IGNORED

Marlon Pack ....... quality

1960maaan

8 hours ago, spudski said:

It will be instruction to do so Dave...he'd be bollocked otherwise.

In which case, now he’s captain, he should be telling coaching staff that we give up possession too easy with men committed forward if we continue that tactic.  At times he can continue to drive forward and then play a shorter pass.  Unless the pass is pinpoint the receiver has too much to do to keep it in, and momentum is lost.

Saturday was the most Hollywood passes i’ve Seen in a long time from Marlon.  He’s been more frugal with them of late.

7 hours ago, Davefevs said:

In which case, now he’s captain, he should be telling coaching staff that we give up possession too easy with men committed forward if we continue that tactic.  At times he can continue to drive forward and then play a shorter pass.  Unless the pass is pinpoint the receiver has too much to do to keep it in, and momentum is lost.

Saturday was the most Hollywood passes i’ve Seen in a long time from Marlon.  He’s been more frugal with them of late.

I haven't seen the Bolton game but I imagine it was fully intentional. Now we are playing with pacey wide players I guess the idea is to get behind the defence for our fast players to run on to.

If it was tactical, it makes sense to me - and as he's probably our best passer it makes sense for him to be making those plays. 

Were O'Dowda and Eliasson playing as typical wingers? Or were they more inverted ala Brownhill last season?

12 minutes ago, Gimme Shelton said:

I think Baker did his little skip after the ball was past him,dont know why he did it though !

Poor from Baker. He’s caught upfield and when he needs to retreat he’s too slow - no urgency to get back (this was my huge problem I had with Bryan, and now Baker is at it grrrrrr). If you see COD, he starts 10 yards further advanced than Baker, yet COD sprints back to try to help Kelly block the cross. Baker meanwhile had ambled his way back. Had he put in as much effort as COD then he’d be a few yards deeper and able to cut that ball out. 

As it was, Baker thought Pack would make it, but Pack was running toward his own goal when the cross came in, so no blame to him as he’s on the turn and can’t make a move toward the ball. 

This is all on Baker for me. Sprint back to your position and you stop that goal. Easy. 

As said above, this was my biggest problem with Bryan. The failure to recover position/shape quickly when possession is lost. All it takes is a 5 second sprint rather than a 10 second amble and goals like this are prevented. Effort and desire. Both lacking in this instance from Mr Baker I’m afraid. 

Bryan's goal against Man U was nicely picked out and weighted by Pack.

I think each season that Pack is probably the player who has improved the most and he's probably always covered more ground than any other player. Fantastic for a player who was the target of the boo boys both at the ground and on OTIB. If I has another good season I can see him moving on.

On 11/08/2018 at 17:36, 1960maaan said:

Not sure how I was supposed to end the heading, fact or end of ? you get the gist .
I've liked him for some time but he has improved year on year, along similar lines to how Flint improved.  He has always had more to his game than 'just' a holding MF but even now and then he comes up with a pass that shows his vision, like today.

**** me, what a pass!  and the way he was looking towards the corner flag when he hit it.  Wonderful, neat finish too

On 11/08/2018 at 19:15, Harry said:

Well I’m one of those who didn’t rate Skuse and yet I totally rate Pack. To your untrained eye all you see is a deep-lying midfielder and say that they do the same job. That’s nonsense and Pack is a far far far more superior footballer than Skuse ever was. 

That pass from Pack today has never been in Skuse’s locker. Only thing Skuse had over Pack was a bit of pace - though Skuse tended to never use that ability and meandered or trotted his way about for 90 mins. 

They do completely different jobs. Just because they operate in the same area of the pitch does not make them similar players. 

Skuse had the most unbelievable engine and could box to box that Marlon would never match. Skuse's passing was better than most seem to think who have posted so far. The difference for me is the "picking of the pass", where Marlon is far superior. Marlon sees what CS wouldnt. 

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Poor from Baker. He’s caught upfield and when he needs to retreat he’s too slow - no urgency to get back (this was my huge problem I had with Bryan, and now Baker is at it grrrrrr). If you see COD, he starts 10 yards further advanced than Baker, yet COD sprints back to try to help Kelly block the cross. Baker meanwhile had ambled his way back. Had he put in as much effort as COD then he’d be a few yards deeper and able to cut that ball out. 

As it was, Baker thought Pack would make it, but Pack was running toward his own goal when the cross came in, so no blame to him as he’s on the turn and can’t make a move toward the ball. 

This is all on Baker for me. Sprint back to your position and you stop that goal. Easy. 

As said above, this was my biggest problem with Bryan. The failure to recover position/shape quickly when possession is lost. All it takes is a 5 second sprint rather than a 10 second amble and goals like this are prevented. Effort and desire. Both lacking in this instance from Mr Baker I’m afraid. 

Completely agree. Joe sometimes did not look interested/capable. Frustrating. I assume that won't be tolerated at Fulham.

On 12/08/2018 at 07:46, Phileas Fogg said:

I’d be quite interested to see Pack play further forward, almost as a 10. I appreciate he hasn’t got the pace or pressing ability that LJ would want there, but imagine the damage he could cause with his passing in that role with Eisa or Weimann playing off him. 

He can also shoot very well too and might get a few more goals from range. Good in the air too so might get a few headed goals from late runs into the box.

I’m thinking a similar sort of role to one Fabregas has played in the past. 

I think Josh Brownhill would benefit more from that role. Pack simply has to play in the middle.

6 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I haven't seen the Bolton game but I imagine it was fully intentional. Now we are playing with pacey wide players I guess the idea is to get behind the defence for our fast players to run on to.

but they aren’t getting behind because Bolton’s FBs were sat deeper and therefore 5-10 yards inside them, but level.  There was no real advantage to be gained by trying to hit a pass 40 yards over the FB’s head.

If it was tactical, it makes sense to me - and as he's probably our best passer it makes sense for him to be making those plays. 

No doubt he can hit those passes, just were a bit unnecessary, and too early at times.

Were O'Dowda and Eliasson playing as typical wingers? Or were they more inverted ala Brownhill last season?

Wingers, but too high a starting position.  Could’ve come 10 yards short, got a ball from Pack on the deck and faced up their FB.  If the FB comes with them, then huge hole down the sides of the CBs for Weimann to exploit.

Would love to hear LJ and Co’s response to this.

5 hours ago, Harry said:

Bryan seemed to be up to the same habits for Fulham Saturday, based on the highlights. Seemed a bit high at times and reacting late to what was happening the other side when he was supposed to be shuffling round

Archived