IGNORED

Jack Marriott signs for Derby (Merged)

Charlie BCFC

1 minute ago, Monkeh said:

Like preston nice club well run and decent fans, but no disrespect to them, we are better payers 

Agreed, but your money goes so much further in Ribbleton, if you bother to read the thread properly.

9 minutes ago, ... said:

What happens in Ribbleton?

It sounds delightful - I am picturing a small stream, ducklings, and tea rooms.

.......... just going to have a quick look on Rightmove as I don't want to miss out.

Think high crime rates, boarded up shops/houses everywhere and street after street of narrow, terraced houses.

Think I read in the paper up there once that it's one of the most deprived places in the UK! 

9 hours ago, BessexRED said:

A step down... try telling Bailey Wright and Josh Brownhill that. Bigger club, better wages, nicer city.... no contest.

I agree but for balance you can argue that Cunningham and The Gashead Bodin moved from Bristol to Preston. I don’t think for one minute either of these footballers lived in Preston mind you. From what I’ve seen and heard about Preston ( been 3 times to the ground and have a friend who is a Preson fan) it’s quite run down, lack of amenities and shops either don’t have branches there or are closing down. Quite a poor place to live and needs regeneration, has attracted a lot of social housing people pushed out from other areas. The people are great though, very friendly just been dealt a bad hand lately. 

As for Daniel Johnson, always thought he had a great games against us. Mentioned to my friend that I would take him a year or so ago and she was surprised and said I could have him. She was a bit meh about him and he seems often out injured, but when he does have a blinder ( often against us) he was great to watch.

1 minute ago, RedM said:

I agree but for balance you can argue that Cunningham and The Gashead Bodin moved from Bristol to Preston. I don’t think for one minute either of these footballers lived in Preston mind you. From what I’ve seen and heard about Preston ( been 3 times to the ground and have a friend who is a Preson fan) it’s quite run down, lack of amenities and shops either don’t have branches there or are closing down. Quite a poor place to live and needs regeneration, has attracted a lot of social housing people pushed out from other areas. The people are great though, very friendly just been dealt a bad hand lately. 

As for Daniel Johnson, always thought he had a great games against us. Mentioned to my friend that I would take him a year or so ago and she was surprised and said I could have him. She was a bit meh about him and he seems often out injured, but when he does have a blinder ( often against us) he was great to watch.

Good points, well made.

BUT we can't all live in Georgian Town Houses can we??

No-one has a absolute right to a Waitrose within walking distance.

(I never knew until this thread how snooty Bristolians could be - real eye opener).

21 minutes ago, ... said:

Good points, well made.

BUT we can't all live in Georgian Town Houses can we??

No-one has a absolute right to a Waitrose within walking distance.

(I never knew until this thread how snooty Bristolians could be - real eye opener).

Appreciate the statement you're trying to make.

Unfortunately, large parts of Preston have been neglected over the years, so some of the areas have very high crime rates. Of course, some areas are also incredibly lovely - although most of which you need to drive quite far out of the city centre/away from the uni campus.

I tried to find an article that supported my comments re Ribbleton: 

http://www.lancashire.gov.uk/lancashire-insight/deprivation/deprivation-overview/

"Lancashire's most deprived areas are in urban centres of towns in East Lancashire, Preston and Blackpool"

"The IMD draws attention to some very severe deprivation issues in various urban centres in Lancashire that are among the most deprived areas in England. The county has a large number of small areas in the 10% most derived localities in England. "

https://www.lep.co.uk/news/preston-s-most-deprived-areas-revealed-1-7516114

"It reveals that parts of Ribbleton are among the two per cent most deprived communities in England, while leafy Greyfriars features among the most affluent. The index of multiple deprivation, which takes into account income, employment, education skills and training, health deprivation and disability, crime and living environment, shows the 86 individual neighbourhoods in Preston and their ranking in terms of deprivation, compared with a total of 32,844 areas in England.

Read more at: https://www.lep.co.uk/news/preston-s-most-deprived-areas-revealed-1-7516114"

Apologies if you were offended, my personal preference is Bristol for a variety of reasons, but like I said. I'm biased.

16 minutes ago, Bryans Left Peg said:

Appreciate the statement you're trying to make.

Unfortunately, large parts of Preston have been neglected over the years, so some of the areas have very high crime rates. Of course, some areas are also incredibly lovely - although most of which you need to drive quite far out of the city centre/away from the uni campus.

I tried to find an article that supported my comments re Ribbleton: 

http://www.lancashire.gov.uk/lancashire-insight/deprivation/deprivation-overview/

"Lancashire's most deprived areas are in urban centres of towns in East Lancashire, Preston and Blackpool"

"The IMD draws attention to some very severe deprivation issues in various urban centres in Lancashire that are among the most deprived areas in England. The county has a large number of small areas in the 10% most derived localities in England. "

https://www.lep.co.uk/news/preston-s-most-deprived-areas-revealed-1-7516114

"It reveals that parts of Ribbleton are among the two per cent most deprived communities in England, while leafy Greyfriars features among the most affluent. The index of multiple deprivation, which takes into account income, employment, education skills and training, health deprivation and disability, crime and living environment, shows the 86 individual neighbourhoods in Preston and their ranking in terms of deprivation, compared with a total of 32,844 areas in England.

Read more at: https://www.lep.co.uk/news/preston-s-most-deprived-areas-revealed-1-7516114"

Apologies if you were offended, my personal preference is Bristol for a variety of reasons, but like I said. I'm biased.

I don't think that applys to just preston, the north in general is neglected, infact anything over 80 miles away from london is neglected, 

Nothing wrong with Knowle West - unfortunately has more dicks per square mile than some other parts of Bristol but mostly decent people and gradually improving facilities.

Big City fan base too so thumbs up for that !!

53 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

I don't think that applys to just preston, the north in general is neglected, infact anything over 80 miles away from london is neglected, 

Very harsh. 

Of late, I spend a fair bit of time in Manchester and tend to stay in a place called Worsley, very nice it is too, a bit like Stoke Bishop.

Manchester is pretty good, not that I would swap Bristol to live there.

14 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Very harsh. 

Of late, I spend a fair bit of time in Manchester and tend to stay in a place called Worsley, very nice it is too, a bit like Stoke Bishop.

Manchester is pretty good, not that I would swap Bristol to live there.

not saying they aren't nice, I'm saying they are neglected,

any infrastructure improvements are made to increase journey times to london and not for the good of the north, 

Winters coming

2 hours ago, RedM said:

The area around the stadium isn’t the greatest nowadays and parts of the city are quite run down but it doesn’t matter as a footballer as you just don’t need to live there.

A lot of the players live in the Ribble Valley or in Lytham which have some beautiful areas. Quite a few live on Buckshaw Village as well, one of the decent new estates near Chorley.

There’s loads of other factors when choosing a club and it might not matter really when we’re finishing above a lot of club from nicer areas season after season. Ultimately the main thing is just pay and we don’t pay that well in Championship terms.

20 minutes ago, pnefcok said:

The area around the stadium isn’t the greatest nowadays and parts of the city are quite run down but it doesn’t matter as a footballer as you just don’t need to live there.

A lot of the players live in the Ribble Valley or in Lytham which have some beautiful areas. Quite a few live on Buckshaw Village as well, one of the decent new estates near Chorley.

There’s loads of other factors when choosing a club and it might not matter really when we’re finishing above a lot of club from nicer areas season after season. Ultimately the main thing is just pay and we don’t pay that well in Championship terms.

What was the game like V West Ham? Macguire fit? If so I think he’ll score a bucket load this season. I watched him a fair bit at West Ham Youth as well as in Ireland. Recommend him to City many times back then but zero Interest. 

39 minutes ago, pnefcok said:

At last, thanks.  Players don’t live 100 yards from the ground, they can afford to live wherever they want within reason.  Lytham is very nice.

I really don’t get the mentality that says "why would he go there, Town X is a shithole”.

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

At last, thanks.  Players don’t live 100 yards from the ground, they can afford to live wherever they want within reason.  Lytham is very nice.

I really don’t get the mentality that says "why would he go there, Town X is a shithole”.

I recall Dame Edna Everage saying on Pebble Mill at One many years ago that what she loves about Birmingham is that it is superbly located as you can hop on a plane and head in any direction and be somewhere nice within an hour.

1 hour ago, Monkeh said:

not saying they aren't nice, I'm saying they are neglected,

any infrastructure improvements are made to increase journey times to london and not for the good of the north, 

Winters coming

The new tram system in Manc land shits all over our metrobus (which doesn't fit! :grr: ).

Their infrastructure is far better than ours although it's a much bigger place.

As for the 'winter' bit, that's one of the reasons I couldn't live up there, too bloody cold! :colder:

1 hour ago, redcherryberry said:

What was the game like V West Ham? Macguire fit? If so I think he’ll score a bucket load this season. I watched him a fair bit at West Ham Youth as well as in Ireland. Recommend him to City many times back then but zero Interest. 

Confident Maguire will get 15-20 this season. Joined us during the League of Ireland season last summer so never really had a break. Trying to sign Kieffer Moore to complement him with some physical presence as well.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Correct. One thing I will say about our location is that it’s very helpful in terms of proximity to big Premier League clubs. Obviously it’s not that helpful in terms of attracting new supporters but in terms of recruitment young Prem players will come here on loan or permanent as it’s close to home. Ledson for example have moved back home to Liverpool since signing from Oxford, ex-Everton. Pearson, Harrop etc. probably just commute in from Cheshire.

10 minutes ago, pnefcok said:

Confident Maguire will get 15-20 this season. Joined us during the League of Ireland season last summer so never really had a break. Trying to sign Kieffer Moore to complement him with some physical presence as well.

Correct. One thing I will say about our location is that it’s very helpful in terms of proximity to big Premier League clubs. Obviously it’s not that helpful in terms of attracting new supporters but in terms of recruitment young Prem players will come here on loan or permanent as it’s close to home. Ledson for example have moved back home to Liverpool since signing from Oxford, ex-Everton. Pearson, Harrop etc. probably just commute in from Cheshire.

Moore caused us a lot of problems at Oakwell last season. Would be a good signing for you.

4 hours ago, pnefcok said:

my mum lives in lytham and ive never seen anyone under 75 there. 

7 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Stoke and Middlesbrough being the main cases in point.

17 hours ago, Northern Red said:

Stoke and Middlesbrough being the main cases in point.

Cannot understand Stoke. How does anywhere get that bad?

P.S. Mods? Are you happy for us to carry on, or do you want us to start a separate 'kick shit out of the North thread'??

Archived