IGNORED

Rayo Vallecano

Negan

Awesome. They've got great fans, politically a bit like St. Pauli and really lively.

They're based in a poor suburb in Madrid and I saw a game with their support at Real Madrid. Went on a football special they put on via the Madrid underground. Passing joints around, no trouble at all - just got to the ground, sang all game and had a good time despite being smashed 5-0 or something.

Far more fun travelling with them than with one of the big Spanish teams.

Curiously lots of them wore English football pin badges and caps - mostly West Ham actually. 

21 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Awesome. They've got great fans, politically a bit like St. Pauli and really lively.

They're based in a poor suburb in Madrid and I saw a game with their support at Real Madrid. Went on a football special they put on via the Madrid underground. Passing joints around, no trouble at all - just got to the ground, sang all game and had a good time despite being smashed 5-0 or something.

Far more fun travelling with them than with one of the big Spanish teams.

Curiously lots of them wore English football pin badges and caps - mostly West Ham actually. 

Even the Real Madrid fans admit Rayo are the truly 'working class' club of Madrid, based near the street/neighbourhood which bears the clubs name.

Don't know much about their politics but saw a few documentaries and they all look like good lads, unlike the glory hunting fair weather fans of Spain's big 2 clubs. I believe Swansea purchased Michu from them going back a few seasons and he turned into a great little signing!

7 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

They're based in a poor suburb in Madrid and I saw a game with their support at Real Madrid.

I used to live in Madrid and initially thought I would start following Atleti (no one in their right mind would follow the soulless, corrupt fascists up the Castellana). I met a few fellow teachers in my new job who said that they were going to watch Rayo and so I tagged along. After one game, I was hooked. This is a truly special club and the club, the fans and the community are all as one. So much passion, so fierce in their opposition to the far right, corruption and media bias. So supportive of any just causes. As an example, behind one goal there are blocks of flats (not dissimilar to Mandela House). When the club found out an old lady who lived there was being evicted because she couldn’t afford her rent, the players and Rayistas (loyal fans) had a whip round and bought her flat for her.

They gave me one of my greatest seasons watching football a few years ago, staving off relegation on the last day of the season, with Michu, the talismanic hero (I still love him for that phenominal year in particular). He was followed by Diego Costa the next season in a line of hero club figures. 

They are in my blood now. I never thought it would be possible to have two mistresses, but Rayo are special. If you go to Madrid and want loyalty, passion, anarchy, humour and a welcoming embrace, forget the other Madrid teams, go to Vallecas and follow Rayo.

Archived