IGNORED

Korey Smith out for 5-6 months

JasonM88

9 minutes ago, Dredd said:

Is this not becoming too much of a coincidence now. Our injury record over last season and continuing into this is appalling. It can’t all be bad luck. Are training/recovery methods being looked at?

This was during a game. So it’s a little harsh to blame it on the training methods?

I think LJ wants us to play a particular way but perhaps he doesn’t have the players who can sustain that performance for a long period of time, hence the injury crisis.

Or the pressing game in general can just cause more injuries? 

It seems Pack and Brownhill are the first choice there at the moment and with Walsh, Morrell and O’dowda able to play it’s not the disaster that it might’ve been.  I like Korey though, especially in the more physical games. I’m sure our training methods are rigourously scrutinised and it’s nithing more that bad luck.  Even with a slightly deeper squad now though it’s untealust to expect us to compete at the top end with back up players.

1 hour ago, RedM said:

Loan window still open at least. Best these things happen now. (Desperately looking for some positives here).

1 hour ago, Shtanley said:

Pack and Brownhill starting together centrally will be a good thing.

Yep, feel that Marlon missed Josh on Saturday.

1 hour ago, brad blit said:

Might force LJ to play Brownhill in the middle, and actually start playing 2 wingers considering we have Elliasson, COD and Watkins (plus Hakeeb when fit) who can play there, instead of playing people in incorrect positions (ie Watkins upfront) 

Indeed.  Perhaps a blessing...although there are enough games where Korey hasn’t played and you realise what you miss.  You e got to think that LJ;s decision to play Marlon and Josh in the first two league games was an indication as to what he sees as his strongest pairing.

1 hour ago, JasonM88 said:

Brownhill has been playing in the middle. We played 4-3-3 of Saturday. I feel that is probably what we’ll go for when Diedhoui is fit. However I’m now not sure it will work without Smith in there. 

O’Dowda has been playing in centre mid for Ireland, perhaps we’ll see that now. 

Did we?  Pretty sure it was 442/4411 depending on how far forward you thought Weimann played?

5 minutes ago, The Chaplain said:

It seems Pack and Brownhill are the first choice there at the moment and with Walsh, Morrell and O’dowda able to play it’s not the disaster that it might’ve been.  I like Korey though, especially in the more physical games. I’m sure our training methods are rigourously scrutinised and it’s nithing more that bad luck.  Even with a slightly deeper squad now though it’s untealust to expect us to compete at the top end with back up players.

Sometimes LJ is better when he has less choice / less opportunity to overthink it.

If there’s a common theme from Barnsley and Oldham fans it’s that the best runs came when he didn’t have much choice who to pick.  That correlates with last Oct/Nov/Dec!!

13 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

This was during a game. So it’s a little harsh to blame it on the training methods?

I think LJ wants us to play a particular way but perhaps he doesn’t have the players who can sustain that performance for a long period of time, hence the injury crisis.

Or the pressing game in general can just cause more injuries? 

I get it came in a game but training too hard can weaken areas making them susceptible to injury. Same as not recovering properly 

1 hour ago, old_eastender said:

Is it just bad luck though?

Does make you wonder if the club has enough focus on exercising to promote flexibility and suppleness, as well as building up muscle strength...

Don't know about that but LJ remarked that he keeps being told that Bailey Wright will be back in 4 or 5 days. Not best pleased with the medical staff it seems.

2 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Don't know about that but LJ remarked that he keeps being told that Bailey Wright will be back in 4 or 5 days. Not best pleased with the medical staff it seems.

And yet we let Steve Allen go who performed miracles last season with so many serious long term injuries.

Underlines how we’re now doing things very much on the cheap.

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

... and so it continues. <_<

Fortunately, we have enough midfielders to live without him for a bit.

If another defender gets crocked however, i may have to bring my football boots to the next game. Can always get an XL kit from the shop of called upon.

Attwoolls, Whitminster can surely rig you up with a custom job.

Bad times.

With the Famara suspension and injuries we suddenly look to be showing a lack of depth, which is a worry so early in a season.

Brownhill, Pack, Walsh and I guess Hegeler (if he’s fit or not heading out the door before the international window closes) can cover in the middle, but a fit and firing Korey Smith is for me our best central player, so that is a massive loss.

I do think the seeming reticence to bring in loan players is strange; yes, we got our fingers burnt with the lads in January, but in a situation like this we’re vulnerable to suspensions and further injuries if we aren’t careful.

And what’s happening with Joe Morrell? Came on leaps and bounds as a central midfielder last season, and is one of the few youth prospects we’ve not farmer out yet. Time for the ‘pathway’ to sing for its supper?

32 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Is he actually having an operation...or are they going in to have a look around.  I guess it doesn’t look good though.

Said they were going to operate to look for damage. Think that automatically makes it a few weeks. If there is any damage then you’d assume 8-12 weeks

Archived