IGNORED

Croatia v. England - Official Matchday Thread

CyderInACan

England in the semifinals . Last time 1990 when we were so close. Absolutely gutting for those who can remember. 

Going to be a really tough game against a very good Croatia side .

But we have a hell of a chance to get to the final. Already feeling nervous.

Im going 2-1 England after extra time. I really hope the young generation don’t have to go through the heartbreak I felt 28 years ago . 

Come on England . :englandflag::englandflag::englandflag:

I honestly think this is the biggest game of my 26 year life. I'm quite nervous about this game and think it could be a tricky one. If we win the midfield battle, we'll win the game. Sadly I'm in Turkmenistan watching the game so have to struggle with Russian commentary. I'm tempted to fly to Moscow for the final but only have a one entry visa!

After the German's fluky free kick goal in 1990 and Maradona's "hand of God" in 1986 I just hope that we get a fair rub of the green tonight.

Think it is too close to call and Croatia have some excellent players and a strong midfield. Croatia will have a lot of the ball, probably dominate possession and  be in control for long periods, so we will need to be patient and disciplined. We might not get many chances so set pieces could again be crucial and the best opportunities cold be by hitting them on the break, in which case Sterling's pace could be important - just hope the chances don't fall to him though! :)

Is this the official matchday thread then? :chant6ez:

I must say Gareth Southgate has been brilliant. His ethos and man management have been second to none. This England team is just that, a team. And teamwork in football (and life) goes a long way. They look like they would die for each other.

We have talent, passion and belief. If we lack anything, it's perhaps a little bit of defensive nous on the field. 

It will be a tense game for sure. And for the first time since 2010 I actually feel something for the team. 

I say good riddance to Rooney and all those other big names who consistently failed us for tournament after tournament.

15 minutes ago, DaveInSA said:

I must say Gareth Southgate has been brilliant. His ethos and man management have been second to none. This England team is just that, a team. And teamwork in football (and life) goes a long way. They look like they would die for each other.

We have talent, passion and belief. If we lack anything, it's perhaps a little bit of defensive nous on the field. 

It will be a tense game for sure. And for the first time since 2010 I actually feel something for the team. 

I say good riddance to Rooney and all those other big names who consistently failed us for tournament after tournament.

Done well and was destroyed on otib as an uninspiring yes man who shouldn't play Henderson and Stones!!!! 

I'd say we're the better side everywhere apart from midfield. Modric and Rakitic are two of the best centre midfielders in the world now, Brozivic, Perisic and Kovacic also very good players.

That said, Alli can be brilliant and is probably due a strong perforance. Lingard is a potential match winner - the sort of player who pops up with a bit of magic. A quiet game against Sweden hopefully means he produces tonight. Henderson being fit is also crucial, we'll need his steel and experience tonight.

Other than midfield I'd say we're far stronger. I've seen Kane perform very well against Lovren multiple times and Sterling's pace will also worry him. I fancy one of those two to score tonight.

They don't have a great deal in attack, Mandzukic is a a good player and also very experienced - but I think he plays to the strengths of our defence. I'd fancy Maguire to beat him in the air, Stones to intercept ground passes into him and obviously Walker is far quicker. 

It really depends whether we can contain their midfield and how they deal with our set pieces.

I would make us favourites tonight, but it won't be an easy game. Optimistically predicting 3-1 to England - Croatia's two recent extra time runs tiring them out early around the 60 min mark.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

I was more nervous waiting to play Sweden, probably as they had a decent record against us.

Not sure if that a good thing or not..............:dunno:

I think people get a bit caught up on this. Football is very different to a sport like Tennis or Boxing where styles of individuals making contests, even for a stronger player, harder. Football is so transient and teams will change personnel, tactics and style every few years. I don't think one team's record over another counts for a great deal - especially when measured over a number of years and especially in an international context.

Perhaps it’s because I’m 61 and watched England win the World Cup (on our tv) in 1966, or just because I can keep cooler than Danny Wilson and Gareth Southgate combined, but I never understand why people feel nervous hours before the game begins. It’s great to be excited, but take a deep breath and go with the flow. 

1 minute ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Perhaps it’s because I’m 61 and watched England win the World Cup (on our tv) in 1966, or just because I can keep cooler than Danny Wilson and Gareth Southgate combined, but I never understand why people feel nervous hours before the game begins. It’s great to be excited, but take a deep breath and go with the flow. 

It's probably that. For lots of us, all we've known is disappointment with England. It's even bigger today because this wasn't even a fancied England side before the tournament began. I think most people were expecting Quarter Finals at best.

I don't feel nervous yet but definitely will an hour or so before the game.

28 minutes ago, Three Lions said:

Done well and was destroyed on otib as an uninspiring yes man who shouldn't play Henderson and Stones!!!! 

OTIB destroying a newly appointed manager who is seen as a yes man?

Can't believe that would ever happen - and certainly not twice!

4 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

It's probably that. For lots of us, all we've known is disappointment with England. It's even bigger today because this wasn't even a fancied England side before the tournament began. I think most people were expecting Quarter Finals at best.

I don't feel nervous yet but definitely will an hour or so before the game.

Don’t think it is PF !!!

I just remember 66 but 70 onwards and I’ve got worse !!!! :blush:

Talk about suffering with City and England over the years !!!!  :laughcont:

My stomach is churning already and always has and always will , before any big City game and any particularly any England Tournament game 

:bonkers:

52 minutes ago, DaveInSA said:

In an odd way this team almost feels like club football compared to the normal feeling I’ve had for the England team over the recent years. I’ll hold my hand up and admit I thought Southgate was the safe/easy appointment and I saw him as weak. What I’ve read about him recently about the totally professional and caring person he is has certainly made me change my opinion and would want to apologise. 

We might not make it this time, maybe our squad is a little too young regarding experience compared to who we would be up against either today or in the final..but maybe that’s what will get them through. Sometimes having lost big finals creates nerves maybe?

Croatia v England

Date: Wednesday, 11 July (19:00 BST). Venue: Luzhniki Stadium, Moscow

Coverage: Listen on BBC Radio 5 live, with live text commentary online

Football is sold to the world as fun. As colour, as sunshine, as joy. Football is sold as winning.

Football is experienced as doubt. Football is watched feeling sick. It is wishing matches finished, wanting to walk out of a stadium even as you've been desperate to be there, being convinced that the most heartbreaking possible scenario is the most likely thing to pass.

And usually it does. Football is about losing. Only one team can win a league. Thirty-two teams went to the World Cup; 31 will go home wondering what if.

The idea England might be the exception both to that rule and to a torturous history of defeat, pain and regrets still feels extraordinary. It also feels dangerous, because while football is also about being powerless to prevent something awful happening to something that matters to you so much, it is equally about being convinced that even a thought or stray sentence could instantly summon disaster.

Any neutral watching England 2-0 up against Sweden could tell they were not going to lose. Many England fans were convinced that remarking "we're the better team here" to the person next to them would be to guarantee an immediate Swedish goal.

It is why being 1-0 down can often be more relaxing than being 1-0 up. What's the worst that can happen now the worst thing is already happening?

And so you lie to yourself. We're just going to enjoy the occasion. It's only sport. I didn't expect us to win anyway.

You tuck yourself behind established beliefs. England are an embarrassment at big tournaments. England don't win penalty shootouts. English footballers are spoiled, selfish and out of touch with those who help fund their crazy wages.

Hope is a delusion. Dreaming is for night-time. Football is disappointment.

You know all this is true. You also know what football can do for you. It makes you leap around and grab your friends around the neck and roar at each other's faces from inches away. It makes you jump on the back of strangers. It makes you feel the same way at exactly the same time as millions of people you will never meet.

You stay with football because of the possibility of all this. You keep daydreaming because of the little part of you that doesn't consider this a dream at all. You tell other people not to look beyond the next game and then do exactly that.

Because football can change. You miss a penalty and then the other team miss two. You go further into a tournament than you have in more than a quarter of a century and look up to see the big boys all gone. You listen to the players and read their social media and you find yourself seeing shared characteristics and people you like.

And when football changes, we change with it. From shouting at defenders to get rid of it, to lump it long when the press comes on, to contentedly watching them keep hold and play it out. From worrying which unheralded opposition player will be the bogeyman this time to relishing the world waking up to Kieran Trippier and Harry Maguire. From avoiding deathless England friendlies and their endless substitutions and meaningless results to wishing the next game was here now and being able to name Gareth Southgate's first-choice team in a single breath.

One of the few lasting bequests of London 2012, a sporting carnival where too many big races now have asterisks next to them, was that sense - for a nation that spends so much time reflexively looking backwards - of a vision of modern Britain that felt simultaneously new and familiar to every one of us.

It was there in the stories of the three stars of Super Saturday: Jessica Ennis-Hill, a mixed-race girl from Sheffield; Greg Rutherford, a lad whose great-grandfather played football for England over a century ago; Mo Farah, a boy who arrived in west London aged eight from east Africa to make the capital his home.

This is an England team that represents the England of 2018. The pale kid from Sunderland in goal, a midfielder from Milton Keynes with a Nigerian dad and English mum. Three big lads from south Yorkshire in defence, a striker born in Jamaica and raised in the scruffy part of west London. Another midfielder schooled in Lisbon, a superstar captain who learned on loan at Orient and Millwall.

There is an unreality to it all. A frozen, sodden winter when the rain never stopped, a summer that started early and lit up everything for weeks. Sunlit mornings, evenings watching football with the windows and doors open and daylight in the sky until all the celebrating is done. A team beaten by a nation of 330,000 at their last big tournament, gone after the group stages at the previous World Cup, careering into the semi-finals and enjoying every moment of it.

There are limitless reasons to fall out of love with football. The idiots you know even in the home end at your own club, the jingoism that snarls in the slipstream of national success. The price of shirts, the price of tickets, the booking fee for something bought in a microsecond from an automated page. The multiple satellite packages, the kick-offs before lunch and after Sunday tea-time, the money going to middlemen in a deal that didn't need them.

Then you think of the adrenalised peaks and emotional releases of the past three weeks, the scenes in front of big screens around the country, the pleasure of seeing your happiness reflected in the faces and moods of people you have almost nothing else in common with.

Only football can do this. England winning the rugby union World Cup brought enormous pleasure to vast numbers, the home Ashes triumph of 2005 giddy disbelief to those who had long grown used to Australian domination.

Yet neither touched as many distant corners as this World Cup. The peak television audience for the deeds of Michael Vaughan's team was 8.4 million; 15 million saw Jonny Wilkinson drop his goal. Andy Murray's first Wimbledon victory brought in 17.3m, and that was a win for Great Britain.

England's last-16 win over Colombia peaked at 23.6 million. Wednesday night's semi-final is likely to draw in yet more.

And you don't want any of it to end. Football is going to revert to type for two of the teams still left in this World Cup. It will go back to being about regret and dejection and what might have been.

For one team it will be something else. Colour, sunshine, joy.

Maybe it will all end here. Maybe, this once, it will not

1 hour ago, RUSSEL85 said:

Feeling positive about tonight but what ever happens I'm proud of the way we have played at this tournament. 

All of this squad are very highly paid and a few are very high profile footballers.

However, while their immediate predecessors - the so called "golden generation" - only seemed to fuel  cynicism, scepticism and resentment about the England team, Southgate and his players  have restored the nations pride in it's football team, whatever the outcome tonight or on Sunday, should we get though.

It is remarkable given that Southgate's appointment was not widely welcomed and that his background in club management as a failure. Also a year ago who would have thought that Lingard, Trippier, McGuire, Henderson and Young would be mainstays of a successful world cup campaign? 

Perhaps we spent too long thinking of England as one of the favourites going into tournaments, whereas this time around we went in thinking we had little chance of success, thereby becoming the underdogs  - a position that the English are much more comfortable with!

15 minutes ago, RedM said:

We might not make it this time, maybe our squad is a little too young regarding experience compared to who we would be up against either today or in the final..but maybe that’s what will get them through. Sometimes having lost big finals creates nerves maybe?

I do think that ‘inexperience’ helps regarding nerves and belief M

Think a big thing is there’s no obvious stars as such in dressing room (Maybe the exceptionally humble Kane) and all the players in that squad must feel all on an equal with no established ‘stars’ already in dressing room making them feel  inadequate , intimidated or in awe

Archived