IGNORED

Jack Marriott signs for Derby (Merged)

Charlie BCFC

9 minutes ago, hodge said:

Excellent prospect in this division but big risk on the fee, Mo presents a smaller risk for someone we believe can also step up. 

Believe or hope?

Dont get me wrong I’m excited by Eisa but it is a 2 division jump for a player in non-league 18 months ago.

I think the better “punt” would have been Marriott albeit I appreciate we may have tried hard and he may not have wanted to come and outside our control.

I just hope the more expensive risk doesn’t score for fun whilst the cheaper risk looks out of his depth. Fingers crossed. Cos if that happens (even though many won’t admit it yet) we will be slating the club on here in 6 months time for not pushing the boat out - nature of this forum !!

I guess we both (us and Derby) got the players we wanted for the fees we wanted to pay. The real losers are Peterborough who apart from the money dont have the replacement they had lined up. They might also be held to randsom by other clubs who know they have cash to spend.

Just watched a video of all his goals from last year- about 3 mins long...

Knows where the goal is yes, and clearly has decent movement- but got to say some of the defending and goalkeeping which helped to enable his goals was hapless. I'd be surprised if he found such space as readily in the Championship.

31 minutes ago, Neo said:

Believe or hope?

Dont get me wrong I’m excited by Eisa but it is a 2 division jump for a player in non-league 18 months ago.

I think the better “punt” would have been Marriott albeit I appreciate we may have tried hard and he may not have wanted to come and outside our control.

I just hope the more expensive risk doesn’t score for fun whilst the cheaper risk looks out of his depth. Fingers crossed. Cos if that happens (even though many won’t admit it yet) we will be slating the club on here in 6 months time for not pushing the boat out - nature of this forum !!

well marriot has only had one good goal scoring season, he struggled with goals at luton, where as Eisa has scored regularly at every level he has played at,

I think we've got the better player and better value for money personally 

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Excellent post.

FWIW, if Vydra is leaving will Marriott be able to replace him adequately- at least this season?

On the pitch - possibly.

Financially -  definitely 

The latter is probably Derby's most pressing priority.

3 hours ago, Monkeh said:

well marriot has only had one good goal scoring season, he struggled with goals at luton, where as Eisa has scored regularly at every level he has played at,

I think we've got the better player and better value for money personally 

I hope you are right

7 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Marriott is too much of a goal machine to not succeed at this level. People say he's a risk, but I don't think he would have been much of a risk at all. Happy with Eisa though so not complaining. 

He’s only broken 20 goals once, that was last season

12 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Marriott is too much of a goal machine to not succeed at this level. People say he's a risk, but I don't think he would have been much of a risk at all. Happy with Eisa though so not complaining. 

The game is littered with one season wonders, I am not saying this is the case with Marriott but the gamble is too big for a club like City to take .

If Mo doesn't work out we would be able to sell him to a bigger lower league club and get a decent percentage of his transfer fee back .

We are risking probably about a million as opposed to three or four with the Marriott .

4 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

The game is littered with one season wonders, I am not saying this is the case with Marriott but the gamble is too big for a club like City to take .

If Mo doesn't work out we would be able to sell him to a bigger lower league club and get a decent percentage of his transfer fee back .

We are risking probably about a million as opposed to three or four with the Marriott .

Plus the fact the fee banded about was 6.5m when most were saying 'no thanks'

36 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

He’s only broken 20 goals once, that was last season

Bobby Reid never hit 20 goals a season, yet he's just gone for £10m!

19 hours ago, Neo said:

Believe or hope?

Jamie Vardy & Ian Wright didn't fare too badly

32 minutes ago, E.G.Red said:

Jamie Vardy & Ian Wright didn't fare too badly

True. But fairly easy to give popular examples of players who made that sort of jump whilst casually ignoring the many that don’t - to be fair.

Just to emphasise - I’m happy with Eisa - my post was not meant to be negative - just questioning whether the poster thought or hoped Eisa would work out and whether Marriott would have been a better option despite the cost.

I hope Eisa tears it up whilst Marriott is fairly meh and our due diligence etc is proved spot on but not sure that will be the case. Is that so wrong?

37 minutes ago, Neo said:

Just to emphasise - I’m happy with Eisa - my post was not meant to be negative - just questioning whether the poster thought or hoped Eisa would work out and whether Marriott would have been a better option despite the cost.

Marriot and Eisa both have impressive lower league scroring records. To me it's a lottery which one will have be the better Championship season.

That said, I can't see Eisa starting too many games - certainly not early season anyway.

33 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Marriot and Eisa both have impressive lower league scroring records. To me it's a lottery which one will have be the better Championship season.

That said, I can't see Eisa starting too many games - certainly not early season anyway.

got to disagree wit you robbo, I think he'll start plenty of games, he's got a poachers instinct, he may not impose imself on games, but he seems the sort of player who will be quiet for 80 minutes then pop up with 2 goals,

I think now with the workman like players we have in the attacking third (Weinman Watkins) we can afford that type of player

3 hours ago, Monkeh said:

got to disagree wit you robbo, I think he'll start plenty of games, he's got a poachers instinct, he may not impose imself on games, but he seems the sort of player who will be quiet for 80 minutes then pop up with 2 goals,

I think now with the workman like players we have in the attacking third (Weinman Watkins) we can afford that type of player

He'll be competing for a place with Djuric and Taylor plus with Famara when he's completed his ban. I reckon Elliasson will also be in the frame which is why I don't think he'll be a regular starter. 

That said your comments are perfectly valid  points and I can't disagree at all.

I guess it'll be down to LJ and what he sees in training as to who starts.

On 26/07/2018 at 11:06, Redmycolour said:

He's joined Derby, he never wanted to come here, wasn't willing to move his family down South, he got his wish , Derby or Forrest, let's get over it, especially Bristol Post, move on

From what i understand he would have been more than happy to come here ....as long as we met his obscene wage demand.......thing is, that was same story for several clubs....seems he finally found one gullible enough to go for it...

On 26/07/2018 at 11:26, Leveller said:

I've never been to Derby at all. Is there any point, if you don't have to? Does it have any highlights?

I have friends who live in Derby, who we visit regularly. It’s not a decay ridden dump like Oldham, but there really is nothing there. Why you would stay or live there is beyond me. Nottingham is better and that’s saying something. 

Archived