IGNORED

VILLA

Dolman Block B

12 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I think I am going to save this thread somewhere for the next time someone says that LJ has spent "loads of money" in the last two years. People need to realise that the world has moved on and the money we are spending is the equivalent what Alan Dicks was spending in the 70's. 

Not to be overlooked that when we got into the First division we were one of the top payers .

28 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Not to be overlooked that when we got into the First division we were one of the top payers .

Read somewhere that we had one of the top wage bills in the First Division itself when we were up there- behind Liverpool and a few others.

No idea how true that is, but it would help to explain our subsequent slide and near bankruptcy.

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Read somewhere that we had one of the top wage bills in the First Division itself when we were up there- behind Liverpool and a few others.

No idea how true that is, but it would help to explain our subsequent slide and near bankruptcy.

It's true , lots of evidence to support the fact .

Peter Cormack confirmed it in his book ' From the Cowshed to the Kop ' .

To be fair to the club it was probably the only way to get experienced players to join us and keep hold of our better players.

Arsenal wanted to sign our two best players when we went up but we resisted.

We weren't exactly a dream move for most footballers ( how things change !!! ) and the strain of fighting relegation wasn't a big draw either.

14 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

The source was the excellent David Woods and only Liverpool and Everton had higher costs.

We abandoned the youth policy and went for broke. Literally.

3 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

It's true , lots of evidence to support the fact .

Peter Cormack confirmed it in his book ' From the Cowshed to the Kop ' .

To be fair to the club it was probably the only way to get experienced players to join us and keep hold of our better players.

Arsenal wanted to sign our two best players when we went up but we resisted.

We weren't exactly a dream move for most footballers ( how things change !!! ) and the strain of fighting relegation wasn't a big draw either.

Yeah, thought it had some truth. Paying over the odds to compensate for lack of pulling power- along those lines.

3 minutes ago, chinapig said:

The source was the excellent David Woods and only Liverpool and Everton had higher costs.

We abandoned the youth policy and went for broke. Literally.

That's where I think I heard/read it. Long long contracts on big wages I believe- 3rd in the League sounds right.

As a club we must never forget these lessons- even though the football landscape differs now and while we have SL he won't put us in that position- but we must never. He could stop us going bankrupt but a modern day equivalent maybe (though far from as stark) being stripped of automatic promotion for wild spending.

I would seriously be annoyed if we are losing out to players of this calibre because we refuse to pay the wages ! , I'm afraid if you want success in the this division now, you have to be prepared to pay for it . We have lost out on top players over the last 3 seasons (primarily strikers) where we agree to pay the players value  ( if I remember correctly some 9 million for Andre Grey) but lose the player to another club where they will pay the wage demand. Totally fed up with watching players walk away and sign for Cardiff, Wolves, Burnley, Boro , Leeds, Villa, Forest! We have a first class stadium , excellent training ground which is always improving , superb infrastructure, regular 20k + gates and Bristol is a well publicised fantastic city to live. We can and should attract the best players to our club but in order for them to sign we MUST pay wages. Totally fed up with watching players walk away and sign for Cardiff, Wolves, Burnley, Boro , Leeds, Villa, Forest etc. .

COYR  

9 minutes ago, EASTEND WURZEL said:

I would seriously be annoyed if we are losing out to players of this calibre because we refuse to pay the wages ! , I'm afraid if you want success in the this division now, you have to be prepared to pay for it . We have lost out on top players over the last 3 seasons (primarily strikers) where we agree to pay the players value  ( if I remember correctly some 9 million for Andre Grey) but lose the player to another club where they will pay the wage demand. Totally fed up with watching players walk away and sign for Cardiff, Wolves, Burnley, Boro , Leeds, Villa, Forest! We have a first class stadium , excellent training ground which is always improving , superb infrastructure, regular 20k + gates and Bristol is a well publicised fantastic city to live. We can and should attract the best players to our club but in order for them to sign we MUST pay wages. Totally fed up with watching players walk away and sign for Cardiff, Wolves, Burnley, Boro , Leeds, Villa, Forest etc. .

COYR  

There's a variety of reasons though, why some players are more affordable for others than us- that said we do need to be a bit more adventurous and flexible with our wage policy.#

We talk about non matchday revenue generating facilities? All those clubs have it, that you listed- with the probable exception of Burnley.

Plenty of these clubs are ex PL medium-long run, they are also likely to have an impressive training ground.

Infrastructure? Improving all the time, but still a work in progress- Matthieu Louis Jean who played an important role in signing Kodjia in 2015...he left to pastures new in 2016 and doesn't appear to have been replaced with a dedicated overseas scout.

That's before we even get onto the effect of parachute payments...

Bristol is a great city to live, granted.

Ran out of time to edit @EASTEND WURZEL, so here's a quick reason why we struggle to compete and therefore need creativity plus innovation in the transfer market. 14th highest revenue or joint 12th in the Championship in 2016/17.Barnsley wouldn't have outstripped us, I think it's fair to say so that's almost certainly right.

DlG6y8fWwAIyEt6.jpg:large

DlG60E3XoAAfl9q.jpg

As we can see, the picture improves here- but not by a huge amount. 11th but joint 9th when put another way- reduces the gap fairly significantly however. That said, there are some big underachievers and overachievers in that list!

48 minutes ago, EASTEND WURZEL said:

I would seriously be annoyed if we are losing out to players of this calibre because we refuse to pay the wages !

Not to disagree with your sentiment at all, but it's important to keep reminding ourselves that wages are the only true measure of investment/spending. 

And the fact is we are not a big spender. Not even close. That's not a slight on SL, who bankrolls the club a huge amount, but he is fiscally conservative.

While we may have spent £20-30m over the last few years, it isn't really big spending without big wages, as it is money that we aim for >100% return on.

SL owns an investment firm, he knows this. If you spend wisely, it costs nothing, just buying assets that hold their value - with small risk that they don't.

The problem is it feels like the purse strings had loosened, so fans now wonder why we still miss out on players. But wages are a totally different game.

The return on big wages are far less clear or guaranteed (promotion is the only real return) it is mainly just money out the door - and SL doesn't do that.

The whole "big spending" tag is confused. Transfer fees are no reflection of willingness to spend money or gamble. The fact is we're NOT big spenders.

True "big spending" is rapidly inflating your wage bill, which is simply burning cash in the hope of a return. And once you start that, it tends to snowball.

Archived