IGNORED

Champions League Final

2 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

Ronaldo's overhead kick was the best goal ever a few weeks ago.

Its all modern hyperbole and means nothing.

Ive always thought that Trevor Sinclair's overhead kick for QPR ( FA Cup match IIRC) takes some beating - edge of the penalty area job.

2 hours ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

He needs a proper goalkeeper, I cannot remember the last Ray Clemencesque keeper that Liverpool have had, all of them since have been able to pull off the amazing save here and there and throw the ball into their net or drop the ball etc.far too often....

I agree, I thought they really missed a trick with Brad Friedel...he was only given around thirty games whilst at Liverpool as he couldn’t get past David James and Sander Westerveld I think it was....so he left and went on to prove what a solid reliable keeper he could be...for Blackburn (15 clean sheets in one of his prem league seasons there) Villa and Spurs...

6 hours ago, Malago said:

:laugh:

Liverpool had a dream run to the final and were totally outclassed by a Madrid side that never got out of 3rd gear.  Serouisly how many of Liverpool team will Madrid be queuing up to sign this summer.  As for Klopp, that's six cup final defeats in a row which means he's either very unlucky or a serial loser.  The goal keeping situation has been an accident waiting to happen and is entirely the managers fault for falling to address it.

As for Ramos , World Cup winner, European championship winner and Champions league winner.  Best defender and captain of his generation and you were stupid enough to bet against him.   A fool and his money.

opinion is opinion, and the wise after the event sofa is a very comfortable place to sit

My after the event comments are there were three turning points; Salah leaving the Pitch, Bale's wonder goal, and Karius. I'm bored of the "we wuz robbed" comments on social media this morning from Liverpool fans who have entirely forgotten that Liverpool employed one of the biggest hatchet men in history (Tommy Smith) and one of the biggest divers on the planet (Louis Suarez).

They're arguably England's most successful club side but still fun when they get beat in games of this magnitude.   As with them and Chelsea, would want any opposition team to beat them in a European Final, although others such as Manchester United and Tottenham (if it were to occur) would feel somewhat indifferent to it.   I don't mind them so much as the others.

Maybe this year wasn't a great final so to speak and Bales' goal apart, not a game that may live long in the memory, but seeing Liverpool beat in the final of Europe's biggest club competition would probably equate to seeing Bristol Rovers suffer a relegation or losing domestic cup final to your own fans.   Am I being too harsh ?  Not really, I don't like Liverpool and to all intents and purposes last night's result was entirely satisfactory. 

3 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I wouldn't say so. If they'd just had someone with pace like Ox to play wide instead of Salah, then I think that would have made all the difference, The defence and midfield all had solid games, as did Mane. Just lacked anyone else up top, as Firminho was awful and Lallana can't take players on now it seems.

So are we saying that Lallana proved why he wasn’t included in the World Cup squad last night? Certainly he had zero effect on the game and the tide turned when he came on? 

Can we also deduce that Liverpool have a weak squad depth, if they have no one with pace to replace any of those front 3? Basically without Salah & Mane, their game plan is shot. Their only attacking option on the bench was Solanke - and he is far from proven 

34 minutes ago, Harry said:

So are we saying that Lallana proved why he wasn’t included in the World Cup squad last night? Certainly he had zero effect on the game and the tide turned when he came on? 

Can we also deduce that Liverpool have a weak squad depth, if they have no one with pace to replace any of those front 3? Basically without Salah & Mane, their game plan is shot. Their only attacking option on the bench was Solanke - and he is far from proven 

No.  Lallana had played 15 minutes in the last 8 weeks and expecting him to come into that game after 25 minutes and have an effect was pushing it to say the very least.  The ironic thing is that if he was in the England squad it would benefit him greatly in his recovery. He wouldn't have to play anywhere near that level until the Belgium game in 4 weeks.  Southgate didn't pick him because if he had he would have been going against his clear policy of picking in -form players.  Lallana had no form, good, bad or mediocre.  

I can't think of a bigger challenge any player has had as a sub for years.  

"okay Adam, you're half fit and completely out of practice.  Go on there, in the biggest game you've ever been involved in,  out of position against the best team in the world and replicate one of the best players in the world" 

No surprise the game shifted.  Madrid became less cautious.  Before they didn't want to commit forward because they were scared of being caught on the break.  That fear went and at the same time Liverpool's bubble burst somewhat.  They did well to get to half time level.  

3 people won that game for Madrid.  Ramos for nobbling Salah, Karius and Bale.

3 hours ago, Harry said:

Agree totally about squad depth.  Lallana is really an option in midfield. They need more up top, though Solanke will probably become more and more commonplace in their starting line up. Woodman has potential but it is just that.  Ings is not up to that level.  He could do a job at somewhere like Burnley ironically.

16 minutes ago, hodge said:

Jermaine Pennant proving he's a classless ****. How can you include YNWA and say 'apart from the GK'

He has always been a bellend. Yes Karius isnt good enough but the abuse he is getting is disgusting. Everything that is wrong with social media.

Abuse Karius is getting is not on at all.

Bloke was in tears and will be in absolute tatters, if it was me I wouldn't be right for months, even years. Henderson had it right in his post match interview, 'we win as a team, we lose as a team'.

Reality is that Karius had been growing in to the role for a few months, I've paid attention to him. He made a freak error that could've happened to anyone, and dropped a howler because making a mistake of that magnitude in the CL final was still playing on his mind I imagine.

Would Liverpool have even got to the CL final without Karius this season? Debatable, especially with Mignolet and Danny Ward as backup.

11 hours ago, hodge said:

Jermaine Pennant proving he's a classless ****. How can you include YNWA and say 'apart from the GK'

An interesting choice of photos; Gerrards covering of his eyes says all u need to know about that childish remark from Pennant. 

12 hours ago, Super said:

See Karius has received death threats. What is it with people these days?

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/uefa-champions-league/merseyside-police-investigating-death-threats-made-to-liverpool-goalkeeper-loris-karius-following-champions-league-final/ar-AAxSuNu?MSCC=1527492920&ocid=spartandhp 

WTF ?  …  obscene social media comments & threats … :punish:

12 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44274355

Looks like reasonably good news for Salah in that he could well make the World Cup. I really hope he does, he deserves it after the season he`s had.

You doubt whether he will be at his best if he does sadly

As Mark Little found out running with any discomfort in the shoulder area is a real issue and for someone like Salah whose pace and acceleration a massive part , a big problem I’d suggest 

4 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

As Mark Little found out running with any discomfort in the shoulder area is a real issue and for someone like Salah whose pace and acceleration a massive part , a big problem I’d suggest 

I thought that but he`ll surely move heaven and earth to be there. They play Uruguay in their first game so they will no doubt try and whack him too.

6 hours ago, Chris_Brown said:

Seeing that Karius has received death threats. That is absolutely disgraceful. I am ******* delighted they didn't win it with behaviour like that.

Those death threats represent probably 0.01% of their fan base. Would you be happy to be tarred with same brush if a tiny minority of City fans did something similarly pathetic? Every club has a minority of idiots, including us.

6 hours ago, Chris_Brown said:

Seeing that Karius has received death threats. That is absolutely disgraceful. I am ******* delighted they didn't win it with behaviour like that.

Didnt Lee Johnson receive some?

2 hours ago, Super said:

Didnt Lee Johnson receive some?

From some of the posts on here in the last 6 months I thought he still was.

7 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

At least Salah didn't dislocate his shoulder.  I found the Mark Little thing strange.  Rugby players pop their shoulders all the time and their shoulders are integral to their sport. They seem to recover fine.  Something else was at play with Mark Little.  

Just read this on the BBC website.

An Egyptian lawyer has filed a 1bn euros lawsuit against Sergio Ramos for the challenge which injured Mohamed Salah in the Champions League final. (Evening Standard)

That's the way to do it! :)

...and this one 

Manchester City goalkeeper Joe Hart, 31, has switched agents after being left out of England's World Cup squad. (Mail)

So it's Joe Hart's agent that is to blame for his poor form over the last couple of seasons!

Having suffered a damaged (strained, not dislocated) shoulder myself playing sport, with the best treatment in the world he’ll be very lucky to get back playing football in 6 months frankly. Didn’t feel confident with mine for at least a year and wouldn’t question  Mark Little’s recuperation period one bit.

If Salah does get back for the World Cup one might start to question how serious it was and whether he was just protecting himself for the World Cup fixtures. 

Archived