IGNORED

Should we reinvest the Flint/Reid cash?

numbeast

12 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

So you rubbish this post of mine which is fine but please explain. 

Do you think LJ  and recruitment staff say. Right we need a keeper,  better get one first before we sign anyone else. But lee there ‘s 3 or 4 other players we can sign first , negotiations are advanced and we’ll probably lose them if we don’t act and it’s slow going on the keeper front. No no. There’s a fan that says we should sign a keeper first so all signings are on hold until we get one . :facepalm:

I thought it was a rubbish post ....hence why I rubbished it.

I'm also just annoyed that we will start the season with our weakest player from last season! 

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

There could be some bargains- maybe worthy of a thread but anyway...

Birmingham in a transfer embargo apparently so they have a few good individuals- anyone take our fancy?

Stockdale maybe...?

Wes Harding or Maxime Colin at RB?

All are more attainable from a club in a transfer embargo and a consensus seems to be that we need an RB or keeper. The 2 potential RB's would have sell-on value too, particularly Harding.

Stockdale was supposedly rumoured to be off, with Bialkowski coming in from Ipswich to replace him.  That won’t be happening.

Bialkowski an upgrade on FF, but not the greatest with ball at his feet imho.

36 minutes ago, Spoons said:

I'm also just annoyed that we will start the season with our weakest player from last season! 

Diony isn’t our player, neither is Woodrow or Kent. 

Imo what FF lacks in commanding his box he makes up for in shot stopping. His distribution isn’t the best, but the club (it won’t be him thinking it’s a wise idea to lump it out he’ll be told that’s what LJ and co. Want him to do) are trying to retain possession and create attacking opportunities instead of lumping it to a small striker and hand over possession again leaving us out of shape. If it goes for a throw in to the opposition we have a chance to regain shape. Can’t think of a goal we conceded in the last 2 seasons where FF has kicked it straight out and it’s directly lead to the opposition scoring. 

11 minutes ago, You Do The Dziekanowski said:

Imo what FF lacks in commanding his box he makes up for in shot stopping. His distribution isn’t the best, but the club (it won’t be him thinking it’s a wise idea to lump it out he’ll be told that’s what LJ and co. Want him to do) are trying to retain possession and create attacking opportunities instead of lumping it to a small striker and hand over possession again leaving us out of shape. If it goes for a throw in to the opposition we have a chance to regain shape. Can’t think of a goal we conceded in the last 2 seasons where FF has kicked it straight out and it’s directly lead to the opposition scoring. 

Clearly its been a tactic for us to hit goal kicks to flint on the touchline, which presumably isnt going to be replicated with anyone else, and therefore increases the chances of the ball going into touch. I assume if this tactic is ditched then fieldings kicking wont appear as bad. When you look at stockdale, bentley, johnstone and a few others, i think we could get someone better in.

12 minutes ago, You Do The Dziekanowski said:

It would be hard to conceded a goal directly from a throw in forty metres from goal but not so hard from its secondary movement. Does poor distribution in its forms lose possibility, momentum and lead to having to defend far more attacks … Arguably yes, in the case of Bristol City 100%.

1 minute ago, Cowshed said:

It would be hard to conceded a goal directly from a throw in forty metres from goal but not so hard from its secondary movement. Does poor distribution in its forms lose possibility, momentum and lead to having to defend far more attacks … Arguably yes, in the case of Bristol City 100%.

The point I was making was I haven’t seen us concede a goal in the 2 seasons FF has been kicking to touch where it was a result of us gifting the ball away from a GK. If it goes for a throw your players are in a better position to defend. Kicking down the middle you lose that shape as your wingbacks are wide, your wingers are wide and can’t defend Narrowly. Revert to the term, defend narrow and attack wide. 

26 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Stockdale was supposedly rumoured to be off, with Bialkowski coming in from Ipswich to replace him.  That won’t be happening.

Bialkowski an upgrade on FF, but not the greatest with ball at his feet imho.

If we need a new keeper.

Would prefer Stockdale- subject to affordability etc of course, because as you say Bialkowski not the best technically.

However fee, wages etc- all factors to consider.

Stockdale will soon be 33, Bialkowski 31 but then goalkeepers can play late into their 30's more readily than other position IMO.

8 minutes ago, simon uk said:

Clearly its been a tactic for us to hit goal kicks to flint on the touchline, which presumably isnt going to be replicated with anyone else, and therefore increases the chances of the ball going into touch. I assume if this tactic is ditched then fieldings kicking wont appear as bad. When you look at stockdale, bentley, johnstone and a few others, i think we could get someone better in.

Yes he’s by no means the best GK in the league but he hasn’t done anything wrong to be warranted with the ‘worse player last season’ tag which is what I was disagreeing with. I would like a new GK in but won’t be disheartened if we do have FF in goal next season

32 minutes ago, You Do The Dziekanowski said:

Seriously ?!

FF being a good shot stopper is a myth.

He's so poor positionally it's scary. He like you said can't/ won't command his box. His distribution from hand and feet is shocking at best and sooooo slow it hurts!!

He cost us points last season and I strongly believe his mistake against wolves at home shaped the second half of our season.

1 minute ago, Spoons said:

Seriously ?!

He's so poor positionally it's scary. He like you said can't/ won't command his box. His distribution from hand and feet is shocking at best and sooooo slow it hurts!!

He cost us points last season and I strongly believe his mistake against wolves at home shaped the second half of our season.

I agree against wolves that was his mistake. He stays on can see us winning against 10 men. But, he really wasn’t as bad as your making out imo. There’s worse keepers we could have in our team. 

5 minutes ago, You Do The Dziekanowski said:

I agree against wolves that was his mistake. He stays on can see us winning against 10 men. But, he really wasn’t as bad as your making out imo. There’s worse keepers we could have in our team. 

Knowing are track record with keepers we will probably sign Joe Hart to replace him!!! Then I would stick with FF !!

37 minutes ago, You Do The Dziekanowski said:

The point I was making was I haven’t seen us concede a goal in the 2 seasons FF has been kicking to touch where it was a result of us gifting the ball away from a GK. If it goes for a throw your players are in a better position to defend. Kicking down the middle you lose that shape as your wingbacks are wide, your wingers are wide and can’t defend Narrowly. Revert to the term, defend narrow and attack wide. 

It is a point I have made about being out of shape. It does lose opportunity. The primary reason is that Frankie Fielding's distribution is  unpredictable, and that aspect is two thirds of a Keepers game.  

This flaw in what is an overwhelmingly significant part of his football loses possibility for City and creates opportunity for the opponents.

1 hour ago, simon uk said:

Actually he kicked more balls towards Bryan on the left wing than Flint to the right, and Bryan won more balls in the air from this tactic than Flint ever did. I suspect we will see a reduced use however with Webster more able to bring the ball out from the back. 

4 hours ago, Spoons said:

We’ve obviously gone after at least 2 keepers but they’ve gone elsewhere. We’ve got no Devine right to get who we want straight away. Like I said if you think that’s how transfers work then you’re being very naive . 

3 hours ago, You Do The Dziekanowski said:

It's hard to say we retain shape when we send a centre back to the wing. 

58 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Let's spend a lot of the money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest we can just squander.

Good to see the George Best quote making an appearance OTIK.

14 minutes ago, 29AR said:

Well we were moving Bailey to CB most the time and the RM (Brownhill usually) dropping back to RB on goal kicks so the shape was retained. 

23 minutes ago, 29AR said:

When the ball leaves the field for the throw in we return back to our normal shape. If the ball gets kicked through the middle you often lose 2 CM’s if you you don’t win/retain possession and your two wingbacks as they are thinking attack and more than likely have made an attacking run. Losing possession centrally is more dangerous than losing it in a wider position. 

Personally, I'm happy enough with Fielding but his distribution isn't the best IMO.

Whether it's linked to tactics or a lack of ball playing centre backs probably plays a part.

Not saying sell him, useful to keep in the squad if not a starter IMO, but if we pass out from the back more, we would need a better keeper in terms of distribution and judging when to leave his line/box- think the equaliser for Wolves at the end of 2017.

8 hours ago, You Do The Dziekanowski said:

I thought we had reinvested the money.....

Hunt, Weiman, Adelukan, Webster. Just need a GK and CM and I’ll consider it a very good summer

did we buy Marley Watkins or did I dream that?

15 hours ago, robin_unreliant said:

I was assuming the fact we have signed a few players from Championship clubs with experience in this league means we have done exactly this.

I'd like to think so, but if it were the case would Flint have still gone to Boro?

Just my opinion but I think City need another striker to play instead of/as well as Diedhiou.

Should he hit bad form or get injured I can't see anyone taking his place without changing style or formation.

And a bit of competition never hurt anyone.

4 minutes ago, jj77 said:

Just my opinion but I think City need another striker to play instead of/as well as Diedhiou.

Should he hit bad form or get injured I can't see anyone taking his place without changing style or formation.

And a bit of competition never hurt anyone.

Agreed. I would like 5 really - Diedhiou, Djuric, Taylor, Weimann and another. 

He may well use any of Watkins/Paterson/Adelukan/O'Dowda/Eliasson as a forward.. wouldn't put it past him. 

My choice would be Eisa personally. Available for a reasonable price, has potential to improve, local and LJ will know exactly what he's all about from his father.

I don't really like the price of Marriott. I think he'd be a good signing, but 5-7m feels like a lot of money for someone who hasn't played outside of L1.

11 hours ago, You Do The Dziekanowski said:

When the ball leaves the field for the throw in we return back to our normal shape. If the ball gets kicked through the middle you often lose 2 CM’s if you you don’t win/retain possession and your two wingbacks as they are thinking attack and more than likely have made an attacking run. Losing possession centrally is more dangerous than losing it in a wider position. 

If the team opens out short, wide, pushed up it is not necessarily true to say a ball up the centre lost is more challenging to defend. If the opposition respond and attempt to block options short and wide the long ball goes into a potential overload, and the midfield can have numerical superiority in attack and then in defence. The variables go on an on ..

The above is heavily reliant on the Keepers foot skill. Lack of technical ability in a Keeper = Lack of tactical flexibility. 

15 hours ago, Spoons said:

Seriously ?!

what points did he cost us?, his mistake? what about flint pretending to be a striker which caused frankie to get a red card in the first place?

Frankie won us far more points then he cost us, his only issue is his distribution and then he's the 8th best keeper in terms of distribution in the league

32 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

what points did he cost us?, his mistake? what about flint pretending to be a striker which caused frankie to get a red card in the first place?

Frankie won us far more points then he cost us, his only issue is his distribution and then he's the 8th best keeper in terms of distribution in the league

He is eighth - eleventh depending on whatever you measure and who measures it. His passing accuracy is a low 56%.

You can do all sorts with these stats. Do you want a Keeper to dominate the box? Angus Gunn bosses that, Frank Fielding is eleventh. Lots of saves? Frank Fielding is 2.17 … Fulham's Bettellini makes 3.49 .. Even these seemingly simple stats can be skewed by how a team defends - Low block more saves due to more shots from distance. Interventions outside of the box? Claims?

Ultimately it is about what you want your Keeper to do, what is the team need and so what is it that the Keeper needs to excel in? Fulham for instance pass it consistently and frequently and their Keepers had far higher passing accuracies than Frank Fielding because its the team need. 

Looking at football in general its clear teams use a myriad of approaches, its not a game of 4-4-2 matching up v 4-4-2 anymore. And if your Keeper does not have a high technical ability the tactical flexibility of the team can only suffer.  

Archived