IGNORED

Reading v Derby

Bainsey

I know it was on the telly but 16,000-odd is a pitiful attendance, especially as around 2,000 of those came down from Derby which is hugely commendable effort for a Friday night.

I know they had a dismal season last year but they were within an ace of the Prem 18 months ago. Very poor for the Reading “faithful”.

1 hour ago, Ska Junkie said:

Derby look very disjointed, to be expected I suppose.

Whether Reading are playing well or Derby are poor I haven't quite worked out but there's nothing I've seen to worry us at this very early stage.

It's not them you need to worry about, in my experience with football it's usually us we need to worry about.

Derby have a good squad but an expectant and demanding fan base. Lampard’s an intelligent, likeable man with the right intsincts, apparently concerned to play open, attacking football, and he should command respect in the dressing room. But he does not look to have the ability or experience to organise a strong defensive unit- at times tonight Derby were a shambles at the back. Early days, obviously, but the best outcome is probably a sort of Kevin Keegan Mark 2. More likely to end in tears by February.

• Admin

I though he gave a fairly honest appraisal of the game and his teams performance after the match, it’s hardly his fault the media have hyped his appointment so much.  How many people have a totally error free day on their first day in a new job?

He seems pretty determined to succeed and whilst I certainly don’t wish to see Derby above us, I wish him well in his role, comes across as a real football man, trying to make the not too easy step from iconic Player to successful Manager.

6 hours ago, Bedred31 said:

Derby have a good squad but an expectant and demanding fan base. Lampard’s an intelligent, likeable man with the right intsincts, apparently concerned to play open, attacking football, and he should command respect in the dressing room. But he does not look to have the ability or experience to organise a strong defensive unit- at times tonight Derby were a shambles at the back. Early days, obviously, but the best outcome is probably a sort of Kevin Keegan Mark 2. More likely to end in tears by February.

There aren’t many easy games in the championship and I think Reading will spend most of the season in the bottom half.

Lampard should have took a job in league 1 to learn his trade, a lot less pressure. 

• Admin
47 minutes ago, swanker said:

There aren’t many easy games in the championship and I think Reading will spend most of the season in the bottom half.

Lampard should have took a job in league 1 to learn his trade, a lot less pressure. 

Hasn’t here been a few examples of ex players who have only ever played at the top level (or at least the majority of their career) struggling if they drop too far down the leagues to manage, as the quality of the players and the set ups are so far removed from  their career experience of the Premier League.

1 hour ago, swanker said:

Given who he is there would be pressure on him in any league. I like the bloke.

13 minutes ago, Super said:

Given who he is there would be pressure on him in any league. I like the bloke.

You might like him but Derby are playing Leeds at home next week. They won’t worry too much about his personality or what he’s achieved as a player, they’ll be going for three points. 

Lets see how he’s doing after about 10 games. 

Welcome to the championship!

1 hour ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Hasn’t here been a few examples of ex players who have only ever played at the top level (or at least the majority of their career) struggling if they drop too far down the leagues to manage, as the quality of the players and the set ups are so far removed from  their career experience of the Premier League.

A ex Derby manager springs to mind. Brian Clough!

38 minutes ago, swanker said:

You might like him but Derby are playing Leeds at home next week. They won’t worry too much about his personality or what he’s achieved as a player, they’ll be going for three points. 

Lets see how he’s doing after about 10 games. 

Welcome to the championship!

Better than us is my prediction.

Archived