IGNORED

Have we seen the best of Joe Bryan in a city shirt?

reddogkev

Has he truly played for City in his best position for a prolonged period of time?

Why didn't we just use him as a left midfielder, with the onus to push in to the centre as often as possible?  Sure he'll go this summer, but did we ever see him at his best?

I've watched his goal against Man Utd several times again this morning, and I fear we wasted him by playing him at left back as often as we did.

Expect him to have a top future in the game.

A decent player on his day but (tin hat time) thinks he’s better than he is IMO and ‘his days’ are few and far between  

Small sums to a premier league team I suppose but for me it’s a gamble - he hasn’t shown anywhere near the consistency required to excel at a better standard.

Do we really think as a fan base we see more insightfully than multiple managers about where a player should be played? 

Cotts saw him as a left back too, albeit an attacking one. Both wrong? 

If it weren’t for a couple of wonder long range strikes, I don’t think anyone would see him as a natural winger/wide mid. 

33 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Has he truly played for City in his best position for a prolonged period of time?

Why didn't we just use him as a left midfielder, with the onus to push in to the centre as often as possible?  Sure he'll go this summer, but did we ever see him at his best?

I've watched his goal against Man Utd several times again this morning, and I fear we wasted him by playing him at left back as often as we did.

Wouldn't be the first time this club has not used a player to get the best out of them and it won't be the last. There are so many quality players we've let go because our managers have not used them in a way that they could thrive.

14 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

A decent player on his day but (tin hat time) thinks he’s better than he is IMO and ‘his days’ are few and far between  

Small sums to a premier league team I suppose but for me it’s a gamble - he hasn’t shown anywhere near the consistency required to excel at a better standard.

Do we really think as a fan base we see more insightfully than multiple managers about where a player should be played? 

If it weren’t for a couple of wonder long range strikes, I don’t think anyone would see him as a natural winger/wide mid. 

I've got that impression too.. seems slightly petulant at times - during games and even on social media with those occasional sarcastic posts about criticism he receives.

RE: the sarcastic posts - I know he's just a young man and is allowed to feel emotion.. but I just don't see the point in him doing it. Doesn't really benefit anyone.

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I've got that impression too.. seems slightly petulant at times - during games and even on social media with those occasional sarcastic posts about criticism he receives.

RE: the sarcastic posts - I know he's just a young man and is allowed to feel emotion.. but I just don't see the point in him doing it. Doesn't really benefit anyone.

Very much so, seems to enjoy saying ‘I told you so’ when he does well and going silent when he’s been poor. Big question marks about his attitude/application for me and of our ‘better’ players, the one I’d be least worried about moving on. 

Reid and Flint would be the bigger losses IMO. 

Need to cash in, a lot of views on here clouded by the fact he’s an academy product. Poor second half to the season, Kelly now a better defender and many better options going forward. Overrated. Won’t make it in the Prem as positional play is poor and has lapses of concentration.

6 minutes ago, Ser Davos Ciderworth said:

Need to cash in, a lot of views on here clouded by the fact he’s an academy product. Poor second half to the season, Kelly now a better defender and many better options going forward. Overrated. Won’t make it in the Prem as positional play is poor and has lapses of concentration.

Is he one of our own? 

12 minutes ago, Ser Davos Ciderworth said:

I argue that playing with better players will improve his game .

He is intelligent and athletic. He has the potential to go to the very top . ( not the Big Top at the Mem ) 

If there was any a player who needs to move on it’s JB, overall he’s been excellent for us but his inconsistency shows that perhaps his mind/heart hasn’t been on the job this last 12 months, I will prefer to remember the good times that he has given us, the Rovers, Swindon & Man U goals in particular, I’ve got no hard feelings towards him and would certainly get applause off of me should he ever play against us in the future 

1 hour ago, reddogkev said:

It really depends what you want in a team ethic. Are your full backs defenders or full backs who play the full length of the pitch? The two are polar opposites in many teams. 

Space on a football pitch is frequently in front of the full backs. that is modern football. So having players who can exploit that space via technical ability creates greater tactical flexibility for the team. 

If City played something like 4-2-3-1 and its variants the full back playing the length of the pitch can spend more time in advanced positions and push inside creating overloads. 

However it is more about intent than formations and positions.

Post January the zippy game to feet was purposely moved away from by Lee Johnson. Joe Bryan is a very skilled player. I would question if Bristol City is a worthy platform for players who really want to play to feet if that is the future. 

11 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

It really depends what you want in a team ethic. Are your full backs defenders or full backs who play the full length of the pitch? The two are polar opposites in many teams. 

Space on a football pitch is frequently in front of the full backs. that is modern football. So having players who can exploit that space via technical ability creates greater tactical flexibility for the team. 

If City played something like 4-2-3-1 and its variants the full back playing the length of the pitch can spend more time in advanced positions and push inside creating overloads. 

However it is more about intent than formations and positions.

Post January the zippy game to feet was purposely moved away from by Lee Johnson. Joe Bryan is a very skilled player. I would question if Bristol City is a worthy platform for players who really want to play to feet if that is the future. 

I’ve seen this posted a few times and can’t see what it’s based on other than bringing our most expensive player of all time back into the squad when fit - which seems like a no brainer. 

Do you honestly believe one day he just completely changed his mind about everything he wanted the team to do and instructed everyone to play in a completely different style?

Putting to one side Cardiff away where we clearly set up to play a very different game,  I can’t see that this is the case. I think we’ve always tried to be a team who plays attractive football (not to say that we always succeed) 

I think as time went on the result became more and more important than the performance and so elements of our approach changed in order to try and be more defensively solid (ha) but I don’t think we suddenly just decided to rip up everything and do something completely different. 

1 hour ago, Spike said:

Wouldn't be the first time this club has not used a player to get the best out of them and it won't be the last. There are so many quality players we've let go because our managers have not used them in a way that they could thrive.

Such as who? Bolasie was a possible, but when playing for us looked 1/2 the player Albert did.

There’s not many players that used to play for us that are playing at a higher level.

1 hour ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I think he is a good as he thinks he is.

Unfortunately, I also think that having hit the heights in the early part of the season, Joe felt he had cracked it and could coast along in the second half of the season, as Im certain that he knew then that he would likely be moving out and up come the end of the season.

If he does move to the prem he will have to much himself to be as good against much better players and I reckon we will see him then at his best - assuming he's played as a left wing back. 

4 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I’ve seen this posted a few times and can’t see what it’s based on other than bringing our most expensive player of all time back into the squad when fit - which seems like a no brainer. 

Do you honestly believe one day he just completely changed his mind about everything he wanted the team to do and instructed everyone to play in a completely different style?

Putting to one side Cardiff away where we clearly set up to play a very different game,  I can’t see that this is the case. I think we’ve always tried to be a team who plays attractive football (not to say that we always succeed) 

I think as time went on the result became more and more important than the performance and so elements of our approach changed in order to try and be more defensively solid (ha) but I don’t think we suddenly just decided to rip up everything and do something completely different. 

He went away from Reid up front on his own to play Fammy/Djuric which was obviously going to turn into long ball football (especially with Djuric)

5 minutes ago, grifty said:

Such as who? Bolasie was a possible, but when playing for us looked 1/2 the player Albert did.

There’s not many players that used to play for us that are playing at a higher level.

Yeah it's a bit of a myth. Bolasie is the only recent one who's gone on to play a a hugely better standard. Heaton is another one, but we all knew he was better than us.

There's a few you probably wouldn't count like Adomah because we knew he was a good player and outgrew us.

I suppose you could argue that on average Skuse has had a better career since leaving us.. but not dramatically.

I don't think Ayling counts based on Leeds' league positions.

I think in recent years Bolasie is the only genuine one.

1 minute ago, Super said:

He went away from Reid up front on his own to play Fammy/Djuric which was obviously going to turn into long ball football (especially with Djuric)

I don’t think changing one player constitutes ripping up your entire philosophy and starting from scratch. Reid was still there to feed off of the quick football and Fam was there as an outlet for when that wasn’t an option.

It gave us the option of that outball and maybe that was part of the problem. Not all of our players are equally intelligent and a few of them panic into the wrong decision.

3 minutes ago, downendcity said:

I think he is a good as he thinks he is.

Unfortunately, I also think that having hit the heights in the early part of the season, Joe felt he had cracked it and could coast along in the second half of the season, as Im certain that he knew then that he would likely be moving out and up come the end of the season.

If he does move to the prem he will have to much himself to be as good against much better players and I reckon we will see him then at his best - assuming he's played as a left wing back. 

Agree regarding his application second half of the season. True for a few who let the good half a season go to their head. You’d think we’d have learned from Swindon that nothing was achieved in November. 

I think he’s one who inevitably needs a move away if he’s to fulfil his potential. Far too cosy here. 

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Yeah it's a bit of a myth. Bolasie is the only recent one who's gone on to play a a hugely better standard. Heaton is another one, but we all knew he was better than us.

There's a few you probably wouldn't count like Adomah because we knew he was a good player and outgrew us.

I suppose you could argue that on average Skuse has had a better career since leaving us.. but not dramatically.

I don't think Ayling counts based on Leeds' league positions.

I think in recent years Bolasie is the only genuine one.

We also havnt really used them in the incorrect positions, especially Heaton, even we didn’t stick him at left back!

It's so frustrating seeing him at left back, especially as our actuall left back was sold to Preston.

Joe is a natural athlete, he's got all the attributes needed to play further forward, it's beyond belief that he's not had a prolonged stint in midfield.

We could have had a very strong, dynamic left side had Cunnngham not been sold, IF he does stay then a left side of Kelly, Bryan would be very athletic and quick on the counter, if (when) JB does depart this summer then we could see a left side of O'dowda and Kelly, exciting yet lacking in experience.

Stay, or go, whatever the outcome I wish him all the best.

11 minutes ago, grifty said:

One that stands out for me is Greg Cunningham,  but that was more a casualty of us playing with wing backs where Greg's strength is as a full back, imagine having Greg at LB this season with Bryan LM. 

2 minutes ago, hodge said:

One that stands out for me is Greg Cunningham,  but that was more a casualty of us playing with wing backs where Greg's strength is as a full back, imagine having Greg at LB this season with Bryan LM. 

As you say that was more circumstantial. Simple fact was there was someone better in the one position he could play. 

LWB is JBs perfect position IMO. He’s not good enough defensively to be a top left back and he’s not consistent enough offensively to be a top winger/wide man. 

Wing back is ideally suited to his skill set IMO as it brings out the best of his abilities. 

Archived