IGNORED

How many Wingers do we want at the club

Sparkz 76

We seem to be signing players but not in the areas we need right back and goalie is the problem areas on the pitch for us but so far we have bought 2 wingers or wide attackers with potentially Weimann on the way also. There is a way to go in window yet but defence needs bulking up big time with JB likely to move on and Vyner gone to the Millers 

4 minutes ago, Sparkz 76 said:

Callum o Dowda 

Hakeem

paterson

weiman

watkins

Johnny Smith 

they can’t all play

All of those bar Smith will play regularly. Smith will probably get loaned out.. Eliasson too.

I think Paterson/O'Dowda may find themselves playing centrally behind the forward. I suspect we might be moving towards a form of 433 which requires a few more wingers. If we play with such a high press again for example, players will burn out and get injured. We need competition and energy as backup.

I think LJ is changing us to a 4-3-3 and we were short on wingers last year. Leko was pants and Eliasson didn’t cut it and should be loaned out, apart from that we only had COD and couldn’t replace our width when he was injured. The wing is a high energy position and needs decent cover to avoid burnout.

I think our front 6 looks quite exciting. I feel this works as the team has natural width and pace but what makes it a viable option is the industrial nature of the players that operate in this system. 

Brownhill     Pack     O’Dowda

Wiemann  Diedhou  Watkins

That still leaves Smith, Taylor, Adelukan and Djuric as cover. Paterson is still an option to play as a number 10 if we need to adapt our system but I think it could be the end for him. If we bring Marriot in then things really are starting to get interesting.

Just need some full backs and a GK now.......

on the face of it decent recruitment I’d say 

11 minutes ago, Sparkz 76 said:

Callum o Dowda 

Hakeem

paterson

weiman

watkins

Johnny Smith 

they can’t all play

paterson isn't a winger he's a number 10, smith hasn't even got into the squad, weirman doesn't actually play for us yet and can play as  a striker,

but to answer our question we need 4, 2 left and 2 right wingers

We've got COD, hakeem, and Watkins

2 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

paterson isn't a winger he's a number 10, smith hasn't even got into the squad, weirman doesn't actually play for us yet and can play as  a striker,

but to answer our question we need 4, 2 left and 2 right wingers

We've got COD, Kakeem, and Watkins

Due to the fact that we used to dream of a team of Ivan Sproules, probably another 8.

You can add Rory Holden and Opi Edwards to Jonny Smith as good promising wingers or wide midfielders. I'm sure Tinman is working very hard to find loans for a lot of the Under 23 lads.

We should be looking for at least two in first team squad for each position plus a good number of "prospects" because the numbers who will graduate from Academy will always be less than expected for lots of reasons. 

2 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

You can add Rory Holden and Opi Edwards to Jonny Smith as good promising wingers or wide midfielders. I'm sure Tinman is working very hard to find loans for a lot of the Under 23 lads.

We should be looking for at least two in first team squad for each position plus a good number of "prospects" because the numbers who will graduate from Academy will always be less than expected for lots of reasons. 

Thought holden was a CM/Forward and not a winger, that said I haven't really seen the lad play

Wingers are generally adaptable players. They often can play wing back (Ashley Young), Central Midfield ( COD), Centre Forward (Thierry Henry), or No.10 ( Patterson, Bolasie). Can’t think of any who ever stretched their talents to playing in goal though ? 

Its a lottery, with more still yet to come and go; will take some time to sort a first eleven and to get them playing as a fine tuned force to challenge the top six.

He has a month, and where`s the striker and goalie.

1 minute ago, redapple said:

Wingers are generally adaptable players. They often can play wing back (Ashley Young), Central Midfield ( COD), Centre Forward (Thierry Henry), or No.10 ( Patterson, Bolasie). Can’t think of any who ever stretched their talents to playing in goal though ? 

Brian Tinnion.

2 minutes ago, redapple said:

tinman

3 minutes ago, Bri Stool City said:

Its a lottery, with more still yet to come and go; will take some time to sort a first eleven and to get them playing as a fine tuned force to challenge the top six.

He has a month, and where`s the striker and goalie.

give it a rest,

players are really signed in order and we've still over a month til the window shuts

8 minutes ago, redapple said:

Cashley started as an outfield player and Harry Kane was on Arsenal's books as a goalkeeper....... 

Jimmy Rogers our second or third highest ever scorer, started as a right winger but his most successful season wasn 1955 when he and Big John scored 60 plus goals.

And while Alan Skirton was nominally a winger at just over 6ft tall, he frightened defenders all over the pitch.

Also many central strikers do a lot of their good work while wide near the touchline.

Flexibility is what we want.

8 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

A switch to 4-3-3 would be most welcome.

Paterson is a 10 and Weimann can play across the front line. Options and versatility now.

4-3-3 does not suit Paterson in any way.

He doesn’t fit into the middle three and won’t fit in wide of a striker.

If this is the route LJ is going down then we may see Paterson moving on.

38 minutes ago, Sparkz 76 said:

Callum o Dowda 

Hakeem

paterson

weiman

watkins

Johnny Smith 

they can’t all play

You need two senior players in each position, minimum. I see 4 wingers there (2 per position), 2 number 10s/utility and 1 who is years away from the first team. Can’t see the issue. 

8 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

4-3-3 does not suit Paterson in any way.

He doesn’t fit into the middle three and won’t fit in wide of a striker.

If this is the route LJ is going down then we may see Paterson moving on.

4-3-3 can take a variety of forms.

Inside forwards, vs certain opposition could have a fluid front 3 of Weimann, Paterson and Watkins for example- or Paterson as a 10 behind 2 strikers (Diedhiou and Weimann) in a 4-3-1-2 sort of setup.

Still not too optimistic given the sales but can see a plan moving forward at least or the beginning of one.

We need a goalie, right back and i would like to see someone who could challenge or stand in for pack and smith.  Yet another winger signed though. So far, the new signings have been less than convincing and we will have a weaker team than the one that only managed a mid table finish last year.

I hope to be proved wrong, but it's not looking too good to me.

8 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

We need a goalie, right back and i would like to see someone who could challenge or stand in for pack and smith.  Yet another winger signed though. So far, the new signings have been less than convincing and we will have a weaker team than the one that only managed a mid table finish last year.

I hope to be proved wrong, but it's not looking too good to me.

Why do people think that signings will always be made in priority order? Really odd logic.

10 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Inside forwards, vs certain opposition could have a fluid front 3 of Weimann, Paterson and Watkins for example- or Paterson as a 10 behind 2 strikers (Diedhiou and Weimann) in a 4-3-1-2 sort of setup.

Still not too optimistic given the sales but can see a plan moving forward at least or the beginning of one.

Once it is known what is happening about replacing Reid I will be quite positive. Webster for Flint seems a good deal, Adelakun is a great prospect. Watkins I know less about so waiting before any judgement, but quite happy so far.

53 minutes ago, redapple said:

Neuer

1 hour ago, NorwichbasedWurzel said:

I think LJ is changing us to a 4-3-3 and we were short on wingers last year. Leko was pants and Eliasson didn’t cut it and should be loaned out, apart from that we only had COD and couldn’t replace our width when he was injured. The wing is a high energy position and needs decent cover to avoid burnout.

I think our front 6 looks quite exciting. I feel this works as the team has natural width and pace but what makes it a viable option is the industrial nature of the players that operate in this system. 

Brownhill     Pack     O’Dowda

Wiemann  Diedhou  Watkins

That still leaves Smith, Taylor, Adelukan and Djuric as cover. Paterson is still an option to play as a number 10 if we need to adapt our system but I think it could be the end for him. If we bring Marriot in then things really are starting to get interesting.

Just need some full backs and a GK now.......

on the face of it decent recruitment I’d say 

No need to shout ;)

47 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I will use may and could straight away.

Lee Johnson could use these players as inside forwards to create the platform he has mentioned. By going longer quicker vertically he may want to hit that platform using variants of 4-3-3. Mr Johnson has done similar before trying to hit the centre forward and its runners in behind. 

Archived