IGNORED

Flint replacement? (merged)

34 minutes ago, Taz said:

Flints replacement is already here - Nathan Baker.

He was bought in last year when Flint was seemingly off. 

Flint didn't start the season as his "head wasn't in the right place"

Expect a RB to come in as his replacement, and/or a younger lower league CB with potential.

If Bryan goes, we'll see the money spent on a LB (although many still argue JB isn't a LB anyway...)

That's probably the most likely scenario, Baker and Wright to start the season as first choice c/b pairing (Vyner and Hegelar on the bench as they cover 4 positions between t h em) with possibly Clarke coming in from Portsmouth as (another) one to develop. 

9 hours ago, GrahamC said:

In theory.

Plus Taylor Moore, (who cost us £1.5m!) as well..

Kelly however is going to have a fair shout of starting at LB if Joe leaves.

Still not sure what exactly Hegeler is myself, neither strong enough to play CB, & too slow to play CM, certainly not in a two.

That leaves Vyner, who I saw completely bullied by Ivan Toney in a game recently, but with his ability to play RB as well he should certainly be in the squad.

Wright and Baker then are clearly the main two, be interesting to see if that is where we go because if so I doubt next season they’ll get 3 goals between them..

Totally agree. Add into that the fact that Wright hasn’t played there pretty much for a season and Baker has regular time out and we are good to go, not. 

We seem to have quantity not quality, a regular occurrence with this team. But even within that quantity we too often have unavailability. 

Yes the transfer window certainly still has a long way to go yet but with departures confirmed or as good as, and the ghost of January in my memory (which I totally blame for the disruption now) I’m not feeling at all confident.

Really disappointed to see us selling flint to a championship side also disappointed he wants to go to Middlesbrough, been a talisman for us and a superb professional, 

Going to be near on impossible to replace I know some will say baker was his replacement but they played together for most of the season so it proves how good he is . 

If wright and baker are our first choice pairing it’s going to be a long hard slog this season . 

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

We, probably, didn't have much choice . 

Flinty has been here five years , he must have wanted a change and if a player wants ' out ' there's no point forcing them to stay .

The player has been faultless in this transfer and before , signing a new contract that protected the club ( are you watching Bobby ? ) .

I am sad to see him go but all players do sooner or later .

I wish him well .

I am now more interested to see what the City are about , do they really want promotion ? 

We shall see with our recruitment.

Sure will be entertaining,although i believe Major we were given a window on ambition in January...??

The weeks ahead leading to kickoff will tell us much,and likely be something of an 'eye opener!

11 hours ago, Mad Cyril said:

Could we buy Flint off Boro? I know we are rivals so they would be mad to sell to us, but all the pointers are this bloke consistently scores double figures every season, never gets injured, is a positive influence on the squad and would be an absolute steal at £5m. Just the sort of player we need.

Better still, we could have him back on loan in January for the forthcoming relegation battle. Save on a transfer fee and JL would save cash.... everyone's a winner..:whistle:

14 hours ago, alexukhc said:

Only thing I heard was Derrick was on holiday with some our lads, saying see you soon when he was leaving :laugh:

I think I can clear this up. Was Bobby there? if so Derrick’s wife/partner I believe is the sister of Bobby’s partner, or there is a family connection there somewhere. They do seem to meet up regularly, don’t read anything into this. 

What is it about our players dating sisters, what is Pack’s wife going to do when Flinty leaves with her sister and nephew and niece!

I'm okay with giving our academy players a chance in the first team if LJ thinks they are good enough. If we're not giving these chances to our players then there's no reason to have an academy.

With that being said, it'd be incredibly unfair to do this, so I'd like to see us go after an older centre back that would be willing to guide a young team.

He'd cost an absolute fortune, but I reckon John Terry would be a good shout. The Flint money would cover his wages, he's better at the back than Flint, and he'd be a signing that shows we mean business this season. Finally, he's never been shy about wanting to get into coaching, and what better place for him to cut his teeth than here, especially when he's got such close ties to Chelsea and their academy.

I'd like to see an older talisman like Terry brought in, with Vyner as his understudy, and covering 20-30 minutes a game.

Why is everyone reacting so badly, we all knew this was coming after we failed to get promotion and I certainly don't begrudge him the move as he's stayed with us the extra season after all the speculation he was going. 

7 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Image result for dan burn

Same height and they even look fairly similar.. That's good enough for me! It'll be like he never left. Only difference is that Dan Burn appears to smile occasionally!

Johnson will sort out that last remaining issue.

9 hours ago, Taz said:

Flints replacement is already here - Nathan Baker.

He was bought in last year when Flint was seemingly off. 

Flint didn't start the season as his "head wasn't in the right place"

The club were trying to sell Flint, quite probably against his wishes at the time, so little wonder if his head wasn't in the right place.

Baker might be equally as a good player when on form but, unlike Flint, is inconsistent, of dubious temperament, injury prone, and always likely to get suspended.

Archived