IGNORED

Why is everyone so negative?

Eddie Notgetinya

Overall I was pleased with what I saw today as I expected the first game to be a bit slow. I thought the new boys looked like a good fit. We limited what will be a good team to few chances (all three Portuguese players have represented Portugal at every level) and all good teams are built on that foundation.

The only thing that did irk me was there still didn’t seem to be a plan B because we kept lumping the ball in to the box without having a target man type striker on the pitch. It was never going to work. I know Wiemann scored a header but typically, he’s not that type of forward. We should of recognised that and adapted. Hopefully the return of Diedhou will give us that focal point and bring the no.10 into play more.

We will improve and we have a number of players to come back from injury and suspension so plenty to be positive about.

For what it’s worth I spoke to a few Forest fans on the way home including a mate of mine who came with me today. They all thought we looked good and just about edged the game expecting us to be ‘up there’ at the end of the season.

27 minutes ago, NorwichbasedWurzel said:

Overall I was pleased with what I saw today as I expected the first game to be a bit slow. I thought the new boys looked like a good fit. We limited what will be a good team to few chances (all three Portuguese players have represented Portugal at every level) and all good teams are built on that foundation.

The only thing that did irk me was there still didn’t seem to be a plan B because we kept lumping the ball in to the box without having a target man type striker on the pitch. It was never going to work. I know Wiemann scored a header but typically, he’s not that type of forward. We should of recognised that and adapted. Hopefully the return of Diedhou will give us that focal point and bring the no.10 into play more.

We will improve and we have a number of players to come back from injury and suspension so plenty to be positive about.

For what it’s worth I spoke to a few Forest fans on the way home including a mate of mine who came with me today. They all thought we looked good and just about edged the game expecting us to be ‘up there’ at the end of the season.

We won't be 'up there' at the end of the season.

No cutting edge and no creation - mid table mediocrity, is the absolute best we can hope for currently.

There are no 'natural' CF's , bar Fam, in the squad, seen time and again today, crosses into the box and nobody attacks the ball.

Could be a very disappointing and long season.

9 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

No cutting edge and no creation - mid table mediocrity, is the absolute best we can hope for currently.

There are no 'natural' CF's , bar Fam, in the squad, seen time and again today, crosses into the box and nobody attacks the ball.

Could be, but might not be. Put the razor blades away.

That fine line between negativity and realism. I accept we are only one game into the season, but the squad doesn’t look that strong, lacking goal threat, and that little bit of quality. Plenty of hard workers, the midfield trio of Smith, Pack and Brownhill will always make life difficult for opposing teams. 

We are in a very tough league, margins are fine, today gave us both positives and negatives. See where we are at the end of August.

I too don’t think we will be ‘up there’ at the end.

59 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

I'm not negative, but I have to say I thought we were a bit 'meh'.

"Meh" just about sums it up.

Continue like that and we will bob around midtable, flirting more with the play offs on the first half performance and closer to the relegation zone based on the second half.

Desperately need something new and creative in midfield, plus a decent Plan B, especially now we don't have Flint to go up front any more, which I am pretty sure was our only Plan B last season.

1 hour ago, ScottishRed said:

While I don't see us necessarily being up there, I don't think we'll be down there either. Saw little today to change my views.

Could argue Reid wasn't a 'natual' CF either, while he did brilliantly last year he was a centre mid his whole prior career. Weimann can play across the front line IMO and will provide a good option, but he's not a natural CF no.

Mind you, what is a 'natural' CF at a decent level these days? Definitions and expectations change..

I see us being mid table tbh. Maybe 11th something like that. These early injuries don't help either, nor IMO does the shape- 4--3-3 is a must I feel, looking how the League is evolving.

1 hour ago, Judda said:

Can't judge the season on one game in the hot sun...

Yeah we can - we are bristol City after all. 

We are going down - not good enough - LJ out. Today was evidence enough  

The West Brom result was just a blip mind - they are really a good team. You can’t predict the whole season in one game - for WBA  

I had no expectations going into the game due to both sides having a number of new signings, on the face of it you would have put Forest down as favourites due to the money they have spent but I always back us to win at home.

I thought the 1st half we out played them and in the second half they out played us so I think all in all a point each was fair. 

It's always nice to win on the opening day to get a bit of a head start but failing that a point is pretty decent. Avoiding defeat on the opening day imo is quite important. You don't want the optimism of a new season bring wiped away after one game.

If Forest have a good season then we will be able to look back upon this game and see it as a good result.

Funnily enough I was surprised how negative I was at the end of the game - I thought we'd get beaten and if you'd told me we'd only concede 1 goal and get a draw I'd have snapped your arm off, but what disappointed me was the football was poor and once Forest settled, whatever we had practiced all pre season just looked woefully short of being effective at this level. I almost want to use the word naive but I think that would ignore how good Forest are.

Nonetheless we seemed to think we could spread the pitch and string 3-4 across the front and drop the central midfield deep to pass out of defence, despite the 20-30 yards it then left between the two lines, which surrendered central midfield to Forest's ball players once they settled and controlled the pace of the game, and meant we were expecting the likes of Paterson, Weiman and Eliasson to control long passes and find space, which bar the first 10 they never did.

I've been hoping it was simply the stifling heat that restricted us from sustaining the football we played for the first 10 minutes and making runs and exchanges to move the ball through them, but it really isn't a good sign when our age old problems of lack of Plan B are apparent now even on day 1! Slow it down and drop Pack and Brownhill deeper and straight away we created little or nothing unless someone ran with the ball, while looking horribly lightweight up front.

We barely affected the game for the last 70 and in terms of impact from the numbers we had forward, it was poor. And if Djuric wasn't on the bench because this transfer interest is real, I'm really astounded, as last season "target man" was LJ's most basic Plan B yet we had nothing like it v Forest. There's no doubt we're going to need to allow time for these players to click and that's okay, but I do think it was a poor performance given the amount of preparation. 

Few other things - if you were looking for an identity from us, the only thing you'd say for certain is "playing out from the back". But splitting the two centre backs and passing out through Webster on the right every time. Seriously? Surely we give them a few different looks so they don't know what to expect. By the end they were all sitting on Webster because they knew what we'd do every time. Reminded me of that Swindon team a few years ago. Just mistakes waiting to happen.

And we made a lot of mistakes - poor passes, loose touches. Not well drilled at all. And you also can't go into the opening game of the season carrying players already. Joe Bryan looked like his mind was elsewhere and we may as well sell him if he's going to play like that. Paterson was trying to be too cute against his old side, O'Dowda just wasn't ready, Brownhill got lost in the game. Pack was the only player who looked comfortable in the company of Forest's players.

I'm not on a downer as I expected us to struggle early in the season, and not having Famara is an added complication, but I thought there was enough there in our options from the summer recruitment to at least create some sustained attacking threat - but if what we saw from c. 20th minute to the end as a pattern of play to open them up, was the net result of our pre-season work, it's pretty depressing. There was little impact from our possession and so few ideas too.   

5 hours ago, Dr Balls said:

"Meh" just about sums it up.

Continue like that and we will bob around midtable, flirting more with the play offs on the first half performance and closer to the relegation zone based on the second half.

Desperately need something new and creative in midfield, plus a decent Plan B, especially now we don't have Flint to go up front any more, which I am pretty sure was our only Plan B last season.

Don't hold your breath on the creative centre mid with a bite-wev'e needed to address this for how long?....im not sure of the number of windows Lee has had to deal with it,but enough to maybe say he doesn't recognize the 'need!

Not a general feeling negativity. It's fake news. Just played preseason favorite justly so, and gave a good account. We were best team first half, they best second half. So many positives from today. New players all looked good and fitted in well. Next up Boro another bookies favorite at home.  

I will be surprised if any team finishing above florist is not promoted. 

6 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

Isn't it all about expectations? I have no expectations to be threatening the top 6, that would be a nice bonus. Midtable would do me, that's about our rightful place isn't it? That to me, is stability, hence progress. 

They say the happiest people are the most realistic people. Appreciate what they have so you may be onto something. I was pleased to get on the board.

7 hours ago, NorwichbasedWurzel said:

Forest had 16 shots to our 8 so quite a few chances really. :dunno:

We started with four new signings on the pitch, and two lads who barely played for long period of last season, and threw another debutant on as a sub, so not disappointed that we managed a point against hotly tipped pre-season favourites.

Bolton away should be interesting in light of their win against the Baggies; imagine they’ll be up for it, and after a really sloppy loss there during what was a notable slump in league form last season, a draw or win would be welcome.

See us very much as a mid table side this year, so hard to get too down taking a point from a side spending £12+ million on players.

12 minutes ago, samo II said:

We started with four new signings on the pitch, and two lads who barely played for long period of last season, and threw another debutant on as a sub, so not disappointed that we managed a point against hotly tipped pre-season favourites.

Bolton away should be interesting in light of their win against the Baggies; imagine they’ll be up for it, and after a really sloppy loss there during what was a notable slump in league form last season, a draw or win would be welcome.

See us very much as a mid table side this year, so hard to get too down taking a point from a side spending £12+ million on players.

Try doubling that!

26 minutes ago, downendcity said:

if City was in a two horse race some of our fans would moan that we could do no better than finish last but one.

yes we know and yes others would moan at them moaning....nothing changes, round and round we go.

Thanks Olé. You wrote my thoughts on the performance so well that I cannot add or alter any part. 

Except to say that this was what I feared it would be like. The dates on the season have changed but not the performance. This was the same as Sheffield United in early May, except that a mediocre Forest didn't hammer three by half time. 

Did anyone else think theirs was a bloody good goal?

Hey, we didn't lose, had the better of the 1st half, found a pretty confident looking keeper, Wiemann scored on debut...

No way should we be fed up. Forest are one of the big guns this season without doubt, so that's a decent start in my book.

Now for an away game...   oh

All went to pot when the Derrick Williams deal fell through IMO. 

In all seriousness, the reaction to yesterday about sums up this forum to be honest. 

Opening day affairs are often cagey. We’re without our best striker yet still held a team who have, man for man, considerably more talented players, and who should be in the mix come the end of the season. We also created opportunities for more, we hardly fluked a point. We had as many attempts on goal as they did. 

On to the next. 

8 hours ago, NorwichbasedWurzel said:

Can't help thinking they were being kind. I thought they were some way better than us, movement ,passing , intensity and threat. We did ok , and overall maybe deserved a point as they didn't create too many chances. I think they will improve and be right up there, I think we will improve and hopefully be solid upper mid table, but not 'up there' .
I knew it would be a tough game and would have taken a point before the game started, but what we do have is players to come in and options, over all steady start but lets wait and see.

Archived