IGNORED

Leaving & Returning at half time

Simon79

Hi Guys & Gals. Elliott was really bothered at the game today, to the point he wanted to leave after 15 minutes. I’m sure it was the noise element ( he has sensory issues) that upset him after scoring such an early goal & being the first game of the season. Something I thought we had overcome during last season, to the point we didn’t take his ear defenders with us today. So we spent the rest of the first half in the concourse. Anyway, my point is that during halftime we were thinking of going to Wickes & getting Elliott some. But the steward/security told us we would not be allowed back in if we leave the premises. I explained firmly the reasons for leaving etc, but he wasn’t having any of it. But couldn’t give me a reason, apart from “it’s the same for everyone” & “your ticket has been used”.  So has anyone else had this problem? Can anyone give me a reason for this? ( or am I being an overprotective dad?). It just stank of a lack of common sense. Genuinely interested in other people’s thoughts & perspectives on this. Thanks in advance. COYR 

9 minutes ago, Simon79 said:

Hi Guys & Gals. Elliott was really bothered at the game today, to the point he wanted to leave after 15 minutes. I’m sure it was the noise element ( he has sensory issues) that upset him after scoring such an early goal & being the first game of the season. Something I thought we had overcome during last season, to the point we didn’t take his ear defenders with us today. So we spent the rest of the first half in the concourse. Anyway, my point is that during halftime we were thinking of going to Wickes & getting Elliott some. But the steward/security told us we would not be allowed back in if we leave the premises. I explained firmly the reasons for leaving etc, but he wasn’t having any of it. But couldn’t give me a reason, apart from “it’s the same for everyone” & “your ticket has been used”.  So has anyone else had this problem? Can anyone give me a reason for this? ( or am I being an overprotective dad?). It just stank of a lack of common sense. Genuinely interested in other people’s thoughts & perspectives on this. Thanks in advance. COYR 

Disgraceful treatment, have stewards got no common sense or empathy? I would take it up with the club.

Something @Matt Parsons BCFCSLO should be aware of I think. 

Personally I would have asked to see the Stewards supervisor for clarity, maybe the Steward was new ( there were new ones) and   following instructions rather than common sense?

And no, you are not being an over protective Dad. Just using better judgement to parent than the Steward did.

5 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Disgraceful treatment, have stewards got no common sense or empathy? I would take it up with the club.

I imagine the same rules apply to clubs as they do for baseball bats or any other offensive weapons, so I wouldn't recommend that course of action...  (joking of course :) )

Useless stewarding though, a perfect opportunity to 'go the extra mile' and create some good PR … not great at all from him :punish: and I'm sure anyone with any authority in the club from Ashton down would be saddened to hear this.... Let 'em know!

8 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Didn't you ask another steward? I had to leave the ground last season and they let me back in no problem. Maybe its just that one steward being a tit.

Yeah, two separate stewards were asked. No reason given, other than already put in my first post. COYR 

Unbelievable lack of basic common sense

Even a ‘ Yes mate , your not meant to but if you come back to this entrance Ill make sure you get back in ‘

Not Difficult is it 

Jobsworths with no common sense or bravery to make a simple decision agains ‘policy’

Id write to the Club personally

I assumed within reason the Club would do any5hing to help any fan with any illness / vulnerability / disablement 

Especially as the whole league are backing and promoting MIND

Bewildering 

Jobsworths end of, personally I don’t think they have any right to tell you when and where you can or can’t go, you’ve paid for a ticket for an event and have every right to do as you please, what do they do when a car alarm is going off and announce it over the tannoy as they have done previously, do they refuse them entry back in aswell? I think not.

3 minutes ago, Abingdon Red said:

Sounds like rubbish and also potentially breaking disability law too.  If someone's car is causing an issue I assume they are allowed back in after sorting that out?

That’s one of the questions I thought of. COYR 

I once inadvertently left some medication in the car ( Frayne Rd) so 5 mins away, Explained situation to steward but no if's no buts leave to get it and you can't get back in....no reason given just parroting the rule over and over.

I'm sure if someone in authority or a director was aware they'd say of course it's ok .

So it's down to poor training.

11 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

I once inadvertently left some medication in the car ( Frayne Rd) so 5 mins away, Explained situation to steward but no if's no buts leave to get it and you can't get back in....no reason given just parroting the rule over and over.

I'm sure if someone in authority or a director was aware they'd say of course it's ok .

So it's down to poor training.

That’s potentially dangerous, I certainly would not have taken no for an answer and gone to the Head Steward, safety officer or anyone else I could have found. You had medication for a reason and they wanted to take that gamble? Crazy.

I did go to concert a week ago and was given a wristband on entry and was told if I did leave I couldn’t get back in. But each and every person was being told that, and it’s not like the concert had your details unlike the club with ST’s. 

In 2014 season my registration number got read out as apparently I was causing an obstruction, I tried to leave to move my van but was told I wouldn't be able to come back in , I kicked up a shitstorm and thanks to a young steward got back in.  Sadly it seems nothing has changed.  Take it up with the media department m8, this is ludicrous. 

Turning away from the specific circumstances, not being able to get a “pass out” generally is a bit of a pain. What if you arrive early, need to visit the toilets, but then pop into the shop? Can’t be done, as far as I can see.

The only reason I can see is that they need to prevent one ticket being used twice - eg for one person to get in and smuggle the ticket out so a second can use it. But if a steward ensures the ticket holder goes out with the ticket, I can’t see why reeentry can’t be allowed.

My son was ill at a game once and wanted to go home early in the 1st half. So i got my wife to come down and park on Ashton road, i then left the ground to put him in the car and then went back to the game. The stewards were fine with it. Suppose it just depends who you ask.

Reading this thread I suddenly recalled that going to the turnstile today a steward let someone OUT who was on his mobile trying to 'guide' someone to where he was.

Do I think that fella did not get re-admitted once he met up with the others in his party? Of course not.

Raise merry hell mate with the club - utterly ridiculous.

Even if there was a policy in place saying people could not be readmitted if they left at half time, it is highly likely the club would be in breach of the 2010 Equality Act by failing to make a reasonable adjustment in the case of your son. Implementing a policy that disproportionately disadvantages disabled people and continuing to enforce it despite knowing a disabled people is disadvantaged by it is what is known as "indirect discrimination" under the Act. There is a bit more of an explanation if here:

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/law-and-courts/discrimination/what-are-the-different-types-of-discrimination/indirect-discrimination/

It may well be the steward was not trained properly or was not aware of the club's responsibilities under the Equality Act but I would write to the club and explain what happened, explain that it is in breach of the 2010 Equality Act and ask the club to ensure they have a clear policy and that stewards are briefed on when to make reasonable exceptions.

Feel free to PM me if you want any help with what to put in a letter. 

1 hour ago, chinapig said:

Write to Steve L marking the envelope Private & Confidential. I did it once following an issue with the club shop and got a very polite, prompt response along with a refund from the man himself.

4 minutes ago, RedM said:

I’m not a smoker, but what are the arrangements for smoking these days? You have to go outside to smoke don’t you and are allowed back in again.

Yes that’s fine, but pretty sure the OP wanted to leave the grounds of AG altogether and then back in. No different imo.

Last season for the Preston night game I had to move my car from the KFC/retail park car park as I didn't fancy risking a £100 fine, so moved it to Sainsburys at half time, came back in and saw loads of others also re-entering the stadium  grounds, would have not been too happy if I hadn't been let in, it didn't even cross my mind that not being allowed back in could even happen..

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Even a ‘ Yes mate , your not meant to but if you come back to this entrance Ill make sure you get back in ‘

Not Difficult is it 

Jobsworths with no common sense or bravery to make a simple decision agains ‘policy’

I assumed within reason the Club would do any5hing to help any fan with any illness / vulnerability / disablement 

Bewildering 

Exactly. On the flip side of this, a positive story that relate to your post I highlighted. Me & Elliott sit up in the Lansdown stand W12 & our seats are very close to one of the entrances into the Lansdown suite entrances. Now Elliott does need to use the disabled facilities a few times during the match, the nearest disabled toilet is down towards the shop in the concourse  ( I think, happy to be corrected ). This in itself would take us at least 10 minutes or so. But the security guard on the Lansdown suite door has always let us use the disabled toilet which is yards away from where we sit. Even though we do not have a wrist band for entry. This is exactly the common sense approach you mention. It may not seem a lot, but it makes our whole match day experience so much easier. COYR 

2 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Not Difficult is it 

Bewildering 

Hi everyone. I’ve messaged @Matt Parsons BCFCSLO about this for his thoughts & maybe a response from the club. Will let you know what happens. In the meantime, thanks for your responses. COYR 

Archived