IGNORED

This summer - a mini '76?

Erithacus

Seeing as there appears to be a large proportion of older duffers on here, who remembers the great summer (drought) of 1976?:sun:

I recall (old duffer that I am) that the previous year's winter was particularly mild, allowing the greenfly population to explode in 1975. The long summer of 1976 was remarkable for a massive population of...ladybirds! No-one could have an ice cream without having to flick the little red beetles off first.  :noexp:

Of course, the lands round 'yer were burnt to a pale yellow for ages and cracks appeared in the ground big enough to hide an arm in. Crops withered, fires spread in open areas and firefighters used beaters as much as they could. Roads melted, trains lines buckled and sun hats had their best ever sales. Water was rationed, people urged to bathe together.:hug:

Yes, it was the summer that almost never ended. :sweatingbullets:

I'm one of those older duffers who rembers 1976 very well indeed. It was the year I was studying for my final exams but got little revision done due to the gorgeous weather. Fortunately I managed to pass them despite being pissed most of that summer. I've still got some old photos from back then.

There was a hose pipe ban but one guy nearby had lovely lush lawn which was very blantant with everywhere being so parched. Everyone thought he'd been watering the grass overnight.

I took the trouble to ask him what he'd been doing and he said that he'd saved all the tea and bath water along with washing up water to put on the grass. A very simple explanation where everybody  thought he'd been a cheating bastard.........if only people didn't jump to conclusions..............:disapointed2se:

12 hours ago, Erithacus said:

Seeing as there appears to be a large proportion of older duffers on here, who remembers the great summer (drought) of 1976?:sun:

I recall (old duffer that I am) that the previous year's winter was particularly mild, allowing the greenfly population to explode in 1975. The long summer of 1976 was remarkable for a massive population of...ladybirds! No-one could have an ice cream without having to flick the little red beetles off first.  :noexp:

Of course, the lands round 'yer were burnt to a pale yellow for ages and cracks appeared in the ground big enough to hide an arm in. Crops withered, fires spread in open areas and firefighters used beaters as much as they could. Roads melted, trains lines buckled and sun hats had their best ever sales. Water was rationed, people urged to bathe together.:hug:

Yes, it was the summer that almost never ended. :sweatingbullets:

On course to be worse (better), depending on your stance.

What a bastard Donald Trump is.

13 hours ago, Erithacus said:

Ah the glorious summer of 76... In the village of Grompton Goodwillie, there was one old duffer by the name of Ralph Flangesprocket, bit of an odd fellow. Never bothered flicking the ladybirds off his ice cream. And he was rather keen on sharing a bath even if the other person wasn't, if you know what I mean? And as for those cracks in the ground, well, there were some big enough to hide more than an arm in ...

Yes, it was the summer that almost never ended.

It did for old Ralph Flangesprocket...

This has been Ray Badbury bringing you another Tale of the Terrible. Sleep well, my fiends...

5 hours ago, Robbored said:

I'm one of those older duffers who rembers 1976 very well indeed. It was the year I was studying for my final exams but got little revision done due to the gorgeous weather. Fortunately I managed to pass them despite being pissed most of that summer. I've still got some old photos from back then.

There was a hose pipe ban but one guy nearby had lovely lush lawn which was very blantant with everywhere being so parched. Everyone thought he'd been watering the grass overnight.

I took the trouble to ask him what he'd been doing and he said that he'd saved all the tea and bath water along with washing up water to put on the grass. A very simple explanation where everybody  thought he'd been a cheating bastard.........if only people didn't jump to conclusions..............:disapointed2se:

Nah, not having that ! Burn the *** !:P

6 hours ago, Robbored said:

I took the trouble to ask him what he'd been doing and he said that he'd saved all the tea and bath water along with washing up water to put on the grass. 

Not sure I believe that....

If he was putting all his washing up water and bath water (hopefully that had been shared with a friend btw) onto his lawn - what the heck did he use to make frothy coffee with?  

Best froth ever seen on a coffee when made with the right diluted blend of Radox,  Soap/Pope on a Rope and a dash of Squeezy. washing up liquid..…  we didn't waste a drop of water back in the summer if '76. 

If he'd peed his into a watering can after enjoying his coffee he could have had lovely rose bushes as well as green grass like ours... Bloody amateur effort on his part that. 

No one remarked then about Global Warming. We just congratulated ourselves on such a glorious Summer. Odd thing is, some cricket games were abandoned on June 1st due to snow on the pitch!

The reason for the boom in the ladybird population is because the eat greenfly. So plenty of greenfly in 75 meant lots of food for young ladybirds who then produced their own offspring giving us the glut of LBs in 76.

Archived