IGNORED

England v Sweden : Official Matchday Thread

Red Army 75

1 minute ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

Going to play devil’s advocate here, as I have loved the tournament, think we have a great chance to win it and Southgate has earned my respect.

However, a last minute winner over Tunisia, a hammering of Panama, a loss to Belgium and a draw with Colombia. Imagine they were four results in friendlies and we’d be pretty upset, wouldn’t we?

A year ago yes but now it would be more of a concern than upset.

I suppose my post was more about being proud of the manager, players in terms of attitude, keeping themselves to themselves apart from match day when they show real pride and passion, mix with fans etc.

I just feel proud again and it matters. Loving the whole it’s coming home stuff on Twitter etc - just happy and sensing that others are when I’m out and about.

Put it this way not as fed up in city close season as normal !!

19 minutes ago, Neo said:

Probably a debate for its own thread really but anybody else feeling really positive and loving the fact that win or lose the passion and respect for England football is back.

I feel embarrassed now that I, like so many others on here, moaned about international breaks and was very meh about whether I even watched the England games or not.

Now - at least under Gareth (never thought a year ago I would say that) I will enjoy the breaks and look forward to watching England with pride as we build up towards the Euros.

Why? Don't feel embarrassed, we were rubbish, and had been for a long time. Gareth has done a great job so far. Let it continue…:englandflag::englandsmile4wf:

7 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

Going to play devil’s advocate here, as I have loved the tournament, think we have a great chance to win it and Southgate has earned my respect.

However, a last minute winner over Tunisia, a hammering of Panama, a loss to Belgium and a draw with Colombia. Imagine they were four results in friendlies and we’d be pretty upset, wouldn’t we?

Tournament football as we all know is totally different though. The pace and intensity of the game is different, and obviously there's way more pressure. 

I think how you get through the early rounds is fairly irrelevant, just the fact that you get through them at all. We only have to look at the big sides that have fallen already to realise that. 

This should be a straightforward win...2.0 England. Sweden were pretty poor against a wasteful Switzerland. Anyone outside England would think this a nailed in England win. It's only fear that makes a game of it

England evens with the bookies, Sweden 4/1.

A Sweden win is about as likely as us beating Man Utd

14 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Much rather play Sweden than having to play Colombia again. Let’s be completely honest, if we can’t beat Sweden we don’t deserve to be in a WC semi. 

We have yet to turn in a truly convincing performance this tournament and I’d really love to see us just go at it from the off like we did in opening stages of the Tunisia game. 

I still don’t think it’s quite sunk in. Sweden and one of Russia/Croatia and were in a World Cup final. Wow. 

What we’d have done to guarantee that scenario back on day one!

Bang on fella.............

Deal with Swedish set pieces and watch the little flick on's/aireal threat and England will prevail.

12 minutes ago, Spoons said:

England to win 1-0. Tight game not much excitement. Sterling to start and score. 

Im thinking 1-0 England. Certainly not going to be full of goals.

5 minutes ago, Redsox said:

This should be a straightforward win...2.0 England. Sweden were pretty poor against a wasteful Switzerland. Anyone outside England would think this a nailed in England win. It's only fear that makes a game of it

That last bit is nowhere near the case. 

Sweden have only lost once so far, late on to Germany. They are very solid at the back and although they may not be great going forward they'll be very difficult to beat. 

We are going to be favourites but the gap between the sides is nothing like it was when we played man u 

6 minutes ago, Redsox said:

England and straightforward..... You started drinking early! 

22 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Much rather play Sweden than having to play Colombia again. Let’s be completely honest, if we can’t beat Sweden we don’t deserve to be in a WC semi. 

We have yet to turn in a truly convincing performance this tournament and I’d really love to see us just go at it from the off like we did in opening stages of the Tunisia game. 

I still don’t think it’s quite sunk in. Sweden and one of Russia/Croatia and were in a World Cup final. Wow. 

What we’d have done to guarantee that scenario back on day one!

There you go , another underestimating Sweden .

1 minute ago, JBFC II said:

That last bit is nowhere near the case. 

Sweden have only lost once so far, late on to Germany. They are very solid at the back and although they may not be great going forward they'll be very difficult to beat. 

We are going to be favourites but the gap between the sides is nothing like it was when we played man u 

The bookies disagree....a straightforward 2.0..Croatia will be a closer game

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Sweden a very solid side. We really do need to improve with creating chances in open play. I'd stick with this 3322 system, but pick a side that can be changed into a more normal 433 during the game if we need to. As I think our formation is better against teams that come at us. Need Rose to start to get some width on that left side. Gonna be hard to play through them. I'd start Loftus Cheek too in this one. 

100% rose for young , natural width. Loftus cheek for sterling , push dele in behind Kane as he does for spurs. 

Bit worried reports about dier starting with Henderson , hope they’re wide of the mark. 

30 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

Not sure what you were expecting !!!

Weve never ,  (Since I’ve watched in 70) ((Other than an odd game) and few sides ever do , brush sides aside with superior football and panache 

We didn’t and never flowed  in Italia 90 when we got to the semis

96 we weren’t great at all  except against the Dutch 

Thats major tournaments 

We came so close to getting to the Final where we would have beaten the Decimated Argentinians in 90 But have no doubt this is the best chance we will have in my lifetime and whatever players we or other countries have in the future probably the best chance we will ever have in most of yours 

26 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

How many teams have stunk out a tournament but gone on to win it ? 

Bloody loads that's how many .

So I don't mind too much that we haven't played exhibition football, it's all about winning and that's what has got us to touching distance of a World Cup semi final which would put us tantalisingly close to winning the damn thing .

How things have changed back in the day of the so called "Golden Generation" and then more latterly the snarling and sneering Rooney era - managed by a succession of highly paid foreign coaches who promised so much and delivered so little.

But something about the spirit of this squad has re-connected me with our National team and I'm kicking every ball with them, and Southgate has proved me wrong too.

He's a born leader and the way he conducts himself is a huge credit to himself, his employers and his country.

The very best of luck today from your Celtic neighbour. I have noticed a change here as most Irish people are supporting England to win the World Cup. I think it’s something to do with the nature of this team and management - hard working, effective and humble. I really hope they go the whole way. 2018 will become a memorable year for the English and make up for not getting to host the tournament. 

(Hopefully in the euphoria you’ll forget about going through with Brexit!!) :englandflag:

1 hour ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

proper application of VAR and we would have won beaten Tunisia comfortably  A decent referee against Columbia would have curtailed and properly punished their shenanigans, which was pretty well all that kept them in the game.

past England teams would probably have drawn against Tunisia and clutched defeat from the jaws of victory against Colombia, so we seem to be moving in the right direction 

early for drinking and shouting?

2 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

And it's Bristol City, Bristol City it is

Bit early for drinking and shouting?

• Admin
1 hour ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

This is the problem though, why should it be any different? 

International football no longer has that many really weak teams, especially when we get to tournament football. 

As we see regularly down the gate opposition sides can quite easily manage a game into a tighter affair than it looks on paper, tournament football is all about getting through, so far so good 

Jesus, he's started already 

53 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

We're all on coach one , we can stop off at the services to pick you up if you want , about two o'clock .

Time for a bevy before kick off .

:yes:

Is there room for a 60,000 pick up in Horfield?

Au bureau for today’s game in Arras . Game fits in nicely with Liam Gallagher on at eight and Depeche Mode at 10. 

Lots of French tops on and face painting yesterday at the festival, I am in France!!

I would expect today’s game  to be a cagey affair full of set plays . Me I can’t call it as them Swedes are dangerous . Ok an England win two nil 

Archived