IGNORED

Photo released of the man who nicks you at 34 in a 30 zone

oldstandrobin

Yeah, to be honest on this I agree with what has already been said by @Redinthehead. If you begin to slack on this is sets a dangerous precedent - if we allow (say) 34 then people will soon complain about not being allowed to go 35, 36 and 37. I think it's pretty important to keep standards on these things, not least because public safety is obviously a big concern, but because people don't appear to be able to be trusted when granted leeway in things like this.

I think that most people who dont drive too much think like RedintheHead. I have been a pro driver for many many years and its a shame there isnt a van to catch the real idiot drivers who overtake on double yellows, fly off roundabouts at supersonic speed, thats my beef, these are revenue getters , do not make the mistake of thinking they are not. I am all for road safety but lets catch the REAL CULPRITS.

47 minutes ago, oldstandrobin said:

I think that most people who dont drive too much think like RedintheHead. I have been a pro driver for many many years and its a shame there isnt a van to catch the real idiot drivers who overtake on double yellows, fly off roundabouts at supersonic speed, thats my beef, these are revenue getters , do not make the mistake of thinking they are not. I am all for road safety but lets catch the REAL CULPRITS.

They could start by filming all the delivery drivers working for FedEx, DPD etc. Then they could move on to the supermarket delivery drivers. Then the taxi drivers (one today parked in his minibus on double yellows in South Street in Exeter on his ******* phone while half the traffic in Devon is queued up trying to get by him)

I do 50k a year and these three categories cause twice as much trouble as the rest of the driving public combined.

22 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

They could start by filming all the delivery drivers working for FedEx, DPD etc. Then they could move on to the supermarket delivery drivers. Then the taxi drivers (one today parked in his minibus on double yellows in South Street in Exeter on his ******* phone while half the traffic in Devon is queued up trying to get by him)

I do 50k a year and these three categories cause twice as much trouble as the rest of the driving public combined.

stirred up a hornets nest here :badmood:

So many people i know these days are off to the speed awareness courses. I've been myself, was doing 35 in a 30. They said on the course we were lucky it was A&S constabulary, some other counties don't even let you get away with 1mph over the limit or offer the course as an alternative.

Wish they could enforce poor driving more so than minor speeding offences like that. See way more dangerous things from people being crap or aggressive drivers than i do from people barely speeding.

4 minutes ago, Gazred said:

So many people i know these days are off to the speed awareness courses. I've been myself, was doing 35 in a 30. They said on the course we were lucky it was A&S constabulary, some other counties don't even let you get away with 1mph over the limit or offer the course as an alternative.

Wish they could enforce poor driving more so than minor speeding offences like that. See way more dangerous things from people being crap or aggressive drivers than i do from people barely speeding.

Well said.

23 hours ago, BigTone said:

The law is the law and he's just doing his job

The law is the law.

But there has to be proportionality.

Why not fine drivers for doing 31 mph in a 30 zone?

How about 3 points for doing 30.1 mph. It is still against the law.

46 minutes ago, ... said:

The law is the law.

Lets have zero tolerance.........................and all go on the bus :laughcont:

7 hours ago, Undy English said:

Well said.

Agreed sir, have done 2 awareness courses ( well, I was a Taxi driver and we are completely insane ) and most on there were slightly like me over the speed limits, these vans are meant to operate where people do this and generate CASH, they dont roam the countryside and see as I have done the arseholes tailgating, thinking they are Stirling Moss, the young ladies ( sorry but have had numerous confrontations with these barbie dolls driving Chelsea Tractors) driving vehicles well above their competencies, the company car idiots in their B'mers late for appointments, they are the ones who need retraining. As I said without a good reply on one course ' if you are watching the speedo in a 30 or 20, who's watching the road and surroundings ? '

On 18/07/2018 at 17:52, oldstandrobin said:

I agree but they aren’t mutually exclusive. All of the examples above should also be fined. However, they aren’t as simple to determine as a speed is - so how would you enforce this? 

On 18/07/2018 at 17:54, oldstandrobin said:

and while were on it, what about the HGV's that use the middle lane to take 3 miles to pass another HGV and rack up frustrated drivers behind them, not my quote but a paramedic who works the M5 between WSM and Bridgwater.

Loved a patch of motorway (think it was duel carriageway motorway) where HGV's could only overtake outside of 7am - 7pm, otherwise weren't allowed to overtake and the other lane was clear.

16 hours ago, ... said:

The law is the law.

You have to draw a line somewhere. Why not just drive at the speed limit ?

8 hours ago, BigTone said:

You have to draw a line somewhere. Why not just drive at the speed limit ?

BECAUSE YOU CAN'T DRIVE STARING AT THE SPEEDO.

:punish:

Who is safer? Someone driving at 29 mph, not looking at the road; or someone driving at an illegal 31 mph, observing who is in front of them?

Association of Chief Police Officers used to permit limit +10 percent + 2 mph as a fair tolerance of exceeding.

What next? Fining 'litter louts' before the toffee paper actually reaches the floor??

FFS - I thought you were intelligent.

:disapointed2se:

46 minutes ago, ... said:

Who is safer? Someone driving at 29 mph, not looking at the road; or someone driving at an illegal 31 mph, observing who is in front of them?

Association of Chief Police Officers used to permit limit +10 percent + 2 mph as a fair tolerance of exceeding.

What next? Fining 'litter louts' before the toffee paper actually reaches the floor??

Knob.jpg

On ‎19‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 17:36, oldstandrobin said:

Agreed sir, have done 2 awareness courses ( well, I was a Taxi driver and we are completely insane ) and most on there were slightly like me over the speed limits, these vans are meant to operate where people do this and generate CASH, they dont roam the countryside and see as I have done the arseholes tailgating, thinking they are Stirling Moss, the young ladies ( sorry but have had numerous confrontations with these barbie dolls driving Chelsea Tractors) driving vehicles well above their competencies, the company car idiots in their B'mers late for appointments, they are the ones who need retraining. As I said without a good reply on one course ' if you are watching the speedo in a 30 or 20, who's watching the road and surroundings ? '

Anyone on a speed awareness course would only ever be slightly over the limit as the courses are only offered under those circumstances. I cant remember the exact cut off, but I'm pretty sure if you are caught doing 40mph in a 30mph zone you will not be offered the course.

I speak as a veteran of 3 courses!

42 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Anyone on a speed awareness course would only ever be slightly over the limit as the courses are only offered under those circumstances. I cant remember the exact cut off, but I'm pretty sure if you are caught doing 40mph in a 30mph zone you will not be offered the course.

I speak as a veteran of 3 courses!

It depends on the county I think. I got done for doing 41 in a 30 in Dorset and was able to go on one rather than get fined and points. It was on a rural road though rather than in a built up area so whether they considered that or not who knows?

2 hours ago, ... said:

tools-back-at-places-notice-sign-s-2407.png

Some people simply cannot understand context.

There is no driver out there who has never speeded by even the smallest amount.

By this guys logic we should all have points and fines.

Not condoning speeding - but is doing 1 mph over the limit 'speeding' in the spirit of the law.

How about giving points to people driving too slowly??

Archived