IGNORED

Jack Marriott signs for Derby (Merged)

Charlie BCFC

28 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Derby have also bid £8m for Waghorn. This is picking up pace on social media, so it seems they’re in for both - Confirmed by Nixon.

It’s easy all this business..

Absolute joke of a fee, I bet Ipswich are pissing themselves.

34 minutes ago, BessexRED said:

Millwall finished above us, Leeds, Wednesday etc - reckon they're a step above us do you?

2 minutes ago, BessexRED said:

By your horrendous logic, we're a step up from Leeds and Wednesday just because of table position. Millwall get sub 10k home fans most weeks, we get crowds they could only dream of, our crowds to Wednesday are much closer than Millwall to ours.

There's a much bigger picture than just a table position from the previous season.

No....look at your posts ...you insinuated that teams that finished above us aren’t a step up....and to support that you listed Millwall, Leeds and Wednesday - yet two of those clubs didn’t finish above us....but they are very established championship clubs compared to Bristol City, with much bigger crowds and I believe would be seen as a step up from Bristol City...blimey, this started with a post I made about PNE and now we are debating Yorkshire’s finest....

16 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Never played lower than the premier league and championship in this country - very experienced, a fair fee for a very good player...

A good player yes that’s about it from what I’ve seen of him, personally don’t think he’s all that, definitely not worth an £8m price tag.

2 minutes ago, BCFC11 said:

A good player yes that’s about it from what I’ve seen of him, personally don’t think he’s all that, definitely not worth an £8m price tag.

So a very experienced premier league/championship player isn’t worth £8m - yet Bobby Reid is worth £10m - did you call that fee ‘a joke’ given his ‘one good season’ record?

8 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

So a very experienced premier league/championship player isn’t worth £8m - yet Bobby Reid is worth £10m - did you call that fee ‘a joke’ given his ‘one good season’ record?

Don’t seem to recall me saying Bobby was worth £10m tbh. He played in the SPL so yes he has played below championship level, i don’t rate him but it’s only my opinion mate no need to get your knickers in a twist.

8 minutes ago, YorkshireSection said:

It didn't really help that we played him out of position. 

Im not sure it was so much that we played him out of position.

At Swansea they built a team around him and it looked like he was allowed to do his own thing and demonstrate his flair.

Gary Johnson's team, was a team and not built around any one player and Trundle had to play with a degree more discipline. This gave far less scope for him to turn it on, as he had done at Swansea.

5 hours ago, BCFC11 said:

Don’t seem to recall me saying Bobby was worth £10m tbh. He played in the SPL so yes he has played below championship level, i don’t rate him but it’s only my opinion mate no need to get your knickers in a twist.

I said Waghorn hadn’t played below premier league/championship level “in this country”- so your “SPL” comment is irrelevant. And by “SPL” I assume you meant the Scottish Premiership because there isn’t anything called the “SPL.”

I didn’t say you had said Bobby Reid was worth £10m - you called Waghorn’s £8m price tag “a joke” so I asked you whether you thought Bobby’s price tag was “a joke” given that he had been sold for £10m, having only had one good season, whereas Waghorn, a very experienced premier league/championship player, is seemingly being valued at £2m less and you thought that fee was “a joke.” You didn’t answer that - but “no need to get your knickers in a twist...”

8 hours ago, Lew-T said:

Just had a look at Derby’s squad and it is massive, you’d expect a few will be on the way out if Marriot and Waghorn both go through...

Goalkeepers - Scott Carson, Jon Mitchell & Kelle Roos

Defenders - Richard Keogh, Curtis Davies, Alex Pearce, Craig Forsyth, Andre Wisdom, Max Lowe, Jamie Hanson, Jayden Bogle & Marcus Olsson.

Midfielders - Tom Huddlestone, Craig Bryson, Mason Mount, Bradley Johnson, Jacob Butterfield, George Thorne, Joe Ledley, Timi Elsnik, Callum Guy, Harry Wilson, Tom Lawrence, Mason Bennett, Luke Thomas, Ikechi Anya, Nick Blackman, Kyle McAllistair & Kellan Gordon.

Strikers - Chris Martin, Matej Vydra, Cameron Jerome, David Nugent, Charles Vernam & Offrande Zanzala

Nugent to Sheff Utd has been mooted

8 hours ago, Lew-T said:

Should piss the league. Stoke and Derby for me.

I'd say that about Derby's squad every year though and yet they often don't make the play offs. Don't see how this year, with a rookie manager and a couple of (very talented but) inexperienced loans, it's likely to be any different 

9 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Waghorn has never played well in the prem has he? Has he had any more than one good season at championship level?

His stats certainly don’t show that he has.  It’s a crazy crazy world if Martyn Waghorn is now worth £8m in today’s market! 

9 hours ago, Lew-T said:

Just had a look at Derby’s squad and it is massive, you’d expect a few will be on the way out if Marriot and Waghorn both go through...

Defenders - Richard Keogh, Curtis Davies, Alex Pearce, Craig Forsyth, Andre Wisdom, Max Lowe, Jamie Hanson, Jayden Bogle & Marcus Olsson.

Midfielders - Tom Huddlestone, Craig Bryson, Mason Mount, Bradley Johnson, Jacob Butterfield, George Thorne, Joe Ledley, Timi Elsnik, Callum Guy, Harry Wilson, Tom Lawrence, Mason Bennett, Luke Thomas, Ikechi Anya, Nick Blackman, Kyle McAllistair & Kellan Gordon.

Strikers - Chris Martin, Matej Vydra, Cameron Jerome, David Nugent, Charles Vernam & Offrande Zanzala

#BringKelleHome

9 hours ago, Lew-T said:

Massive squad and splashing the cash. 

It will give me great satisfaction if it all goes wrong for them!

1 minute ago, swanker said:

Massive squad and splashing the cash. 

It will give me great satisfaction if it all goes wrong for them!

Many on that list will be leaving.

Derby have to cut their wage bill substantially over the next couple of seasons.

Lampard was aware of this when he got the job.

1 hour ago, lenred said:

His stats certainly don’t show that he has.  It’s a crazy crazy world if Martyn Waghorn is now worth £8m in today’s market! 

Be wary of what stats you are basing it on len ;) 

He , for example was involved in more goals (Scoring or assisting) than any other player in Championship last season

Hes not a prolific scorer but a decent / (at times ‘clever’) footballer who links well , holds it up well

I think he’s improved , I was impressed by him at AG last season although Ipswich were poor and thought he looked like he’d pushed his game up a notch

2 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Be wary of what stats you are basing it on len ;) 

He , for example was involved in more goals (Scoring or assisting) than any other player in Championship last season

Hes not a prolific scorer but a decent / (at times ‘clever’) footballer who links well , holds it up well

I think he’s improved , I was impressed by him at AG last season although Ipswich were poor and thought he looked like he’d pushed his game up a notch

Fair points there Bob, especially the one regards being most involved. Can’t say I was aware of that one at all. Definitely not saying we shouldn’t be interested as like you say there’s certainly more to his game than just goals, and he always strikes me as a player that likes to be involved / doesn’t go missing / gets stuck in when needed as well. However I stand by my point that £8m still seems crazy money for him given his age and from what I have seen of him. I was a little surprised when £5m was quoted but on balance  I think we would’ve been right to go for it at that price and he’d undoubtedly be a very good addition. But £8m just seems crazy. Maybe I really am just struggling to adapt to the new prices in the Championship! 

31 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

He’s got a roughly one goal every three games record over an 11 year career

Didn’t he also top the championship in goals and assists combined last season or am I being thick?

Worth 8m? No In today’s market? Well yea as bids that high are being made. Ipswich in a new era and will use the funds(some of them) across the squad trying to get younger. No brainer for them but may backfire and may finally be the season they exit the championship. 

1 hour ago, lenred said:

Fair points there Bob, especially the one regards being most involved. Can’t say I was aware of that one at all. Definitely not saying we shouldn’t be interested as like you say there’s certainly more to his game than just goals, and he always strikes me as a player that likes to be involved / doesn’t go missing / gets stuck in when needed as well. However I stand by my point that £8m still seems crazy money for him given his age and from what I have seen of him. I was a little surprised when £5m was quoted but on balance  I think we would’ve been right to go for it at that price and he’d undoubtedly be a very good addition. But £8m just seems crazy. Maybe I really am just struggling to adapt to the new prices in the Championship! 

I’m with you and I wouldn’t pay anywhere near that money for him mate

Just think he’s better than he’s generally perceived 

3 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I’m with you and I wouldn’t pay anywhere near that money for him mate

Just think he’s better than he’s generally perceived 

I think anything below 4m would be about right.. 6.5m though a little too high.

Think whoever gets him will get a good player though.

If the choice was spend 1.5m on Eisa and then have 4m to spend on a quality keeper or centre midfielder I'd rather do that than go all out on Marriott.

11 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think anything below 4m would be about right.. 6.5m though a little too high.

Think whoever gets him will get a good player though.

If the choice was spend 1.5m on Eisa and then have 4m to spend on a quality keeper or centre midfielder I'd rather do that than go all out on Marriott.

Agree - I didn’t think we were ever in for him were we ? And this just a hypothetical discussion ?

I think if we didn’t have the numbers up front he’d do us ok , but not what we needed right now (IMHO)

9 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Agree - I didn’t think we were ever in for him were we ? And this just a hypothetical discussion ?

I think if we didn’t have the numbers up front he’d do us ok , but not what we needed right now (IMHO)

I think based on what we know from the media - we were interested a few weeks ago, but didn't match their asking price and probably got irritated with Fry and MacAnthony pretty quickly.

21 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Im sure we were in for Marriott, but not at Posh's original asking price. 

Perhaps Frankie's injury changed our focus, and, as you say, we could spend the money more effectively by going for Eisa, leaving spare cash for a new keeper.

Will be interesting to see it of Eisa or Marriott settles into championship football the best. 

7 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think based on what we know from the media - we were interested a few weeks ago, but didn't match their asking price and probably got irritated with Fry and MacAnthony pretty quickly.

Sorry , PF crossed wires

I meant Waghorn 

I didn’t pick up the start of the concpversation about him

I take it a general discussion rather than we were allegedly interested ?

FWIW I wouldn’t pay 8million , or more for Waghorn or the money they appeared to want for Marriot although he has potential

Ive kept an eye on Marriot and knew nothing about Eisa but my feeling is that , especially bearing in mind fees we’ve gone for the right one here

On the clips (only) I’ve seen of Eisa he appears that he could offer what Marriot does , and more, and I like the sounds of his attitude too

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Plus MacAnthony said Marriott's head was turned by the wages Derby were offering.

Derby's cost cutting doesn't seem to have lasted long. :whistle:

Archived