IGNORED

How many Wingers do we want at the club

Sparkz 76

If they are decent footballers and athletic who can get up and down the pitch then they can play in a variety of positions and formations. It’s not as though we have signed a load of centre backs that can only play in a couple of positions. 

43 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Why do people think that signings will always be made in priority order? Really odd logic.

Probably because the only thing these people  buy on a regular basis is at the supermarket where the aisles and shelves are in a logical format with a predictable purchase pattern.

They don't have to wait around in the queue  until their sausages are ready or cauliflower fully ripened let alone discuss the price with Sainsbury's agent who may well be hoping for a bigger, richer customer being prepared to pay twice the price for the same item or the fact that all the check out staff have buggered off to Saunton Sands on a jolly.

Simples.

2 hours ago, Sparkz 76 said:

We seem to be signing players but not in the areas we need right back and goalie is the problem areas on the pitch for us but so far we have bought 2 wingers or wide attackers with potentially Weimann on the way also. There is a way to go in window yet but defence needs bulking up big time with JB likely to move on and Vyner gone to the Millers 

Never mind the quality,feel the width??.....Don't panic Mr Mannering-their not all gona be out there together at the same time,so no need to shift the Lansdown stand to accommodate....

2 hours ago, Sparkz 76 said:

Callum o Dowda 

Hakeem

paterson

weiman

watkins

Johnny Smith 

they can’t all play

Smith - currently down as under 23 squad, can't see him being in the first team plans, more likely to go out on loan.
This leaves:

O'Dowda 
Hakeem 
Paterson
Weimann 
Watkins

In a 4-3-3 I could easily see us using these 5 as our options across 3 positions as all 5 of these players are able to play both wings and 4 of them can also play as a striker meaning they would be very versatile for in-game position switching.

I would personally see O'Dowda being our prime choice for the Left Wing due to him being our natural left footer then Fammy in the middle as our prime choice. That would leave Weimann or Hakeem on the right with Watkins, Paterson and the unchosen of the two all on the bench giving us a lot of choices and cover for injuries.

Personally, I'd like to see us line up like so based on the players who are here right now:

O'Dowda---Fammy-----Hakeem
Bryan--------K.Smith-----Brownhill 
Kelly--Baker--Webster--Pisano
----------------Fielding------------------

I'd be hoping that offering Bryan his chance in midfield may be enough to make him give us another year or two and I'd be looking to replace Pisano and Fielding to add more strength and quality.

With that line up we'd have:

New signing - GK
Kelly - LB
Baker - CB
Webster - CB
New signing - RB
Bryan - LCM
K.Smith - CM
Brownhill - RCM
O'Dowda - LW
Fammy - ST
Hakeem - RW

Bench:
Fielding
Pisano
Wright
Pack
Watkins
Weimann
Paterson
Djuric

All in all that's not nearly as bad as it could be considering the players we've lost. 

I’ll have a go, again I think it’s likely to be a 433 formation as many have already pointed out. 

New GK

New RB      Webster   Baker   Kelly

Smith    Pack   Bryan

Hakeeb    Diedhiou    Weimann

That’s probably way off but we have so many options in wide areas. The likes of Brownhill, Pato, Wright, Pisano, O’Dowda, Watkins.

Really interested to know LJ’s thoughts.

New GK OR Fielding

New RB Webster Baker Kelly

Brownhill Pack Smith

Weimann                    Bryan

Diedhiou

4-3-3.

That's one option- but the good thing about this variety of players means we can mix and match depending on opposition- in theory.

3 hours ago, Cowshed said:

I will use may and could straight away.

Lee Johnson could use these players as inside forwards to create the platform he has mentioned. By going longer quicker vertically he may want to hit that platform using variants of 4-3-3. Mr Johnson has done similar before trying to hit the centre forward and its runners in behind. 

Inside forwards is a good shout.

11 hours ago, Lew-T said:

I’ll have a go, again I think it’s likely to be a 433 formation as many have already pointed out. 

New GK

New RB      Webster   Baker   Kelly

Smith    Pack   Bryan

Hakeeb    Diedhiou    Weimann

That’s probably way off but we have so many options in wide areas. The likes of Brownhill, Pato, Wright, Pisano, O’Dowda, Watkins.

Really interested to know LJ’s thoughts.

I’d like to see Bryan in central midfield too but I think LJ is quite stubborn about him being a left back (I know he’s played him at left wing)

3 minutes ago, David Brent said:

I’d like to see Bryan in central midfield too but I think LJ is quite stubborn about him being a left back (I know he’s played him at left wing)

I remember a couple of times JB played in CMF, got good reviews too. Anyone remember who that was under? 

10 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I remember a couple of times JB played in CMF, got good reviews too. Anyone remember who that was under? 

That was Cotts wasn't it?

I'd really like to see Bryan at CM next season. Get those direct runs more centrally and create overloads in a 4-3-3/4-5-1. He's relatively capable defensively too, but a little bit more positional sense and nous about his surroundings would be nice though.

I got pretty frustrated with Johnson chopping and changing formation when we were struggling a couple of years ago as I felt the players really needed to concentrate on a system to cut out the suicidal errors that were plaguing us.

However, having a squad that are confident and fluid at changing their system either from game to game or even mid-match, if we’re being outplayed, can only be a good thing.

11 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

Johnson!!!

Away at Wolves (had a very good game - lost 2-1 - assisted Flint’s goal, ROD missed a cross)

Home v Reading (scored, in a defensive performance, 2-0 up, lost 2-3)

Home v Villa (scored a 1on1, won 3-1, played well)

11 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

Johnson!!!

Away at Wolves (had a very good game - lost 2-1 - assisted Flint’s goal, ROD missed a cross)

15 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Johnson!!!

Johnson!!!

Echo aside :whistle:

I thought it was, wasn't 100% confident in my memory though .
Personally, I'd offer him a very good deal with the proviso that if a Prem club came in with a decent offer we wouldn't stand in his way. I think (if we did go 4-3-3 or similar) he could fit into a MF 3 seamlessly , has all the attributes . Sadly I think he will be long gone by the seasons start.

6 hours ago, BCFCGav said:

So how do people think we’ll line up with all these forwards? 4-2-3-1?

COD       Weimann     Watkins

Fammy

Adelakun and Pato subs?

I definitely think 4-2-3-1 is the most likely option, with a high press, hence the need for strength in depth. We’re seeing this develop nicely so far which is exciting. I expect we’ll see:

GK: Fielding/New GK

LB: Bryan/Kelly/New LB

CB: Webster/Baker

CB: Wright

RB: Pisano/Hunt

CM: Smith

CM: Pack/Brownhill/Walsh

LW: O’Dowda/Watkins/Adelakun/Eliasson

CAM: Paterson/O’Dowda

RW: Watkins/Adelakun/Weimann 

ST: Diedhiou/Weimann/Djuric/Taylor

If we got to a lone striker type thing I think 4231 or 4141 are most likely. Probably the latter for me. Say Pack or Smith in there to be a ball winning type behind the press of the “front 5.” Something like

GK

RB CB CB LB

Smith

COD Weimann Brownhill Watkins

Diedhiou

leaving Pato, Djuric, Taylor, Adelakun, Pack as subs. Of course would be fluid and some of them may start in various different matchups. 

Still think 442 is still very much on the cards though and will be something most are used to already just integrating 4-5 instead of changing for the entire squad. We will see but we are already stronger in our first 18 players than last season and still seems at least 2 to come in(RB GK). On paper I’d fancy out chances to finish closer to that top 6

Archived