 appearances for Newcastle and even has a statue outside St James' Park.

However, his record as Magpies manager was not as impressive. He was brought in as an interim boss to fill the shoes of Joe Kinnear, who was suffering with health problems at the time.

Shearer was given an eight week sabbatical from his role on Match of the Day to try to save his beloved club from relegation, but it was to no avail.

Shearer's eight games yielded only five points out of a possible 24 [one win, two draws, five losses]. Not the stat he wants on his otherwise glittering Newcastle record.

Paul Ince

At last, we can bring you have a former England player-turned-manager who picked up some silverware.

Former midfielder Paul Ince, who won two Premier League titles with Manchester United, went into coaching in 2006 starting with a stint at Swindon Town as a player-coach, followed by Macclesfield Town, who he saved from relegation.

He was given his first full-time manager job at Milton Keynes Dons in 2007 and took them all the way to the top of League Two.

In the same season, Ince led the team to Wembley, winning the Football League Trophy by beating Grimsby Town 2-0.

He then had less successful stints at Blackburn, Notts County and Blackpool - all with win percentages of less than 40%.

Tony Adams

Considered by Arsenal fans as one of the club's greatest ever captains, Tony Adams seemed to be a perfect candidate for a post-retirement career in football management.

He has had spells in charge of Wycombe Wanderers, Portsmouth, Azerbaijani side Gabala and struggling La Liga side Granada CF, where videos of his training techniques have amused the masses.

His record at Granada perhaps wasn't one to shout about - seven defeats in seven games. Ouch.

Phil Neville

Despite having a prolific playing career, winning six Premier League titles with Manchester United, Phil Neville had little managerial experience when he was put in charge of the England women's national side in January.

He met controversy early on in his tenure following comments on social media, with one tweet suggesting women would be too "busy making breakfast/getting kids ready" to read his messages.

He has overseen five games so far - winning two and drawing two - and has plenty of time to prove his doubters wrong, with his current contract running until the end of the 2021 European Championships.

Gareth Southgate

Perhaps his most infamous England moment, [and apologies for bringing it up again, Gareth] was having a soft penalty saved at Euro 96 during a shootout, sending England's rivals Germany through to the final.

However, 20 years later, after spells at Middlesbrough and England's youth sides, the former defender inherited the most prestigious job in English football: the boss of the men's senior national team.

His record so far? Six wins, four draws and two losses. Not terrible. His biggest test, however, is just on the horizon - the 2018 World Cup in Russia.

56 minutes ago, phantom said:

Interesting point @29AR , I just read the below, copied from the BBC Sport site.

Personally can only see him and Gerrard falling on their faces - but more so to do with having no managerial experience. But guess at least Stevie G did a stint with Liverpool kids?

. . . . . . . . . . . . .

First it was Steven Gerrard, now it's Frank Lampard.

The former England midfielders have both been given their first opportunities in management this month - Gerrard with Rangers and now Lampard with Derby County.

What does history tell us about how they might get on in the hot seat?

BBC Sport has looked into the managerial careers of the pair's former England team-mates and let's just say some went better than others...

Paul "Gazza" Gascoigne

It's fair to say Paul Gascoigne's playing career strongly outweighs his managerial prowess. Gazza is considered a bona fide legend for England, Tottenham, Rangers and Newcastle United.

However, when he was appointed manager of then-Conference North club Kettering Town in October 2005, he said he was "in it for the long haul", despite some [rather mean-spirited] bookmakers putting odds on him being sacked before Christmas.

Just 39 days later, Gazza was dismissed on 5 December.

The club's owner, Imraan Ladak said his manager was drinking too much, but Gascoigne hit back, accusing Ladak of interfering with team affairs.

"I have never been left alone to do my job as manager," said the former Lazio player at the time.

Gary Neville

The elder Neville brother Gary dipped his toes into management after retiring from playing with 602 Manchester United appearances on his CV.

We say "dipped" because his tenure at Valencia didn't last all that long - less than four months in fact.

He was appointed with limited managerial experience in 2016 and his side won just three of their 16 league games - 10 of 28 games overall.

Awkwardly, his brother Phil, who was then a part of the Valencia coaching team, kept his job.

Alan Shearer

Former England striker Alan Shearer will want to be remembered for his playing days rather than his managerial record.

Shearer scored 148 goals in 303 appearances for Newcastle and even has a statue outside St James' Park.

However, his record as Magpies manager was not as impressive. He was brought in as an interim boss to fill the shoes of Joe Kinnear, who was suffering with health problems at the time.

Shearer was given an eight week sabbatical from his role on Match of the Day to try to save his beloved club from relegation, but it was to no avail.

Shearer's eight games yielded only five points out of a possible 24 [one win, two draws, five losses]. Not the stat he wants on his otherwise glittering Newcastle record.

Paul Ince

At last, we can bring you have a former England player-turned-manager who picked up some silverware.

Former midfielder Paul Ince, who won two Premier League titles with Manchester United, went into coaching in 2006 starting with a stint at Swindon Town as a player-coach, followed by Macclesfield Town, who he saved from relegation.

He was given his first full-time manager job at Milton Keynes Dons in 2007 and took them all the way to the top of League Two.

In the same season, Ince led the team to Wembley, winning the Football League Trophy by beating Grimsby Town 2-0.

He then had less successful stints at Blackburn, Notts County and Blackpool - all with win percentages of less than 40%.

Tony Adams

Considered by Arsenal fans as one of the club's greatest ever captains, Tony Adams seemed to be a perfect candidate for a post-retirement career in football management.

He has had spells in charge of Wycombe Wanderers, Portsmouth, Azerbaijani side Gabala and struggling La Liga side Granada CF, where videos of his training techniques have amused the masses.

His record at Granada perhaps wasn't one to shout about - seven defeats in seven games. Ouch.

Phil Neville

Despite having a prolific playing career, winning six Premier League titles with Manchester United, Phil Neville had little managerial experience when he was put in charge of the England women's national side in January.

He met controversy early on in his tenure following comments on social media, with one tweet suggesting women would be too "busy making breakfast/getting kids ready" to read his messages.

He has overseen five games so far - winning two and drawing two - and has plenty of time to prove his doubters wrong, with his current contract running until the end of the 2021 European Championships.

Gareth Southgate

Perhaps his most infamous England moment, [and apologies for bringing it up again, Gareth] was having a soft penalty saved at Euro 96 during a shootout, sending England's rivals Germany through to the final.

However, 20 years later, after spells at Middlesbrough and England's youth sides, the former defender inherited the most prestigious job in English football: the boss of the men's senior national team.

His record so far? Six wins, four draws and two losses. Not terrible. His biggest test, however, is just on the horizon - the 2018 World Cup in Russia.

The problem is how you start as a manager defines you. It's like with Gary Neville where he took one job in unfavourable circumstances and is now tarred with the brush of a failure and clubs would now avoid taking a punt on him. On the other hand, Roy Keane had a great first season and then kept a reputation for managerial acumen for far longer than he probably should have done.

I think Lampard will lose his job midseason with the club outside of the promotion places simply because, as a general rule, that's what tends to happen to Derby managers. Gerrard is harder to call. I think he'll keep Rangers competing with Aberdeen for second in the SPL but never get close to challenging Celtic. But I'd think the same if pretty much anyone got the job as, with their current resources and club management, anything better sounds hard to attain. 

Brilliant that he’s got the opportunity and really hope it works for him other than against us. He’s incredibly astute and I can see him going the way of Hoddle all the way to the top (minus the ‘interesting’ beliefs!) 

2 hours ago, 29AR said:

Agree

Think he has massive potential but a brave / strange choice for first job

5 minutes ago, bengalcub said:

Can’t understand why owners /chairmen keep giving  jobs to names ? 

Gerrard would never had played in the spl 

and lampard never contemplated the championship

Both took the money and ran to America 

I say earn your corn first.

What difference does it make?

8 minutes ago, bengalcub said:

and lampard never contemplated the championship , 

Frank had a loan spell with Swansea when they were in the third tier so can't say he has zero experience of lower league football....

As a philosopher, however, I too wonder why he never contemplated the Championship.

Archived