IGNORED

Jack Marriott signs for Derby (Merged)

Charlie BCFC

28 minutes ago, Cider red said:

We've gone for Weiman instead imo; much better value for money. Peterborough won't have our pants down on this one.

Not sure about that. Stylistically they're quite different. Weimann seems more like a direct replacement for Reid in style. Marriott is a very different player - closer to a Maynard/Pitman type.

I think we probably are after one additional forward really, a fox in the box type, but it's not a priority now we've got Weimann and lots of attacking wide players who could fill in.

1 hour ago, chipdawg said:

The way Daragh MacAnthony conducts business is so grubby. Can't argue they don't get good money for their players, but if I were Johnson/Ashton/Lansdown, I'd be loathe to do any business with him if I could help it

Agreed. Certain clubs I groan at when I hear we are trying to do business with, he’s certainly up there with Scally etc.

16 minutes ago, Johnr1986 said:

I would rather we offer villa 6 mill for Kodjia and see where it’s goes they still owe us money on the original deal which we could write off as part of it, at least we know he can perform at this level, Marriott just seem a massive gamble for the fee being quoted. 

I can tell you now where offering £6m for Kodjia would go... Absolutely nowhere!

13 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Not sure about that. Stylistically they're quite different. Weimann seems more like a direct replacement for Reid in style. Marriott is a very different player - closer to a Maynard/Pitman type.

I think we probably are after one additional forward really, a fox in the box type, but it's not a priority now we've got Weimann and lots of attacking wide players who could fill in.

You could argue that Matty Taylor fits that description. We haven’t seen him have a fully fit season, so perhaps LJ has him in his plans this year.

40 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Think it’ll be fee related rather than player not wanting to come. If that was known then we’d just be on to someone else regardless of fee. 

Sounds to me like DM saying we’ll get him if we pay more. Probably confirms we are still after him/another striker though even post Weimann. 

I should have worded it better.

My opinion is that we won't be able to offer him the wages that other clubs will. We will however be able to match Peterboroughs valuation, be it sooner or later,  but that will be irrelevant, if as I said before we won't be able to meet his wage demands.

6 minutes ago, DaveF said:

I can tell you now where offering £6m for Kodjia would go... Absolutely nowhere!

Depends on how much they still owe us,  6mill plus the 4-5 mill from the original deal = 10-11mill and add the fact Villa are desperate for the cash ! 

A small - and in my experience a pretty decent local club - holding out for the best price is not 'whoring'. Peterborough are just doing what their fans would expect and we would (or should) do when the big boys try and poach one of your best players.

I've also met Barry Fry on a few occasions - he used to live in my street and we used the same local Chinese restaurant. He's larger than life and undoubtedly a barrow boy, usually attempting to negotiate a discount (yes even for Chinese) with a large roll of grubby banknotes. He's also open, chatty, polite and respectful to people like me who want to continually butt in and talk footy.      

6 minutes ago, Johnr1986 said:

Depends on how much they still owe us,  6mill plus the 4-5 mill from the original deal = 10-11mill and add the fact Villa are desperate for the cash ! 

But why would he actually want to return to us? In his head we were a small club which he used as a stepping stone to move to a big club who would give him a better chance of making it to the PL. I doubt his opinion of us has changed that much in the last two years, despite our steady progress.

16 minutes ago, Bristol_South_End said:

But why would he actually want to return to us? In his head we were a small club which he used as a stepping stone to move to a big club who would give him a better chance of making it to the PL. I doubt his opinion of us has changed that much in the last two years, despite our steady progress.

Isn't he 29? So it would seem a move that would be right for him. 

38 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

You could argue that Matty Taylor fits that description. We haven’t seen him have a fully fit season, so perhaps LJ has him in his plans this year.

Yes you could, I think that if we were to bring in Marriott it was fairly likely that Taylor would leave. I agree, it'll be interesting to see how Taylor gets on if given a run of starts and if he's fully fit.

50 minutes ago, Bedred31 said:

A small - and in my experience a pretty decent local club - holding out for the best price is not 'whoring'. Peterborough are just doing what their fans would expect and we would (or should) do when the big boys try and poach one of your best players.

I've also met Barry Fry on a few occasions - he used to live in my street and we used the same local Chinese restaurant. He's larger than life and undoubtedly a barrow boy, usually attempting to negotiate a discount (yes even for Chinese) with a large roll of grubby banknotes. He's also open, chatty, polite and respectful to people like me who want to continually butt in and talk footy.      

I’ve got no problem with clubs trying to realise value from their players, I would only hope that we would do the same. But whereas sending out a firm ‘no’ across social media is just about acceptable, more to appease fans I guess, conducting the rest of your business isn’t. Especially when it sinks to childish taunting of other teams and people connected with them. *

*Disclaimer, the Gas are fair game though. :laugh:

47 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

indeed is city pay the 8 million that they want for him then they've paid 6 million too much

It would depend on whether we or any of the other clubs in for him believe he can deliver the goals to push for promotion. If he helped us to premier league £6.5M would be a bargain. If he can't  adjust to a higher league then he'd be an expensive white elephant. As Dirty Harry once said "do you feel lucky?"

Just now, numbeast said:

It would depend on whether we or any of the other clubs in for him believe he can deliver the goals to push for promotion. If he helped us to premier league £6.5M would be a bargain. If he can adjust to a higher league then he'd be an expensive white elephant. As Dirty Harry once said "do you feel lucky?"

indeed, but you could of got a proven striker for 6 million, he just isn't worth breaking the bank for imo 

2 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

indeed, but you could of got a proven striker for 6 million, he just isn't worth breaking the bank for imo 

Other than what I've read I don't really know a lot about the lad. But when you think about things we sold Bobby for £10M after one good season and entering his last year on his contract. Given that I'd say Marriott was worth around the £4 or 5M mark.

If we are only looking at British players then we'll pay a premium. The lad from Cheltenham would be a gamble, although cheaper the step up is bigger. Fine if we're looking for "one for the future". Personally I'd be looking at 2nd tier European clubs or decent eastern European sides where the money goes further. 

1 hour ago, Bedred31 said:

They are doing what they have proved expert in doing over the last few years.

Bringing in lower league players, developing them and then selling them on for very good fees a short time later. They have a proven track record of success - Mackail-Smith, Boyd, Tomlin, Assombalonga and going back a bit Matt Etherington and Simon Davies- and I suspect that makes them feel full justified in asking for top dollar. Buying clubs probably feel they will be getting proven quality as well.

Unfortunately their owner and his barrow boy ruffle feathers, but let's be honest wouldn't we like to have their production line of talent from lower leagues?

43 minutes ago, numbeast said:

It would depend on whether we or any of the other clubs in for him believe he can deliver the goals to push for promotion. If he helped us to premier league £6.5M would be a bargain. If he can't  adjust to a higher league then he'd be an expensive white elephant. As Dirty Harry once said "do you feel lucky?"

If he delivered the goals for push for promotion he would "make my day"

2 hours ago, Bristol_South_End said:

Agreed.

1 hour ago, 1bristolcity said:

Isn't he 29? So it would seem a move that would be right for him. 

But not for us, he showed a complete lack of respect for us in the way he left and he presumably went there to get the same £40k a week they are reportedly paying some of their top players. I wouldn't imagine he would take a pay cut to come back and Villa can't afford to subsidise the deal by paying a significant proportion of that amount. 

Maybe we just forget this Marriott chap and - using the Club’s evolution vs revolution mantra - just nick their scouting team and development staff for a fraction of the cost of buying a one season wonder kid. 

We could then look in a couple of years time (when MA tells us he’s ready, having secured himself a place on some prestigious Premier League Committee) to having our own production line of attacking wonder kids to push us to the promised land.

Another benefit would  be that it result in Barry Fry and his whatshisname Chairman having meltdowns.

2 hours ago, Johnr1986 said:

Why would we want to sign a player who refused to play for us just 2 years ago?

1 hour ago, numbeast said:

MacAnthony states that whoever buys Marriott will get promoted.

He should put his money where his mouth is , sell the lad for what he's really worth , 2 million say , with 4 million as add on when the buying club goes up this season.

l

Archived