IGNORED

England v Sweden : Official Matchday Thread

Red Army 75

6 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

Sweden are the international version of Preston. No big stars or glamour but defensively solid and difficult to play against. Let's just hope England aren't the international version of us!

England are like Tottenham, literally and metaphorically. 

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

There you go , another underestimating Sweden .

Not at all. Simply saying it how it is - we should be, nay need to be, beating the likes of Sweden if we're even remotely serious about competing for the cup!

Won't be an easy game, and I don't think saying I'd rather face them than Colombia again is underestimating them. More a case of emphasising what a bunch of ***** Colombia are!

8 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Not at all. Simply saying it how it is - we should be, nay need to be, beating the likes of Sweden if we're even remotely serious about competing for the cup!

Won't be an easy game, and I don't think saying I'd rather face them than Colombia again is underestimating them. More a case of emphasising what a bunch of ***** Colombia are!

He's doing it again " the likes of Sweden " .

10 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

He's doing it again " the likes of Sweden " .

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

Yep, the Swedes are no pushover at all. It'll be a hard game with few goals. 

I understand what you're both saying, but I also see 86's point too. I strongly think we are a better side than Sweden in every department and are favourites for a reason. Of course they shouldn't be underestimated, but I feel more confident in us beating them than I did about Colombia for example.

10 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I understand what you're both saying, but I also see 86's point too. I strongly think we are a better side than Sweden in every department and are favourites for a reason. Of course they shouldn't be underestimated, but I feel more confident in us beating them than I did about Colombia for example.

Opposite for me!

i was confident we'd beat the cheating bastards even tho it was on penalties.

Im nowhere near as confident against Sweden,

Sure, on paper England have better players but the Swedes are a resolute bunch and will defend in numbers and try to play on the break. That's why I can't see many goals.

If, and it is a big if, England get an early goal then that'll force the Swedes to be more offensive and hopefully leave the back door open.

Im even more nervous now............

2 hours ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

Going to play devil’s advocate here, as I have loved the tournament, think we have a great chance to win it and Southgate has earned my respect.

However, a last minute winner over Tunisia, a hammering of Panama, a loss to Belgium and a draw with Colombia. Imagine they were four results in friendlies and we’d be pretty upset, wouldn’t we?

Why do people talk about a "last minute win" as if i somehow counts less than a win secured with half an hour still to go? A game is decided by who scores the most from the first whistle to the last. It doesn't matter when the goals occur.

Ignore the Belgium game, we made 9 changes. Judge us by our first choice team. It's P3 W2 D1 L0 f9 a3. Not much wrong with that.

That said, i am concerned about a lack of goals from open play and I suspect the cheap penalties will be harder to come by from here on in.

Fancy us to win in 90 mins today though. Not sure why, I just do. I think that momentous shoot out win has given us a real boost, perhaps more even than an outright win would have done.

17 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

The Swedish national side can be compared to Iceland. 

:shocking:

A solid team  who just lack a World class forward .

We have a World class forward but we need to give him the chances to score .

I believe we will scrape a 1-0 win with said World class forward making the difference.

A cup match is always a bit of a lottery though. 

1 hour ago, North London Red said:

Currently having a late lunch on the banks of the Volga. Thankfully a bit cooler today than it has been in the Samara region in recent days, but still quite hot and muggy outside. Hopefully by 6pm it will have cooled down a bit. 

The atmosphere is building nicely. 

If nothing else this World Cup has opened my eyes to how F-ing big the Volga is.

8 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Any word on freakish ""Young and Sterling tread barefoot on upturned 3-pin plugs" injuries?

:fingerscrossed:

Can't be worse than Lego blocks who inflict a pain largely superiour to the size of the blinking object. 

Let's hope none of the England party have been playing with Lego and not tidied up after themselves. 

:disapointed2se:

1 hour ago, Irishred said:

The very best of luck today from your Celtic neighbour. I have noticed a change here as most Irish people are supporting England to win the World Cup. I think it’s something to do with the nature of this team and management - hard working, effective and humble. I really hope they go the whole way. 2018 will become a memorable year for the English and make up for not getting to host the tournament. 

(Hopefully in the euphoria you’ll forget about going through with Brexit!!) :englandflag:

Love this. There's definitely something different about this England team and it's approach to the tournament. A few things spring to mind:-

- a more relaxed approach to media

- no off pitch controversy (See: Sven, wags, etc)

- no misfiring superstar (See: Rooney)

- no distracting major injury (See: Rooney, Beckham)

- a massively likeable manager

- no sense of primmadonna players

- a well defined, modern way of playing with no square pegs in round holes.

- actually winning, even including penalties!

Long may it continue!

Alfred Finnbogason is world class. He was everywhere in Iceland's game against Argentina and he scored aswell. Looked amazing.

He was at HIF on loan once but Heerenveen signed him just as we thought we had a finished agreement. One of our most annoying transfer failures of recent years.

In quote to:

33 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

We have a World class forward but we need to give him the chances to score .

I believe we will scrape a 1-0 win with said World class forward making the difference.

A cup match is always a bit of a lottery though. 

Agree wth all of that.

Sweden remind me a little of a good experienced Championship side going on a great FA Cup run. They are well drilled, all know their roles, and have a great team ethic. They clearly do not have that really big star or two. They will play at least a way we understand.

Getting to the QFs their run has arguably been much more impressive than ours. They have come through groups containing Holland and Germany, and beat Italy 1-0 over two legs. I think the latter pretty much sums them up, and they will certainly in no way fear us.

Equally, loving our run, but not convinced we are actually playing that well. Just battling and finding a way. Defence has been better than I expected (although no clean sheet in four games), midfield worse.

Cannot shift the feeling we 'should' win, but not going to be a huge surprise if we do not. The longer it stays 0-0 the happier they will be, and if they score first, they will really fancy they can see it out. Fingers crossed for another good day. Both teams will be really loving their shot at a SF. We are I am sure happy to be playing them at this stage. Equally, I am sure it is entirely mutual.

Getting nervous already. Not sure why, after all...

53 minutes ago, North London Red said:

It has only just dawned on me why hotel rooms were so hard to find in Samara. There seem to be lots of German fans here, who assumed they'd win their group and then their last 16 game. 

Well at least they can lay down their towels at the pool today without much fight 

Looking forward to the game here in Sweden. Most of the swedes are optimistic and think Sweden will win. Myself think is 35-65 for a Swedish win. We know how to defend and if it is 0-0 at ht, the second will be nervous. We have to have Kane in our pocket and not allow him to score. Kane, a great player. Ok, we know when the game is over. Anyway I think its gonna be a tight game.

Archived