IGNORED

Jack Marriott signs for Derby (Merged)

Charlie BCFC

1 hour ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

But Eisa is a proven scorer too. In senior football Marriott has scored 66 goals from 176 appearances, whereas Eisa has scored 91 from 146 appearances. Peterborough obviously missed a trick by not signing Eisa instead of Marriott. 

The difference being Marriott is good enough to start for us and Eisa is nowhere near ready. 

This summer we seem a lot more interested in signings for the here and now, thank goodness, and Marriott fits that bill. Eisa would be a "one for the future" signing and we've had quite enough of those for the time being.  

1 minute ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

The difference being Marriott is good enough to start for us and Eisa is nowhere near ready. 

This summer we seem a lot more interested in signings for the here and now, thank goodness, and Marriott fits that bill. Eisa would be a "one for the future" signing and we've had quite enough of those for the time being.  

I respect your opinion but you never know how good a player is until he has played at a level, in this case the Championship. Despite McAnthony thinking Marriott is the second coming he is not guaranteed to score regularly in the Championship. Roy Keane certainly didn’t rate Marriott while at Ipswich. 

7 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

He’d be one for the future but in a way O’Dowda and Brownhill were. With his price there would be no pressure to play him all the time. O’Dowda a prime example of this. Came from L2 and came off the bench most of the season with some starts. A total of 36 appearances. That would probably suit Eisa perfectly as he probably would not come in a take starting spots from Famara or Weimann just yet. Though he could make an impact off the bench

9 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

He’d be one for the future but in a way O’Dowda and Brownhill were. With his price there would be no pressure to play him all the time. O’Dowda a prime example of this. Came from L2 and came off the bench most of the season with some starts. A total of 36 appearances. That would probably suit Eisa perfectly as he probably would not come in a take starting spots from Famara or Weimann just yet. Though he could make an impact off the bench

There seems to be this attitude on here that because Engvall was a dud and we're having to wait for Eliasson and others like Taylor Moore to be ready that we should forget young players altogether which is ridiculous. 

Marriott would be nice but he's incredibly expensive, Eisa at 20/25% of the price with potential to improve seems a gamble we can afford to take with 4 senior strikers already here.

2 hours ago, downendcity said:

We could do what Wolves did recently - "buy" Kodjia from Villa to settle what they owe us and immediately sell him on to whoever wants him to recoup our money.

Having said that, as others have commented Villa probably need ready cash, so would rather sell elsewhere to bring in finds as they can worry about what they us at a later date.

Likes it.

Shameful :disapointed2se:

30 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Personally I'm not convinced he's ready for even the bench, Joe. I'd be surprised if we have any interest in him at all - all just forum talk as far as I can tell. Would be happy to be wrong, though, as the lad's undoubtedly got an eye for goal.  

38 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I respect your opinion but you never know how good a player is until he has played at a level, in this case the Championship. Despite McAnthony thinking Marriott is the second coming he is not guaranteed to score regularly in the Championship. Roy Keane certainly didn’t rate Marriott while at Ipswich. 

I think Marriott's come on a bit since his Ipswich days, Royston!

But on your general point, I agree you never do know - which makes taking a punt on a L2 player even more of a gamble than one who's done it in L1!

55 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

There seems to be this attitude on here that because Engvall was a dud and we're having to wait for Eliasson and others like Taylor Moore to be ready that we should forget young players altogether which is ridiculous. 

Marriott would be nice but he's incredibly expensive, Eisa at 20/25% of the price with potential to improve seems a gamble we can afford to take with 4 senior strikers already here.

i don't think its that, i think its the one for the future bit, we've spent vast amounts of money over 4 transfer windows signing ones for the future people want players who will make an impact now, 

anyway why can't we sign both?

38 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

I think Marriott's come on a bit since his Ipswich days, Royston!

But on your general point, I agree you never do know - which makes taking a punt on a L2 player even more of a gamble than one who's done it in L1!

I don't necessarily disagree but it all comes down to how much of Lansdown’s money we are prepared to gamble. £6-6.5M for Marriott or around £1-1.5M for Eisa. OTIB was almost in meltdown over the money wasted on Engvall. This forum will probably self destruct if Marriott failed at the price we would have to pay. 

17 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

i don't think its that, i think its the one for the future bit, we've spent vast amounts of money over 4 transfer windows signing ones for the future people want players who will make an impact now, 

anyway why can't we sign both?

Well yeah exactly, that's what I think we should do.

I've seen a few comments saying 'I've had enough ones for the future' though, which is a different thing.

I'm all for a bit of balance - but I hope people are patient with any young players we do buy. Reid should be evidence enough to give players time to develop.

15 minutes ago, John Galley said:

Interesting that Peterborough have bid £500,000 for Bradford City striker . Does that mean that Marriott is on his way to another club?

Obviously hedging their bets but seeing as almost half the clubs in the championship are broke or under a transfer embargo then leaves us as one of the more likely options I would say. If we bid say 4m and are holding our nerve then could well see Marriott down here soon

15 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I don't necessarily disagree but it all comes down to how much of Lansdown’s money we are prepared to gamble. £6-6.5M for Marriott or around £1-1.5M for Eisa. OTIB was almost in meltdown over the money wasted on Engvall. This forum will probably self destruct if Marriott failed at the price we would have to pay. 

Lansdown’s money? Upfront we’ve received a total of £18mil ish from Magnússon, Flint & Bobby. Whilst bringing in Webster, Watkins and Weimann for £7-8mil.

We certainly have the money there to spend from profits rather than from Lansdown himself.

7 hours ago, John Galley said:

Interesting that Peterborough have bid £500,000 for Bradford City striker . Does that mean that Marriott is on his way to another club?

Of course he’s going to another club it’s been all over the papers and social media in the past couple of months. It where he’s going the we’re unsure of. Should happen sometime in the next week or so. 

35 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Johnson said we have 5. Think he means Diedhiou, Taylor, Weimann, Paterson and Taylor. Paterson will be playing the Bobby role, so is basically a forward this season. 

I know I thought that was strange when he said that. It’s possible but too early in pre-season to know if that’s true. I’d still class Paterson as a midfielder personally.

Marriott and Taylor are reasonably similar stylistically so it would make more sense to let him go than Djuric if we had to get rid of one.

13 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I see Marriott as more of an out and out striker. I'd say Taylor is more the Bobby role, as Paterson is. Just going on highlights of Marriott and team sheets where he is the furthest forward, not sure if he can do the deeper role or not. Weimann can do both roles I think. I'm personally a big Taylor fan, but I get the keeping Djuric argument. Just prefer what Taylor brings. Either way we will have 6 competing for 2 positions if we bring in another. 

A lot of it depends on our formation - I think Taylor would be at his best far forward as a poacher personally very similar to Marriott.

Weimann would be the one who can play that Reid role or out wide. Will be interesting to see how we line up.

Lee has always been seen to admire Taylor, his comments about him being difficult to play against likening him to an annoying wasp. I can’t see him being shipped out. Also, like Duric, Taylor hasn’t been fully fit since joining and has had an op, so like Duric we should be seeing the best of them now. I’m not sure with that in mind I would want either to leave, but then I don’t know how Marriott is compared to either of them quality wise. Do we gamble millions on an unproven player or stick to players we know and have got back to fitness? 

33 minutes ago, RedM said:

Lee has always been seen to admire Taylor, his comments about him being difficult to play against likening him to an annoying wasp. I can’t see him being shipped out. Also, like Duric, Taylor hasn’t been fully fit since joining and has had an op, so like Duric we should be seeing the best of them now. I’m not sure with that in mind I would want either to leave, but then I don’t know how Marriott is compared to either of them quality wise. Do we gamble millions on an unproven player or stick to players we know and have got back to fitness? 

The latter please. 

:yes:

9 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

The latter please. 

Yep which is why I wouldn’t mind Eisa. Would be no pressure to play him loads. 6m is a lot for a L1 player whether a fair ask or not. That would be our record fee and he’d be expected to play and perform. Eisa for 2m(top range I reckon) comes with a lot leas pressure and expectation. 

4 hours ago, Bristol_Bolt said:

Lansdown’s money? Upfront we’ve received a total of £18mil ish from Magnússon, Flint & Bobby. Whilst bringing in Webster, Watkins and Weimann for £7-8mil.

We certainly have the money there to spend from profits rather than from Lansdown himself.

you seem to forget the 100 million he's invested in the club and the near 13 million a season (16/17 aside where it was 3 m loss) he injects to cover the loses, I'd say it's lansdowns money alright, and we haven't made a profit since 1998 I think, 

People were in meltdown over us spending 1.4 million on engvall and him becoming a flop, 300k less hardly seems like a major difference for eisa... 

Personally I'd leave marriott now, 6 million is way too much and it would teach Peterborough a lesson on not messing around over a transfer. I'd look at a loan from the premier league really, it'll be cheaper and if it works we'll reap the rewards

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

The latter please. 

To paraphrase McAnthony's comments about us and Marriott, what the Major wants the Major doesn't always get. :)

2 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

A lot of it depends on our formation - I think Taylor would be at his best far forward as a poacher personally very similar to Marriott.

Weimann would be the one who can play that Reid role or out wide. Will be interesting to see how we line up.

Reason Weimann joined was to play down the middle as he doesn't like playing out wide where he was at Derby

13 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

People were in meltdown over us spending 1.4 million on engvall and him becoming a flop, 300k less hardly seems like a major difference for eisa... 

Personally I'd leave marriott now, 6 million is way too much and it would teach Peterborough a lesson on not messing around over a transfer. I'd look at a loan from the premier league really, it'll be cheaper and if it works we'll reap the rewards

Unfortunately it won't teach Peterborough anything, in fact it may do the opposite as there are a few clubs after him, someone will pay the inflated price.

9 hours ago, Bristol_Bolt said:

That’s one way of looking at it. Of course the other is the club has been running at a loss for years has built a vastly new stadium and owns land in Ashton Vale and current training facilities. 

However I suspect LJ can buy who he wants within reason

my point is the club is trying to create a self sustaining entity, that means running costs will need to be paid for out of sale profits one day. Even SL won’t be around for ever

Archived