IGNORED

Flop flag day

Redmycolour

36 minutes ago, Harry said:

Don’t really wanna go round and round with this mate but the arrests for breaching banning orders is not what I’m talking about. 

Last year I attended and witnessed about 5 ‘youth’ taken away by the old bill before it was even 1pm! Then there were bottles thrown around with gay abandon, not a care in the world that many people there had kids with them, some even babies in buggies. 

As said before, the organisation of the event is great and I have full respect and admiration for those that do this. Sadly though, there is an element that are very keen on acting the ‘big man’ and take the gloss off of it. Those are the people whom I label as belters - not those who make the day run. 

And people are questioning why the ‘overbearing’ Police needed to be there

confusing

:laughcont:

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Don’t really wanna go round and round with this mate but the arrests for breaching banning orders is not what I’m talking about. 

Last year I attended and witnessed about 5 ‘youth’ taken away by the old bill before it was even 1pm! Then there were bottles thrown around with gay abandon, not a care in the world that many people there had kids with them, some even babies in buggies. 

If it was anything like that it would not get the go ahead. 

5 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

With the no pyro no party tshirts being worn today, you would have thought the stewards would have been extra vigilant. 

Hopefully it will just be a mild telling off by the authorities, but if the punishment is more severe we can hardly say we weren't warned.

5 hours ago, WestonRobin said:

That would involve them using common sense - not sure that forms part of either their job description or selection process!

Put bluntly.

If you look at the size of pyro in that picture. Well, short of strip searches, or more realistically use of dogs who are trained specifically for this purpose. Or even perhaps airport style security- you are not going to be able to prevent that fully. Size of it someone could stick it down your trousers if they so chose because it would fit!!

6 hours ago, Three Lions said:

People in the past have been asked and didn't. Handful of arrests in ten years for breaching banning orders, Few lads getting over excited over in ten years plus. Nothing really to get bent out of shape abut there. Potential is always there to do different each season with more help. 

What would you like to see happen there each season? Would be good to see ideas. 

57 minutes ago, AshtonPark said:

What would you like to see happen there each season? Would be good to see ideas. 

In the past theres been a mural painted ready for flag day on the side of the pub, stickers/badge/t shirts sales, collections for junior clubs, collections for flags, new flags, themes but its really down to what people want to dedicate their time to make happen. 

22 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

So where would the buses go if the road was shut?

We drove along the road about 1.15Pm and had to divert down some side roads along with plenty of other cars as the road appeared to be closed ( first we  heard about any closure) as people were completely blocking the road. As we turned off we saw 2 police on horseback who seemed to be at the edge of the group just standing to the side.

No signs or anything that the road was going to be unpassable, side roads were chaos with everyone suddenly trying to find an alternate way through. One way to piss off non footie fans for sure. Surprised people were allowed to block the road.

11 minutes ago, RedM said:

We drove along the road about 1.15Pm and had to divert down some side roads along with plenty of other cars as the road appeared to be closed ( first we  heard about any closure) as people were completely blocking the road. As we turned off we saw 2 police on horseback who seemed to be at the edge of the group just standing to the side.

No signs or anything that the road was going to be unpassable, side roads were chaos with everyone suddenly trying to find an alternate way through. One way to piss off non footie fans for sure. Surprised people were allowed to block the road.

IMG_8652.PNG

6 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

Is that due to the Bridge over Sheene Road ? Maybe if they were single deckers that day ?

But you would the need to double the frequency of the busses to provide the same number of seats.

Given that First Bus struggle with the service they are meant to be running at the moment, I don't imagine they would be open to the idea of shelling out for that.

Might it be a case that Flag Day has outgrow the venue it's held in and to cope with that success an application to move it to a park or something might be a better idea?

On 04/08/2018 at 20:27, AshtonPark said:

The horses have been used for a number of years now to clear the road. What used to be a decent edgy afternoon, is now a family fun day it’s not the same.

Agree entirely. Been attending for years, and what used to be a great day out on the sesh has lost it's appeal. No atmosphere and more of a City family fun open day vibe with kids playing with inflatable balls in the road.

45 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

But you would the need to double the frequency of the busses to provide the same number of seats.

Given that First Bus struggle with the service they are meant to be running at the moment, I don't imagine they would be open to the idea of shelling out for that.

Might it be a case that Flag Day has outgrow the venue it's held in and to cope with that success an application to move it to a park or something might be a better idea?

It might be a consideration although it is really the Three Lions flag day . One alternative is to do a Corteo like they do in Tilburg amongst other places. It would  of course involve short term road closures but would be  30 minute disruption at most so possibly start on West Street outside the Lions then along Winterstoke and end up in Greville Smyth park where people are then off the street and close to the ground.If it was deemed too disruptive to cordon off Winterstoke totally, then it could maybe go down Luckwell and Duckmoor. A&SP love going to Tilburg so they could get over there this season on a fact finding mission and see how its done.

1 hour ago, Bristol Rob said:

.......and take away a big payday for the pub?

21 minutes ago, RedLionLad said:

Does not have to be that way. If this was in the Ashton Park surely the pub could set up a temporary stand even if just selling cans - enough will play the game and buy from there rather than bring their own to ensure it is worth their while,

To be fair it would be a massive event and the great atmosphere may follow into the stadium - there is pros to it too surely?

3 hours ago, Loon plage said:

West Street closed.

As someone who has lived or has family that has lived very near to the Three Lions all my life, i get the point of the event, although I'm not a fan of it, may i ask that someone actually takes a bit of responsibility and tidies up after themselves., My parents house seems to be a regular depository for finished cans as was half of Palmyra Road, Luckwell Road and Duckmoor Road.

This does not happen on any other day of the year. I know as I park in the same spot and walk the same way for every home game and have done so for the last 11 seasons

Why should the local people have to put up with this - !!!!

I'm sure the landlord can do something about it in time for next year.. I'll leave it with you

55 minutes ago, RedLionLad said:

That would be a shame, but if part of the problem is that kids are turning up with a couple of cans from the Offy they are adding to the problem and not contributing to the pub.

Wonder if 'flag day' could be a day long event, families and kids-on-cans could throw things about in a park pre match, and post match some sort of ticketed event in the Lions for the grown ups?

3 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

That would be a shame, but if part of the problem is that kids are turning up with a couple of cans from the Offy they are adding to the problem and not contributing to the pub.

Wonder if 'flag day' could be a day long event, families and kids-on-cans could throw things about in a park pre match, and post match some sort of ticketed event in the Lions for the grown ups?

That's impossible for anyone to stop.  There were people with carrier bags full of cans dotted around, and young lads holding four packs to their six packs.

I'm not sure what can be done to get the Flag Day back to how it used to be. Maybe it has outgrown itself and will never be the same.

16 minutes ago, ashtonphil mk2 said:

Why @Cider-Head23 is this rubbish??

Its all about a bit of respect for the locals who actually have to tolerate the flag day. It was a mess cans and plastic glasses everywhere. Why should the locals have to put up with it. My parents are old and are  very uncomfortable walking to the ground on Flag day.

Come on it's once a year! it's hardly an ongoing issue. 

It's isolated to one pub not a vast area. 

3 minutes ago, RedLionLad said:

That's impossible for anyone to stop.  There were people with carrier bags full of cans dotted around, and young lads holding four packs to their six packs.

I'm not sure what can be done to get the Flag Day back to how it used to be. Maybe it has outgrown itself and will never be the same.

Seems to be causing division, I have only been to one or two flag days (years back) and whilst that sort of carry on isn't my scene, I could see why a lot of people enjoyed it.

Sounds like it has outgrow the space available for it now, a larger venue, a ticketed event, spread over a couple of pubs with a coordinated flag walk down Winterstoke Road for kick off?

Can't imagine the event will be long for this world if there is a small minority who seem to think being awkward is the way to go.

2 minutes ago, Cider-Head23 said:

Unfortunately, that one pub happens to be on a major thoroughfare.

10 minutes ago, RedLionLad said:

With regards to the can issue, there's a very simple explanation - the queues in the bar are astronomical on flag day. Literally 20 min queues to get a pint. So people decide, rather than to wait and pay £3.50-£4 a pint, to go up the corner shop and buy in there. Can't blame them tbh.

We always arrive early and ensure we buy 2/3 pints to support the pub, but by 12.30PM it's impossible to get through the door, so cans it is.

56 minutes ago, Cider-Head23 said:

It's not the event I object to at all, although it is a right royal pain in the bum around the top of West Street, it's the lack of respect by the people who attend regarding the rubbish left.

Yes it is only once a year, thankfully, but it was a case of, if you didn't know your way to the ground just follow the trail of cans and plastic glasses and you'll be fine.

There are consequences to events that clearly haven't been considered, or if they have been, totally ignored.

It does need to be addressed and mentioned otherwise people with think their actions are ok... which they aren't and spoil it for all.

2 hours ago, ashtonphil mk2 said:

Why @Cider-Head23 is this rubbish??

Its all about a bit of respect for the locals who actually have to tolerate the flag day. It was a mess cans and plastic glasses everywhere. Why should the locals have to put up with it. My parents are old and are  very uncomfortable walking to the ground on Flag day.

Its cleared up after in about an hour. Fencing is put up in front of the neighbours houses on the green opposite. Effort is made to respect locals. Money has been raised for local causes. The pub is an active part of the community. Its four hours out of a year. Other events in BS3 last longer.

22 minutes ago, Three Lions said:

Its cleared up after in about an hour. Fencing is put up in front of the neighbours houses on the green opposite. Effort is made to respect locals. Money has been raised for local causes. The pub is an active part of the community. Its four hours out of a year. Other events in BS3 last longer.

Not sure the pub can do much more.

I'm sure the UPFEST weekend didn't get similar criticism.

3 hours ago, Three Lions said:

I've no doubt you do your bit and all that you said it true, but the route down from the pub was a disgrace, which I don't think is the  pub's fault. But it is the fault of the event and the lack of respect that people that attend have for the local community which my family have been a part of for over 50 years..

Archived