IGNORED

Harry Maguire

9 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Bet he rues the day his transfer to us fell through! He has been immense.

On a side note, can’t believe Lingard thought he was good enough to turn down a move to the mighty reds and stay to fight for his place at Utd. Bet he felt stupid last season when we knocked them out the cup!

... and even more stupid when putting pen to paper on his new £150,000 a week contract!

43 minutes ago, Frenchay Red said:

Rather underlines that Cotts knew what he was doing, whereas those holding the purse strings.........

If the powers to be had the balls needed to get the maguire and Lingard deals over the line, with a promotion winning team full of confidence, a fan base full of newly promoted optimism and a striker in Kodjia banging in the goals awho knows where it would have taken us.  I think Cotts relationship with the board was irretrievable after that. I really believe he was moving us in the right direction and 3 or 4 quality additions to a small but talented squad was what was needed.  Wasted opportunity and lessons were not learned given the shambles of a January window we’ve just seen.  This year we seemed to have acknowledged that the experience is needed to replace the out goings and we’ve loosened the constant desire to buy untested  ‘ones for the future’.

6 hours ago, General Zod said:

If the powers to be had the balls needed to get the maguire and Lingard deals over the line, with a promotion winning team full of confidence, a fan base full of newly promoted optimism and a striker in Kodjia banging in the goals awho knows where it would have taken us.  I think Cotts relationship with the board was irretrievable after that. I really believe he was moving us in the right direction and 3 or 4 quality additions to a small but talented squad was what was needed.  Wasted opportunity and lessons were not learned given the shambles of a January window we’ve just seen.  This year we seemed to have acknowledged that the experience is needed to replace the out goings and we’ve loosened the constant desire to buy untested  ‘ones for the future’.

He also missed out on Sam Clucas, Darikwa, Ryan Woods, Jed Wallace and Jamie Murphy from the league we had just come up from. Point is there should have been a balance but think SC was too set in his ways. It is all what could have been but probably worked out for the better as spending wouldn’t have guaranteed anything. In a weird way maybe our summer failings that year made way for an England semi final in the world cup? Hopefully that will make everyone feel a bit better about it

17 hours ago, General Zod said:

One “like” isn’t enough for this post!

Of course Cotts knew what he was doing.... massive chance missed. 

Have the board learned? I’m not sure. We’re still not rolling the dice on a limited number of proven players, on the up, at this level.  In fact that’s exactly what we’ve sold.  

I’m concerned that some of our signings fit the bill of our previous Johnson (G) downward spiral of signing players who aren’t obvious steps up and haven’t been huge successes at this level with their previous clubs (Watkins, Weimann).

Hopefully they and others will hit the ground running. Our transfer strategy is a huge gamble this year. Hopefully we’ll find both a bit of star quality and on-field leadership. 

17 hours ago, General Zod said:

To be fair in the case of Lingard, don’t remember that being the boards fault, more so he had little interest in joining Bristol City. Not long after we put in the bid Newcastle were also mentioned as being interested so if he had left Utd there was every chance it wouldn’t have been for us anyway.

44 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

To be fair in the case of Lingard, don’t remember that being the boards fault, more so he had little interest in joining Bristol City. Not long after we put in the bid Newcastle were also mentioned as being interested so if he had left Utd there was every chance it wouldn’t have been for us anyway.

I still don’t understand why that season the board was happy for us to fish for transfer targets in a particular pond if we didn’t have sufficient clout in terms of reputation or wages to get the deals done.  If the money men truely had belief and went all out to get one signing over the line more would have surely followed.  It felt at the time that we were agreeing deals for sizeable transfer fees but without an understanding that with a sizeable fee comes sizeable wage demands.  In reality we waisted a lot of time on targets which we had no chance of securing.  Anyway, a long time ago, time to move on...

IMO, Cotts had the players he wanted with the deals pretty much done. However the owner, et al, didn't like how he was so closely involved to the deals, and wanted to take more control of what was happening, tried to renegotiate them and we all know the outcome.

Considering our transfer activities under MA/LJ I'm not sure that SC's way, as unpalatable as it was to those in control, would have turned out anything like as costly as our somewhat revolving door transfer activities since SC was replaced.

And I suspect we might have done a whole lot better it that first season back in this league.

Any way let's hope the latest additions help us push on.

All that would have happened if City had signed Maguire is that his development would have been held back and England would be playing Gary Cahill in defense.

One potential top class player wasn't going to make a significant difference to that team. Nathan Baker was perfectly adequate for our needs. Cotterill should have focussed on more realistic signings.

1 hour ago, BCFC_Dan said:

All that would have happened if City had signed Maguire is that his development would have been held back and England would be playing Gary Cahill in defense.

One potential top class player wasn't going to make a significant difference to that team. Nathan Baker was perfectly adequate for our needs. Cotterill should have focussed on more realistic signings.

He's agreed fees and wages for both Grey ( the first time) and Maguire so surely they were very realistic..... 

Archived