IGNORED

Should we reinvest the Flint/Reid cash?

numbeast

Should we meet the posh valuation and get Marriott or someone similar with the proceeds of the Flint/Reid sales or should we keep that money for January?

Speaking for myself I think I'll be a tad disappointed if we fail the recruit a proven goal scorer. We have Fammy who has shown he knows where the net is but a quick striker would be a perfect foil for him. We also have several other position that need strengthening  so when I read the post I was a little dismayed to see they think our recruitment is nearly over.

We could still lose Joe Bryan which should bring in another decent fee. Last season we found out how threadbare our squad really is if we get a run of injuries but our net recruitment is only 1 more player than last year. There is a time to bank the money but at this time I feel we need to reinvest and improve on last year.

I don’t think the comings and goings is done just yet. I am sure the club are very vigilant in lining up players if we lose anyone else and will reinvest in line with those who have joined recently. I still think we are very much in the running for Marriott and if JB goes then regardless of Kelly being more than capable of playing there we will get another LB. A keeper is an obvious area that LJ is trying to address so almost certain a new keeper will join especially as Steele has left the club.

14 minutes ago, numbeast said:

Should we meet the posh valuation and get Marriott or someone similar with the proceeds of the Flint/Reid sales or should we keep that money for January?

Speaking for myself I think I'll be a tad disappointed if we fail the recruit a proven goal scorer. We have Fammy who has shown he knows where the net is but a quick striker would be a perfect foil for him. We also have several other position that need strengthening  so when I read the post I was a little dismayed to see they think our recruitment is nearly over.

We could still lose Joe Bryan which should bring in another decent fee. Last season we found out how threadbare our squad really is if we get a run of injuries but our net recruitment is only 1 more player than last year. There is a time to bank the money but at this time I feel we need to reinvest and improve on last year.

Really? New GK is the only area that seemingly needs desperate strengthening. Brownhill can now move back to being exclusively a CM. Until someone else leaves I don't we really need to replace anyone at this stage. Apart from GK (unless we're happy with Max) and Kelly covering LCB and LB then we have at least 2 players in each position. 

5 minutes ago, INCRED said:

I don’t think the comings and goings is done just yet. I am sure the club are very vigilant in lining up players if we lose anyone else and will reinvest in line with those who have joined recently. I still think we are very much in the running for Marriott and if JB goes then regardless of Kelly being more than capable of playing there we will get another LB. A keeper is an obvious area that LJ is trying to address so almost certain a new keeper will join especially as Steele has left the club.

….Steele out of contract?  

Thought we'd get at least..

'alf a sixpence' for him which is better 'alf a penny,  better than 'alf a farthing' which would be better than NONE. 

Good Luck anyway Luke.

Transfermarkt, dunno how accurate and reliable it is with fees but it reckons we have in simple cash terms, a net profit of £11.79m on transfers so far this summer.

HOWEVER- like I say accuracy and that, plus it might have included for example a add-on fee as a fee in the bank (vice versa if any of our outlays had add-ons). We're definitely still in profit though in simple cash terns, IMO.

Edt- No idea how much we got for Engvall, seems not to be included on the incoming.

If I was having a guess, I'd suggest in cash terms our current profit on transfer business this summer, purely cash  terms £8-9m at this stage.

Just now, View from the Dolman said:

So you'd turn down the other players we've already signed (and potentially lose them to other suitors) in order to sign players in pure priority order?

No but I would have signed a keeper first. I'm happy with the signings already made.

1 minute ago, hodge said:

Well given we've seemingly missed out on 2 or 3 its not like we've not been trying.

Not hard enough

2 minutes ago, Spoons said:

Need a goalkeeper ASAP. Should have been the first signing.

Why?

Most of us realise that FF needs some serious competition for his place but there's still plenty of time to see LJ bring another keeper in.

Personally I think the window so far has been pdg.

4 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Why?

Most of us realise that FF needs some serious competition for his place but there's still plenty of time to see LJ bring another keeper in.

Personally I think the window so far has been pdg.

He doesn't need seriously competition for his place he needs selling.

There could be some bargains- maybe worthy of a thread but anyway...

Birmingham in a transfer embargo apparently so they have a few good individuals- anyone take our fancy?

Stockdale maybe...?

Wes Harding or Maxime Colin at RB?

All are more attainable from a club in a transfer embargo and a consensus seems to be that we need an RB or keeper. The 2 potential RB's would have sell-on value too, particularly Harding.

17 minutes ago, Spoons said:

No but I would have signed a keeper first. I'm happy with the signings already made.

Not hard enough

Not our fault our #1 choice Henderson preferred to stay a Man United player and go out on loan again rather than move permanently

37 minutes ago, hodge said:

Really? New GK is the only area that seemingly needs desperate strengthening. Brownhill can now move back to being exclusively a CM. Until someone else leaves I don't we really need to replace anyone at this stage. Apart from GK (unless we're happy with Max) and Kelly covering LCB and LB then we have at least 2 players in each position. 

It's always good to have differing views. For me we need a Hartley type of midfielder who has the vision and ability to orchestrate and dictate play along with a new keeper and striker. Given the fees we received getting Marriott in could make a huge difference. But as I say it's just my opinion.

31 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

There could be some bargains- maybe worthy of a thread but anyway...

Birmingham in a transfer embargo apparently so they have a few good individuals- anyone take our fancy?

Stockdale maybe...?

Wes Harding or Maxime Colin at RB?

All are more attainable from a club in a transfer embargo and a consensus seems to be that we need an RB or keeper. The 2 potential RB's would have sell-on value too, particularly Harding.

Didn't we sign Hunt to play RB?

I would never seek a keeper first. Keepers are not hard to come by and if we do feel we need one we can pick one up later in the window. I find it interesting however that most criticism of Frankie is down to his kicking rather than his ability as a shot stopper or in one on one situations. Didn’t someone run a stats survey back of last season that put Frankie at 28 among EFL keepers for kicking. 

As for Marriott, a goal scorer he may be, but proven in the Championship he isn’t. 

5 minutes ago, numbeast said:

It's always good to have differing views. For me we need a Hartley type of midfielder who has the vision and ability to orchestrate and dictate play along with a new keeper and striker. Given the fees we received getting Marriott in could make a huge difference. But as I say it's just my opinion.

We're supposedly sitting on an offer for Djuric, if he goes I can see us bringing in a new striker, I think Brownhill could be huge for us in the middle of the park so not convinced we need someone else at the moment. The other big thing at the moment, bringing in another player without one leaving bloats the wage bill some more.

3 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Didn't we sign Hunt to play RB?

Ah yeah- course we did!

Stockdale then? I know he's 33 but he's on the market apparently and goalies have a longer shelflife.

If we deemed Pisano no longer having a future here we could look as a medium or long run investment at one of the 2 RB's as one of the 2- but Stockdale certainly should IMO be a target.

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Ah yeah- course we did!

Stockdale then? I know he's 33 but he's on the market apparently and goalies have a longer shelflife.

If we deemed Pisano no longer having a future here we could look as a medium or long run investment at one of the 2 RB's as one of the 2- but Stockdale certainly should IMO be a target.

For a second I thought I'd imagined it all!

I'd not be against Stockdale, decent keeper. Are Birmingham under an embargo though, can't say I've seen anything about it?

7 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

For a second I thought I'd imagined it all!

I'd not be against Stockdale, decent keeper. Are Birmingham under an embargo though, can't say I've seen anything about it?

Think it's in a number of outlets.

The best bit if true, is that they have signed a player this summer- but can't play him as EFL won't register him. Still have to pay his wage though- which again makes them more prone to bargain hunting!

1 hour ago, Spoons said:

Why should it have been the first signing..?! 

Should we have missed out on our other signings and stated “we’d have liked to have signed 4 proven championship level players and one of the lower leagues hottest properties, but we refuse to do so until we have signed a GK”..?! 

2 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Why should it have been the first signing..?! 

Should we have missed out on our other signings and stated “we’d have liked to have signed 4 proven championship level players and one of the lower leagues hottest properties, but we refuse to do so until we have signed a GK”..?! 

Because you need your goalkeeper to get to know everyone especially the new defence he is going to play with as soon as possible.

We will start with FF and sign a loan keeper.  Not great but I am biased as I am blinkered when it comes to FF. I can't see any positive at all in him starting as our no.1

1 hour ago, Spoons said:

47 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

It doesn’t work like that . How naive to think it does. 

So you rubbish this post of mine which is fine but please explain. 

Do you think LJ  and recruitment staff say. Right we need a keeper,  better get one first before we sign anyone else. But lee there ‘s 3 or 4 other players we can sign first , negotiations are advanced and we’ll probably lose them if we don’t act and it’s slow going on the keeper front. No no. There’s a fan that says we should sign a keeper first so all signings are on hold until we get one . :facepalm:

No.

In my view, the Flint/Reid cash should be our opportunity to boost our wage structure, to ensure that in the future we can attract the kind of players we need to have a proper go of promotion.

As good as we've had it recently, the fact is that we've lost a Championship calibre player to a rival team that can offer more. We should never be in the position to sell to rival teams again, and improving our wage structure for new and existing players will ensure this doesn't happen again.

5 minutes ago, EnderMB said:

No.

In my view, the Flint/Reid cash should be our opportunity to boost our wage structure, to ensure that in the future we can attract the kind of players we need to have a proper go of promotion.

I was assuming the fact we have signed a few players from Championship clubs with experience in this league means we have done exactly this.

Archived