IGNORED

Leaving & Returning at half time

Simon79

There are logistical reasons to keep fans in while the game is in progress, and I can accept that it's tricky to let people out while things might be busy around the ground.

However, the stewards should have planned adequately for situations like these. There is no excuse whatsoever to not allow someone whose kid is suffering to leave the stadium and re-enter, especially if it is an isolated incident. 

It indicates one of two things: either the steward doesn't have adequate training to perform a fairly-basic service to a paying customer and requires additional training, or the club needs to sort out its own procedures to make the ground more habitable for those that need help.

Either way, I'd definitely go to the press over it, either Bristol247 or the Evening Post.

5 minutes ago, EnderMB said:

There are logistical reasons to keep fans in while the game is in progress, and I can accept that it's tricky to let people out while things might be busy around the ground.

However, the stewards should have planned adequately for situations like these. There is no excuse whatsoever to not allow someone whose kid is suffering to leave the stadium and re-enter, especially if it is an isolated incident. 

It indicates one of two things: either the steward doesn't have adequate training to perform a fairly-basic service to a paying customer and requires additional training, or the club needs to sort out its own procedures to make the ground more habitable for those that need help.

Either way, I'd definitely go to the press over it, either Bristol247 or the Evening Post.

Personal opinion is that there is a high variability in the quality/common sense/experience of stewards depending on stands or any given day.

Bit of a lottery almost.

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Personal opinion is that there is a high variability in the quality/common sense/experience of stewards depending on stands or any given day.

Bit of a lottery almost.

Yes, you do need to find a steward who has lights on.

21 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Bit of a lottery almost.

Absolutely, although I'd also throw a lack of empathy in there for good measure. Some people know exactly what they're doing, but they don't care because the job is hard enough and they'd rather not deal with someones problems.

17 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

I've left a game 20 minute in due to a family emergency the steward said on my way out that i couldn't return, this was in 2004 sp I don't think its a new policy 

This is it- it's nothing new at all.

Overall for specific cases they should make allowances IMO. Dare say yours would have fallen into that category.

On 04/08/2018 at 20:44, RedLionLad said:

They were also checking tickets on the concourse steps just seconds after people had used them to gain entry through the turnstiles.

What's all that about?

To make sure that you are going into the correct block, to avoid overcrowding. Obvious really.

On 04/08/2018 at 20:47, RedM said:

I’m not a smoker, but what are the arrangements for smoking these days? You have to go outside to smoke don’t you and are allowed back in again.

The lane running along the back of the Dolman Stand is always available for smokers, or you would be allowed to go outside at half time.

8 minutes ago, myol'man said:

The lane running along the back of the Dolman Stand is always available for smokers, or you would be allowed to go outside at half time.

Have to say Fair play  to the Club they don’t do a bad job accommodating and looking after smokers and vapers

22 minutes ago, myol'man said:

To make sure that you are going into the correct block, to avoid overcrowding. Obvious really.

.....and if you don't have your ticket on you?

.....and not to mention the trouble it causes at the bottom of the steps when everyone has to stop and search for the tickets they've just put away safely.

2 hours ago, RedLionLad said:

.....and if you don't have your ticket on you?

.....and not to mention the trouble it causes at the bottom of the steps when everyone has to stop and search for the tickets they've just put away safely.

If you don't have your ticket on you..........how did you get in?

If you've put your ticket away...............get it out again! 

44 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Most of it I can get- people will and do.

I don't see how you can fiddle a hand stamp though. People are ingenious but that's surely one pretty foolproof solution?

A returnable token? 

...or hand over your ticket?

It's not too difficult to do, surely?

1 hour ago, myol'man said:

If you don't have your ticket on you..........how did you get in?

If you've put your ticket away...............get it out again! 

1) My ticket, along with my lad's is given to my wife after going through the turnstiles.

2) After gaining entry through a foolproof barrier system, why should anyone have to show the ticket again to someone which then causes a crowd to form.

If people know where they are going, they shouldn't need to show their ticket to a part-time steward every game. Save that for people who need instructions for everything they do.

5 minutes ago, RedLionLad said:

1) My ticket, along with my lad's is given to my wife after going through the turnstiles.

2) After gaining entry through a foolproof barrier system, why should anyone have to show the ticket again to someone which then causes a crowd to form.

If people know where they are going, they shouldn't need to show their ticket to a part-time steward every game. Save that for people who need instructions for everything they do.

Bearing in mind that you can since the rebuild enter the home areas from all 3 stands...

If you are in the 'Singing Section' then from memory it's been a subject discussed on here before.

Essentially tickets in that area are checked to make sure people who shouldn't be in there, aren't.

Unsure where else in the ground they would be checking it tbh.

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

If you are in the 'Singing Section' then from memory it's been a subject discussed on here before.

Essentially tickets in that area are checked to make sure people who shouldn't be in there, aren't.

Unsure where else in the ground they would be checking it tbh.

That bit I fully understand the reason for.

There's no need to do it anywhere else.

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Agreed on that then.

Seems odd they should be checking it in the Lansdown.

By previous comments on here I Think there’s been quite a few buying tickets for South Stand and then sliding into a seat in Lansdown which is why tickets are sometimes checked there

15 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

By previous comments on here I Think there’s been quite a few buying tickets for South Stand and then sliding into a seat in Lansdown which is why tickets are sometimes checked there

A pal of mine tried that last season as a couple of our occasional exiled visitors had seats there and was sent away with a flea in his ear so I don`t think you`re too far away from the truth mate.

2 hours ago, The Horse With No Name said:

It’s s little worrying that these stewards are so busy checking tickets that so many people are getting into the stands with pints of beer. Saturday was ridiculous. 

Loads of new staff, first game of the season etc

Just now, The Horse With No Name said:

Maybe they need some of the old staff back !!!!!!!!

Truth is, experienced stewards are generally good stewards.

Like with many, most jobs, experience tends to correlate with quality, application of common sense etc.

Just look at the trouble West Ham have had post the move from Upton Park. A decent chunk of that was a load of stewards suited to dealing with athletics crowds, concerts etc, whereas the experienced West Ham stewards who had done it for years from Upton Park? Not so many brought along, their experience downgraded, ignored etc.

Archived