IGNORED

Should we reinvest the Flint/Reid cash?

numbeast

13 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

He is eighth - eleventh depending on whatever you measure and who measures it. His passing accuracy is a low 56%.

You can do all sorts with these stats. Do you want a Keeper to dominate the box? Angus Gunn bosses that, Frank Fielding is eleventh. Lots of saves? Frank Fielding is 2.17 … Fulham's Bettellini makes 3.49 .. Even these seemingly simple stats can be skewed by how a team defends - Low block more saves due to more shots from distance. Interventions outside of the box? Claims?

Ultimately it is about what you want your Keeper to do, what is the team need and so what is it that the Keeper needs to excel in? Fulham for instance pass it consistently and frequently and their Keepers had far higher passing accuracies than Frank Fielding because its the team need. 

Looking at football in general its clear teams use a myriad of approaches, its not a game of 4-4-2 matching up v 4-4-2 anymore. And if your Keeper does not have a high technical ability the tactical flexibility of the team can only suffer.  

I would ask him to roll it out to the fall backs because of his distribution, him kicking to the bylines was an instruction from the head coach, 

3 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

I would ask him to roll it out to the fall backs because of his distribution, him kicking to the bylines was an instruction from the head coach, 

Even if it was a instruction he should be able to do it? Not hard. What's training for all week. 

1 hour ago, Monkeh said:

what points did he cost us?, his mistake? what about flint pretending to be a striker which caused frankie to get a red card in the first place?

Frankie won us far more points then he cost us, his only issue is his distribution and then he's the 8th best keeper in terms of distribution in the league

Hull, Preston, wolves, Barnsley all points he cost us at the top of my head.

FF was solely responsible for the red card against wolves. 

If you thinking or go by stats that make FF the 8th best keeper for distrubution you must be mad. Stats don't tell the whole story! 

19 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Edt- No idea how much we got for Engvall, seems not to be included on the incoming.

If I was having a guess, I'd suggest in cash terms our current profit on transfer business this summer, purely cash  terms £8-9m at this stage.

Because it was nothing? We are probably committed to pay at least some of his wages for the rest of our contract, too.

Once we take the Flint sell on into account and assume the reported £5m (up front rising to £7m based on unspecified clauses) is correct, I reckon we are about £6m up on the summer transfer fees so far.

19 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Because it was nothing? We are probably committed to pay at least some of his wages for the rest of our contract, too.

Once we take the Flint sell on into account and assume the reported £5m (up front rising to £7m based on unspecified clauses) is correct, I reckon we are about £6m up on the summer transfer fees so far.

Probably a free transfer or a nominal fee tbh- so as good as nothing.

Yep, sell-on means we're probably as you say £6m up so far.

20 hours ago, Spoons said:

No but I would have signed a keeper first. I'm happy with the signings already made.

But why does it matter if new goalkeeper comes in first or last? If he's added to the squad he's in the squad. What benefit is it you add a goalkeeper specifically first?

Should we have told other players we're looking at signing and have signed to hold off because we need to get the goalkeeper through the door first? It makes no sense. 

3 hours ago, Trueredsupporte said:

Often fifty per cent of the time he kicked it went to the opposition. if it was an outfield player??? that is all errors. City spend beans on keepers and it shows.

Wasn't there something on here that said his pass distribution was one of the highest in the league? Also its johnson that tells him to kick wide, maybe we should just coach him better? 

City spend beans on managers and it shows.

1 hour ago, Spoons said:

Hull, Preston, wolves, Barnsley all points he cost us at the top of my head.

FF was solely responsible for the red card against wolves. 

If you thinking or go by stats that make FF the 8th best keeper for distrubution you must be mad. Stats don't tell the whole story! 

What the 5-5 at hull which was a result of school boy defending not down to fielding,

wolves was because we got caught out at the back pushing for a goal hardly fielding fault

and the stats do tell the whole story it’s just that you don’t like him which is blatantly obvious 

I keep seeing complaints about Fielding's distribution. I only get to see a few games a season but we had a number on Sky last season so I got to see a few and one of the things I noticed when Steele was playing was how much we missed Fielding's ability to distribute the ball. He might not be perfect but from what I saw he was significantly better than Steele, so I'd guess that for the level we are at he is not bad.

I'm certainly not saying there aren't better goalkeepers out there, and I think it's safe to say we'll sign one, having let Steele and the Austrian lad (completely forgotten his name) go, but I don't think Fielding's distribution is the liability it's made out to be, at least not from the games I've seen.

32 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

What the 5-5 at hull which was a result of school boy defending not down to fielding,

wolves was because we got caught out at the back pushing for a goal hardly fielding fault

and the stats do tell the whole story it’s just that you don’t like him which is blatantly obvious 

Two goals were his fault against hull. Watch the goals again if you can't remember!!

The only problem I have with Frankie is consistency with his distribution. Some of his errors may have cost us points but he's also saved us points. I'm not saying he's a great keeper but he's good enough for this league although I do admit to calling him fragile Frankie give the number of games he has miss through injury.

Thing is do we spend big bucks on an upgrade or bring in someone with potential who may be good enough if ff is injured or suspended.

Archived